• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Globe effect optical illusion ? (1 Viewer)

maico

Stare at the still image...it moves

Attachments

• 70ad941b2bbe670cd2e2619eda0c44a9_0_950.jpg
    70ad941b2bbe670cd2e2619eda0c44a9_0_950.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
I couldn't get it to move !?!

I thought I saw a unicorn beginning to emerge though like one of those 3D pictures :)

Oh, and there's a distinct colour cast too ....... ;)

Chosun :gh:

It moves for me.

If there is a tiny white spot on the ceiling from a gap in the curtains, from sun illumination, the spot moves constantly, yet I realise it is actually standing still.

If a round torch beam shines an extended spot on a wall or ceiling in a darkish room, then the spot turns into a quite thin oval as I move the torch beam. As soon as the movement stops the spot is round again.

The eyes are strange things, easily fooled.

Stare at the still image...it moves

Yep; quite fast, too. With the image below, it is plain to see the right side of the opened leaf is darker than the one on the left. But when two or three fingers are placed in the center, it is very plain we were wrong. They are the SAME darkness.

That's why I say that some of the things people CLAIM to see ... they don't! :cat:

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 9.01.28 PM copy 3.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 9.01.28 PM copy 3.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Pretty neat. At first I could not see it move...until I clicked on the thumbnail and enlarged the picture. Movement varies with distance and where you are looking at on the illusion.

Enlarged full screen I see all 3 of the major elements moving. You need to view the whole image for the effect.

This exercise has nothing to do with actual viewing with binoculars.

Jerry

It has a lot to do with actual viewing through binoculars...if you are affected by rolling ball. Aside from the strange patterns in the OP illusion, that is just about how a Swarovski SV EL image looks to me when I'm moving the binocular, which is the precise reason I did not keep any of the EL SV I have owned. I'd have the 8.5x42 SV if that were not the case. Excellent binocular aside from the RB.

You are obviously not affected by the phenomena. Go somewhere and thank your lucky stars for that ;). Evidently most people, like you, are not, but for the minority of us who are it is a different matter entirely. If you are not affected you simply have no idea how it affects the view :eek!:.

I sometimes think that if I had the proverbial three wishes, one of them would be to insure all binocular users would (for a short time only, I'd not wish my affliction on anybody permanently) be affected by RB like the SV EL affects me. That would put a rapid end to the controversy over what it is and whether or not it even exists.

Last edited:
I sometimes think that if I had the proverbial three wishes, one of them would be to insure all binocular users would (for a short time only, I'd not wish my affliction on anybody permanently) be affected by RB like the SV EL affects me. ....

And your other two wishes (based on your first one, I want to get prepared)?
;)

And your other two wishes (based on your first one, I want to get prepared)?
;)

I'd probably drop dead if I were offered the three wishes! ;) However those other two would leave binocular use unaffected and it is uncertain I'd use the first as indicated, however it is something I have considered.

Pileatus

I full well realize there is a proven, documented phenomena called the globe effect. However there are many people, who have posted that is it an imaginary phenomena or that you will get used to it and that Swarovski would never put things like that into the SV, etc, etc, etc. All sorts of denial exists, in spite of the fact it is a real deal. Just my way of tweaking their chain I suppose. I will always maintain that you have no idea of what it is really like unless you can see it for yourself.

Last edited:
The only downside to me regarding the SV EL models I have is in the panning mode, the EDG to me provides the best compromise in flat views, no globe effect. I find the EL SV 12X50 to have the least effect of the globe when panning out of the current models I have (8.5X42 and the 10X50).

Andy W.

How bizarre !

This coloured graphic seems to move much more readily for me !

44560375_10217136764196178_6132292470584639488_n-1.jpg

The trick to making it move seems to be looking at the centre of conical column, or the leading edge of the ball. If I look at the far (rhs) edge of the conical coloumn - pretty much no movement.

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
I guess something in the image presented to the brain by the eye would be a "no" answer, but something conjured up by the brain would be answered "yes".

I would further guess that if you can photograph it (no brain involved) the answer is probably "no".

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back