• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8.5x 42 or something else (1 Viewer)

Rev44

I currently own the SLC hd 10x42. I really like them but they might be a bit much in the woods for me. Sometimes hard to pick up objects right away. I am thinking about getting a different pair and looking at the 8.5x42. One question I have is can you get them new without the field pro package or is that all they offer? Just looking to see if I can get them at a better price. Thanks

The 8.5x42 SV is one of the best, but don't sleep on the 8x42 SLCHD which to me has very similar optics, aside from the the flattened field and better control of glare.
All of the current gen alpha models compete well with the SV series, but they will each have trade offs.

Do not expect a pre FP model to be much cheaper, as when I last saw new old stock models, they were going for around 2200 I believe.

Justin

The 8.5x42 SV is one of the best, but don't sleep on the 8x42 SLCHD which to me has very similar optics, aside from the the flattened field and better control of glare.
All of the current gen alpha models compete well with the SV series, but they will each have trade offs.

Do not expect a pre FP model to be much cheaper, as when I last saw new old stock models, they were going for around 2200 I believe.

Justin
Thanks for the info! I really like the SLC I have except for the FOV. Maybe I should just go with the 8x42 SLC instead of spending the extra amount on something like the 8.5x42

I'm sure someone else will say this before long, but if it's a wide field of view you're after perhaps the 8.5x42 isn't the best option. Obviously the Zeiss 8x42 sf should be considered with it's massive fov, or if you want to stick with Swarovski the 8x32 is excellent with a wide flat fov and I reckon would compliment the 10x42 really well as you'd have a smaller binocular when you want to travel a bit lighter. If you don't want to spend so much there's also the Nikon HG 8x42 and 8x30 models to consider and each have a nice wide field of view and are very sharp in the middle. I personally think the Swarovski 8x32 FP model would compliment your 10x42 best. By all accounts the FP version has less of the glare issues that some people reported on the earlier versions, so worth getting the latest for this model.

Thank you. I have done a little research on the Zeiss. Looks like a great bino in a 8x. I won't be able to keep my slc along with getting another pair. Kinda why I am having a hard time figuring out what route to go because I can only purchase one bino. Want to make sure it's the right one. And without trying all of them out makes it even more difficult. I have been doing a ton of reading and learning. Trying to get as much info as I can on all my options.

Forgot to add that is doesn't have to be the best FOV bino out there. Just wanted something a little better than my 10x.

Is the 10x42 SLC a recent purchase that you can return for a full refund? If so then just go with your plan for the 8.5x42, which is excellent or if you like the 10x42 format try the 10x42 sf, which has a bigger field of view than the 10x42 SLC. If you'd have to trade in the 10x42 SLC to buy another I'd be concerned that it's an expensive exercise and you might miss some of the qualities of the 10x42 SLC. In that case I'd keep the 10x42 SLC and go for a mid-range 8x42 or 8x30/32 with a wide fov for those occasions such as in woodland when you want the wider fov.

I don't think there's anyone on this forum who would say there's a single binocular that fulfills everything they want (though I'm sure people have a favorite binocular).

Last edited:
Out of those suggested so far I would only opt for the 8.5X42 or the 8X32 SV if you have to sell your 10X42 EL.
If you can squeeze out funds for a Sightron 8X32 at less than $200 or take a look at some Optricon 8X32 or 7X42 models to complement the 10X42. They are very moderately priced.

Andy W.

Is the 10x42 SLC a recent purchase that you can return for a full refund? If so then just go with your plan for the 8.5x42, which is excellent or if you like the 10x42 format try the 10x42 sf, which has a bigger field of view than the 10x42 SLC. If you'd have to trade in the 10x42 SLC to buy another I'd be concerned that it's an expensive exercise and you might miss some of the qualities of the 10x42 SLC. In that case I'd keep the 10x42 SLC and go for a mid-range 8x42 or 8x30/32 with a wide fov for those occasions such as in woodland when you want the wider fov.

I don't think there's anyone on this forum who would say there's a single binocular that fulfills everything they want (though I'm sure people have a favorite binocular).
I bought them last year. Doug at camerland told me to give him a call. That is where I bought them. It is the FOV for the reason to look for something else. With what I use them for just need something with a better FOV.

Out of those suggested so far I would only opt for the 8.5X42 or the 8X32 SV if you have to sell your 10X42 EL.
If you can squeeze out funds for a Sightron 8X32 at less than $200 or take a look at some Optricon 8X32 or 7X42 models to complement the 10X42. They are very moderately priced.

Andy W.
I will probably have to sell or trade in the 10x SLC. Just trying to figure out if I can go up that much in price for the 8.5 or find something for around the price I bought my slc for. Wish I could afford a great 10x and 8x

I would keep the 10X SLC ( I made a mistake misunderstanding that it was the EL SV 10X42) and just save up and get a good 8X. The two formats 8 and 10X42 are the most versatile configurations. After you have used a new 8X for a while, you may then want the 10X back, and if you sell the SLC, you will never recover the cost.

Another solution, financially the least burdensome, is to trade your 10X42 for an 8X42 SLC.
Just my 2 cents.

Andy W.

I will probably have to sell or trade in the 10x SLC. Just trying to figure out if I can go up that much in price for the 8.5 or find something for around the price I bought my slc for. Wish I could afford a great 10x and 8x

I'd strongly recommend just getting the 8x42 SLC-HD. I'm sure you could probably do a straight up swap on certain forums, as 10x is valued more than 8x in some communities (namely: hunters). The 8.5x Swarovision is a great pair of optics, but I don't think the 8x42 SLC HD loses much to them (the SLC HD is bright, sharp, and fairly color neutral). Also to consider, the ergonomics and focus speed are quite different with the SV and may not suit you as well as the SLC-HD you've been accustomed with. I've owned the 8x42 SLC HD, 10x42 EL (non-SV), and 8x32 SV AND spent tons of field time with a borrowed 8.5x42 SV, so I am familiar with all models mentioned. The biggest advantage of the Swarovision over the SLC-HD is the near distortion free image edge to edge, but I personally found the SV to have slightly more chromatic aberration and to be more prone to glare than the SLC-HD; the SV may be slightly more color neutral, but that's nitpicking to the extreme as I'd consider both quite neutral, moreso than any other alpha I've owned or used.

I'm of the opinion that you don't necessarily need an 8x and a 10x - a 10x really doesn't provide that much more as you have to factor in hand shake and a dimmer image. I'd rather have an 8x and a small scope (ED 50 or similar) or a pair of 12-15x binos. 10x has been occasionally useful on waterfowl surveys, but typically if I can't identify a bird with an 8x, the 10x isn't going to give me enough detail to do so either and I have to grab the scope, anyways.

Justin

Last edited:
I'd strongly recommend just getting the 8x42 SLC-HD. I'm sure you could probably do a straight up swap on certain forums, as 10x is valued more than 8x in some communities (namely: hunters). The 8.5x Swarovision is a great pair of optics, but I don't think the 8x42 SLC HD loses much to them (the SLC HD is bright, sharp, and fairly color neutral). Also to consider, the ergonomics and focus speed are quite different with the SV and may not suit you as well as the SLC-HD you've been accustomed with. I've owned the 8x42 SLC HD, 10x42 EL (non-SV), and 8x32 SV AND spent tons of field time with a borrowed 8.5x42 SV, so I am familiar with all models mentioned. The biggest advantage of the Swarovision over the SLC-HD is the near distortion free image edge to edge, but I personally found the SV to have slightly more chromatic aberration and to be more prone to glare than the SLC-HD; the SV may be slightly more color neutral, but that's nitpicking to the extreme as I'd consider both quite neutral, moreso than any other alpha I've owned or used.

I'm of the opinion that you don't necessarily need an 8x and a 10x - a 10x really doesn't provide that much more as you have to factor in hand shake and a dimmer image. I'd rather have an 8x and a small scope (ED 50 or similar) or a pair of 12-15x binos. 10x has been occasionally useful on waterfowl surveys, but typically if I can't identify a bird with an 8x, the 10x isn't going to give me enough detail to do so either and I have to grab the scope, anyways.

Justin
Thank you! I agree that me personally wouldn't probably know the difference between SLC vs the Swarovison. Or spending that much more money to upgrade when I probably wouldn't see the difference. Getting the 8x SLC probably is the best route. I was just trying to get as much info and opinions by all you guys that know a lot about binos and have used a lot of different models, brands. What's good, what to look for. I have learned a lot here and appreciate everything everyone has taught me.

Thank you! I agree that me personally wouldn't probably know the difference between SLC vs the Swarovison. Or spending that much more money to upgrade when I probably wouldn't see the difference. Getting the 8x SLC probably is the best route. I was just trying to get as much info and opinions by all you guys that know a lot about binos and have used a lot of different models, brands. What's good, what to look for. I have learned a lot here and appreciate everything everyone has taught me.

Yep, I didn't mean to imply that asking isn't valuable - I always recommend learning as much as possible before making any sort of decision; that said, I think people can fall into "analysis paralysis" with binoculars (and other hobby-related purchases) as there are so many options, many of which will perform as well or at least nearly as well as the others. Since you've already found the SLC-HD fits your ergonomic needs and you are pleased with their optical performance, I'd just swap formats. You could sit for hours trying to parse out minute details between models and still never really come up with a decision.

I also may be somewhat biased as I, personally, regret selling my 8x42 SLC-HD which I contend are still among the finest binoculars available. There are about 3 sells I regret, and the SLC-HD is probably tops among them.

I bought them last year. Doug at camerland told me to give him a call. That is where I bought them. It is the FOV for the reason to look for something else. With what I use them for just need something with a better FOV.

Hello,
If you use binoculars in nature and matter the real colors and FOV, a very good opinion made me Nikon 8x30 EII, with an FOV of 154 meters / 8.8 degrees and a good white level rendering. It is not watherproof but it reproduces real-life images at a very good price;).

Sold my Slc 10x42. Did get a chance to make it to Cabela's to look thru the 8.5x42, Nikon HG 8X42, and SLC 8x42. Wasn't able to take them outside with one guy behind the counter and he was pretty busy. I was pressed for time. Really liked the HG . Wasn't even really considering it. Still like that 8x42 SLC. My eyes in the store couldn't see much difference with the 8.5 but I don't know all the binos likeost on what to look for. So I'm torn between the HG or 8x slc

My thoughts: both are great options, the Monarch is lighter with a wider field of view and less distortion. The SLC is a bit brighter, with less CA, and an overall sharper image I think (likely due to suppression of CA). Both produce fairly color neutral images and control glare/flare better than average. I like the SLC better optically, but the Monarch HG presents a fantastic 'total package' for birding at a very reasonable price. Swarovski is probably best in the business when it comes to warranty work, whereas Nikon seems more hit or miss.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back