• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE, EII, and LXL (demos) at CameralandNY (1 Viewer)

APSmith

There are some deals on these demos NOW - better get 'em before they're gone - might be last chance on EIIs?

Tero: Here's your chance to get one of the best 10x for a great price.

APS

Me thinks Tero has already made up his mind. [;)]

I cannot afford anything right now without selling something else. Does Doug have some new deals he just put up today? I know he had some good prices on some of the aforementioned models.

Not to sound totally out of place but, Holy Smack...$500 for a pair of 10x42 SEs!

Argghh, why now...why now. :(

Last edited:
Yes, the mind is made up. No announcements. In fact, since I am not telling what I got, I can claim to be an expert on all of them. ;)

Tero: I have to guess it's the Meostar ...

I don't know ... the EII and the SE at $300 and $500 - read the reviews! ... LXL for $800 ... throw in no-fault ... (sorry Frank)

Those who pass this up might be posting on the "regrets" thread someday ...

Tero,

If you haven't yet decided, and if you still can, get the 8x30 E II. It will make you happier than you think a binocular ever could.

Kimmo

I have just visited Cameraland, where I had a nice talk with Doug. He informed me that there is still a lot of demand for the Nikon EII binoculars. I also examined a Zeiss demo, which did not have Lotutec, but was still a good buy.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

kabsetz said:
Tero,

If you haven't yet decided, and if you still can, get the 8x30 E II. It will make you happier than you think a binocular ever could.

Kimmo

Tero,
Get the 10 x 35 EII also. Then you will have the best of all possible worlds and enter nirvana. An 8x and a 10x: Both virtually perfect.

But on 2nd thought, forget it! Your advise on cheap, inexpensive binoculars is far too important to us advice seekers on this forum. No! Keep on using them and commenting on them.

Cordially
Bob

Well, thanks I guess. I like some small cute binoculars. The Eagle Optics 8x32 was not cheap, over 250, but it filled my urges for 8x30 pretty much. It is pretty much the equivalent of the Monarchs. I have yet to test it with warblers.

The Nikon 10x25 Trailblazer has not made me that happy. The birds are bigger, but no sharper than a 8x25. On a bright sunny day it is a fairly decent pocket binocular, and improvement on the 10x25 Sportstar. One of the three I returned in 2006. The Trailblazer will get some use, as much as my 8x25 pocket bins.

LESSON FROM 2006: Always buy where you can return it. Ask for exchange policy before you pay. Avoid buying on out of town trips if you can.

Last edited:
Great. Between APS (what is your first name anyway? :) ) and Kimmo I am this close (insert a "pinch" sized representation) from going for an 8x30 E II. As per APS it is probably my biggest regret of ever selling. I just wish my previous pair stayed in collimation longer. :(

Arthur,

I would like to hear further comments from you about your recent experience at CameralandNY. What other models did you handle? What is the place/Doug like in person? I may have to make a trip over there some day. It really isn't that far from here come to think of it.

Tero,

I concur with Bob. I enjoy reading your experiences with the less expensive side of things. I hope the big purchase doesn't sour you on them.[;)]

Frank,
I think the 8x30s are gone. Incidentally, I have dropped mine a few times (once quite forcefully) - I fear they may be just slightly out. They still view great, but I may send them in for a checkup soon. [first name is Adam - there is already one here, prefer initials AP - also taken, > APS, Rufus (for the bobcat) is field nickname - I'll try it.]

Tero,
You mentioned warblers. If it wasn't for warblers, I wouldn't think so highly of the EII.

Arthur,
I'd like to hear more about CL-NY as well.

Anyone,
I wonder what usually gets out of collimation (might depend on model?) - seems like the eyepieces on porros are vulnerable. Is there an easy way to test.

Rufus

FrankD said:
Arthur,

I would like to hear further comments from you about your recent experience at CameralandNY. What other models did you handle? What is the place/Doug like in person? I may have to make a trip over there some day. It really isn't that far from here come to think of it.
Frank,

Cameraland is a sizable photography shop with a large selection of binoculars. It must do a great deal of volume because it is favored with the refurbished Nikons and demo Zeiss and Nikons. Doug is a very enthusiastic person, which probably helps the business, who has a slightly piratical appearance. Scotty is friendly and helpful.

I like to buy in a shop, where you can see and feel the goods. I looked only at the Zeiss 8x32 FL, but last year I examined Nikons, Leicas and Zeiss. My 10x32 was so impressive that I considered replacing my Leica 8x32 BN and the word demo has an especial appeal to me. The FL glass seems to make a big difference in color and in resolution which are far more important than the dielectric mirrors increased brightness. The Demo had seen virtually no use and it came home with me.

Doug also told me to expect new models from another major firm, before the end of the year. There is going to be another round of improvements from a Zeiss competitor but given the Europeans' ability to cross license their innovations, one company does one thing first, then another joins in, after the excitement diminishes and so on. As Henry Link pointed out copywritten names for improvements probably hide the fact that it was an an innovation of another firm.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Last edited:
Arthur,
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Congratulations on your new Zeiss! I really liked the view and ergos of the last one I examined.

Could you briefly note your impressions in comparision to your Leica?

Thanks much.

Last edited:
APSmith said:
Arthur,
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Congratulations on your new Zeiss! I really liked the view and ergos of the last one I examined.

Could you briefly note your impressions in comparision to your Leica?

Thanks much.
AP,

As I noted above, no Lotutec. Should I get out with both glasses, I'll try to keep folks informed, but Kimmo wrote about them in Alula, far better than I could do a comparison.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Arthur,

I've read a good bit of commentary. Just wondering if there was a clincher issue firsthand.

Did CL-NY have just that one demo in that particular config?

Thanks, AP

APSmith said:
Arthur,

I've read a good bit of commentary. Just wondering if there was a clincher issue firsthand.

Did CL-NY have just that one demo in that particular config?

Thanks, AP

AP,

No, they had several.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Arthur,

I, too, would like to thank you for taking the time to respond. Now I am definitely going to have to make a trip out there....maybe this summer.

FrankD said:
Arthur,

I, too, would like to thank you for taking the time to respond. Now I am definitely going to have to make a trip out there....maybe this summer.
Frank,

I am sure their stock changes, especially with refurbished and demos. Therefore you should check their web site and call ahead.As a PA resident, you may want to have anything shipped to you, as New York's sales tax is 8.375%.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Arthur, i read your post about Cameraland hoping that somenone would buy those Nikons and spare me the temptation. But then, i woke up this morning with your words on my mind

Pinewood said:
Doug also told me to expect new models from another major firm, before the end of the year.

Hm. If they put HD lenses on the 8.5 EL i may even be willing to carry one in the field.

No more 8x30 EIIs

APSmith said:
There are some deals on these demos NOW - better get 'em before they're gone - might be last chance on EIIs?

Tero: Here's your chance to get one of the best 10x for a great price.

APS

Just talked with them -- EIIs 8x30 sold out. Did not ask about the 10x. If anyone wants some 10x refurb for about $285 let me know and I'll route you to a eBay seller.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back