Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

south farm, sherburne wildlife management area

Old Thursday 24th June 2004, 03:00   #1
peachfront

south farm, sherburne wildlife management area

I am thinking ahead a few weeks and thought I would write a short post about this area where Wood Storks gather by the hundreds, as many as one thousand or more, in July and perhaps early August.

South Farm is about 1.5 miles north of the I-10 Ramah exit in the Atchafalaya Basin. There are some fields in front where the water can be drawn down to attract wading birds. Further back there are cypress trees. I visited this site on Aug. 1, 2002 and was blown away by the sight of hundreds of Wood Storks on the trees like Christmas ornaments. It would be a photographer's dream. I couldn't go back last year because an oak tree fell on my house and I had to be around to egg on the contractor and get the repairs made, but I plan to bring a camera this year!

You need a Wild Louisiana license to visit this site. You can get a day pass for 1.25, or you can get a license good for a whole year for $5.50 at Walmart in their hunting and fishing department. I might not be remembering these prices exactly right because the license runs from June 30 to June 30, so that's almost a year since I bought it, but I'm in the ball park. Well worth the price. You should also bring plenty of DEET because the mosquitoes can appear in truly impressive numbers.

I believe there may be hunting on this site at some times of the year but it's safe to bird in July/August. I'll post a link to a full report and pix after I visit this year but thought I'd go ahead and mention the Wood Stork gathering in advance in case anyone will be in the area during that time.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: