• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Difficulties with focus when taking birds in flight. (1 Viewer)

The logic falls down if the meter is working properly, Adrian..!

;)

But if the highlights are hotter than the meter says they are, then I doubt it would matter that the reflected and indicent readings were equal - they'd both be too hot.

Further to my post of the 12th May, and I quote "So as tdodd said "(b) there is a calibration service for them - so I guess they can go out of whack." I have used the links you kindly provided and have contacted Megatron Ltd in London who indeed confirm that they can calibrate and if necessary replace the selenium cell for the modest sum of £42 all in. The meter will be in the post to them today."

Unbelievably good service from Megatron - sent the meter on Monday afternoon, back in this morning's post, the cell having been replaced and the instument calibrated. No chance to play around with it yet as it is pouring with rain here, but I'm looking forward to using manual camera settings from metered incident light readings combined with 9 point autofocus and AI Servo to see if I can improve my "birds in flight" keepers.

Adrian

Last edited:
I'm considering getting myself a flash meter and have been browsing the Sekonic website to figure out which unit will best suit my needs. I stumbled across this page....

http://www.sekonic.com/classroom/classroom_2.asp

which demonstrates very nicely how you can nail your results perfectly by metering incident light and how badly you can screw things up by metering reflected light, if you do not appreciate the significance of the tonal balance in whatever subject/scene you are metering. Once you have metered correctly, however you choose to accomplish that, by then setting exposure manually you will be locked in to accurate exposures for any subject/scene receiving equivalent incident lighting. Just imagine the white/grey/black plates are white/grey/black birds :)

A very informative and interesting thread, thanks to all for sharing their info, I will try and put some into use.
regards I4ani.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back