• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with Swarovski 80HD (1 Viewer)

I will be using the DCA to mount my Cannon 7D. Can anyone enlighten me on proper focusing technique since auto focus is not an option. Particularly, is live view a practical solution? This is my wife's scope and I will have less stress if it doesn't take ages to get the pic. I need to get on and off in a hurry so she can get back to viewing.

I haven't used the 7D but if you are able to quickly zoom in with digital zoom to focus on the lcd then it should be ok. It's a bit more of a problem with moving subjects ( eg feedng waders or warblers ) or birds at long distance.
Neil.

I use a 7D with a Helios 58mm f/2 lens attached via a DCA on the same scope. My technique is to locate the subject and prefocus the scope, attach the camera leaving the lens focused on infinity, adjust the balance of the setup, activate Live View and, if need be, use the 5x magnifier to aid precise focus. In bright conditions I find a magnifying loupe an advantage. I recommend using a remote release to minimise camera shake.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back