• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (46 Viewers)

Yesterday at the Flashes

Rabbit still untouched.
LRP flying and hiding well. Pics 1and 2
One snipe showing well in hook of large island to left of hide before disappearing onto island and hiding. Pics 3,4,5.
The other snipe was in hiding along side the old waterside shelduck nest box on the sewage meadow side..
2 juvenile shelduck present also and one curlew.
Phil E

Attachments

• P4210675a.jpg
    P4210675a.jpg
    917.3 KB · Views: 93
  • P4210679a.jpg
    P4210679a.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 92
  • P4210744a.jpg
    P4210744a.jpg
    846.8 KB · Views: 90
  • P4210751a.jpg
    P4210751a.jpg
    868.8 KB · Views: 73
  • P4210765a.jpg
    P4210765a.jpg
    892.7 KB · Views: 74
Yesterday

1. Flashes - juvenile sedge warbler

2. Moors from East hide - fastidious heron (all right-angles!)
3. Ditto - female kingfisher measuring up!

4. Moors from West hide - juvenile blackcap

Attachments

• IMG_6031a.jpg
    IMG_6031a.jpg
    786.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6048a.jpg
    IMG_6048a.jpg
    867 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6070a.jpg
    IMG_6070a.jpg
    966.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6279a.jpg
    IMG_6279a.jpg
    904.8 KB · Views: 97
Dave J reports from the Flashes this morning:

Mediterranean Gull (ringed), 4 adult Avocet + 7 juveniles, 6 Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper

Also juvenile Hobby over the Sailing Pool

Dave J further reports from the Moors Pool:

Barnacle Goose, Hobby, Willow Warbler, 17+ broods of Tufted Duck, 21 adult Little Grebe + 8 juvs (3 fledged birds from other sites + our 5 chicks)

Last edited:
A quick Biking Birder update - Gary is currently on Speyside aiming to work his way up to the very north of the Scottish mainland and cross over to Orkney on the 23rd. His list has advanced to 250 with Crested Tit, Snow Bunting and Ptarmigan in the last 48 hours. Capercaille would see him equal his own record.

Has anyone else been to the Flashes early this afternoon?

All of this has been submitted to Worcester Birding by a single observer for between midday and 1.30pm today: 3 Greenshank, 2 Common Sandpiper, 2 Wood Sandpiper, 3 Green Sandpiper, 2 Little Ringed Plover, 7 Avocet, 1 Common Snipe, 1 Curlew, 1 Redshank and 5 Oystercatcher.

Brian

Dave's Med Gull yesterday was sporting white leg ring "3RRA" plus another small white ring and a metal ring.

This bird is from a ringing programme we have previously recorded birds, albeit it encompasses a wide area including Belgium, Holland and Denmark. I will try to get some further details.

Has anyone else been to the Flashes early this afternoon?

All of this has been submitted to Worcester Birding by a single observer for between midday and 1.30pm today: 3 Greenshank, 2 Common Sandpiper, 2 Wood Sandpiper, 3 Green Sandpiper, 2 Little Ringed Plover, 7 Avocet, 1 Common Snipe, 1 Curlew, 1 Redshank and 5 Oystercatcher.

Brian

Phil.

Why do some people have a compulsion to string? It's one thing to hopefully mis-id a bird present for something rarer but to make something up isn't there at all .....

Last edited:
Why do some people have a compulsion to string? It's one thing to hopefully mis-id a bird present for something rarer but to make something up isn't there at al .....

Good question Phil. And it's the same old names that crop up. Many will know of the long list of rarities seen by a single observer at Alvecote in N.Warks over many years. But there are many more who operate some sort of fantasy birding league and every time they go out in the field they bump in to one good bird after another.

Brian

Yes I was there at that time there was 4 Green Sandpiper, 1 Curlew, 1 Lrp and its chick, 2 Oystercatcher, 2 Snipe and 9 Avocets, no Greenshank, Woodsands or Redshanks.

Phil.

I left as Phil arrived and agree with Phil's sightings. I haven't even had a Redshank at Upton Warren for the year yet!

just nipped down to the Flashes having seen a forecast for rain. But unfortunately it never materialised although the wind did swing SE.
Just got home and Phil wood has just had a spotted flycatcher at the back of the meadow next to the sewage works.
My sightings : Teal 19. Shoveler 5 juvs. Avocet 3 Ads, 2 juvs +7 chicks. LRP ad + our juv. Green sand 6. Oystercatcher. lapwing 50. Snipe 3. swift 3. sand martin . Linnet 10. blackcap. chiffchaff 2.

Vern has just had the Otter performing well at the Moors.

Last edited:
I've been coming to UW for two weeks and today whilst sitting with "Vern" I saw a peregrine chase a BHG and then as predicted by Vern, saw an otter. Great day!

Barnacle Goose at the Moors Pool as per Vern and Terry Hinett via Twitter

Juvenile Hobby at the Flashes as per Pete and Marjo Lewis via WorcesterBirding

Last edited:
Tuesday work party

Tomorrow the crew will be continuing to pull the himalyan balsam around the Broadmeadow. We will also be having contractors in to spray the New Zealand pygmy weed in the Broadmeadow pool. So there will disturbance in front of the East hide.

Yesterday's ringed juvenile Med Gull with white leg ring 3RRA was ringed in the nest at Total, Antwerp, Belgium on the 28th June 2015. It was noted in the field at the same site on the 9th July.

just nipped down to the Flashes having seen a forecast for rain. But unfortunately it never materialised although the wind did swing SE.
Just got home and Phil wood has just had a spotted flycatcher at the back of the meadow next to the sewage works.
My sightings : Teal 19. Shoveler 5 juvs. Avocet 3 Ads, 2 juvs +7 chicks. LRP ad + our juv. Green sand 6. Oystercatcher. lapwing 50. Snipe 3. swift 3. sand martin . Linnet 10. blackcap. chiffchaff 2.

Vern has just had the Otter performing well at the Moors.

New for the year (#133) - Spotted Flycatcher

Not much to add to Johns sightings at the Flashes this evening. Juv Med Gull with numbered ring I couldn't read and 2 metal rings. 6 Curlew and Raven

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back