• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white black bird (1 Viewer)

dazvti

hello, ive recently seen a white blackbird in my garden, and i was wondering how rare they are? i believe there was two of them but only seem to see the one anymore. thanks

hello, ive recently seen a white blackbird in my garden, and i was wondering how rare they are? i believe there was two of them but only seem to see the one anymore. thanks

Not particularly uncommon - I probably see about one a year that is at least partially white. All white is reasonably rare.

Welcome to the forum.

i believe there was two of them but only seem to see the one anymore.

As mentioned above it is not uncommon to see partially white blackbirds (or other species for that matter), totally white are rarer but still not unheard of. Your bird(s) may be albino or partial albino where there is no pigment at all giving a white appearance, or leucistic where there is some pigment but it is very faint, probably appearing a very pale brown. If you take a look at this page you'll see some examples.

Sadly the fact that there were two and now only one is however a fairly typical story when it comes to albinos of many creatures - generally they stand out like a sore thumb which makes them vulnerable to predators.

Last edited:
This rather handsome fella was noted locally by a friend of mine in Derbyshire.
Dont know if he still survives but I havent seen another like this before.

Attachments

• Ken Dornings Blackbird (Medium).JPG
    Ken Dornings Blackbird (Medium).JPG
    148 KB · Views: 140
We had an all-white blackbird for two or three years here in Southampton (near the edge of the Lower Test Marshes). I often seen partial albino ones, usually with just a few white feathers. This all-white bird seemed to be able to fend for itself, despite the many black Blackbirds in its environment, not to mention the Sparrowhawks, Kestrels, Peregrines, Buzzards, Hobbies, and the occasional Hen Harriers, Marsh Harriers, Red Kites and Ospreys (okay - maybe Ospreys wouldn't mistake a Whitebird for a whitebait).
Hmm - that's not a bad list of raptors...maybe my local patch is worth it after all :)

David

IIRC Calke Abbey (nr Derby) has a large selection of albino and partially albino birds in a taxidermy collection.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back