• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Serious question about the Nikon EDG (1 Viewer)

Bruce Post 56

Many thanks for the research and careful summing up.

I wonder if the optics companies are able to take out insurance to cover warranty costs. Not sure how that could work but if they were able to give say 5 years stats on the costs of warranty claims to an insurance company they might be able to get cover for the eventuality of the annual costs exceeding a certain figure. Insurance is a question of evaluating the risk of an event so I would think it could be done. Question number 2 is, would it be worth the optics company paying the premiums. To a certain extent they can influence this by the quality of the build, within the limits of the price they can sell the binos at, but you can't influence the events that lead to claims under 'no fault' terms.

Lee

Bruce Post 56

Many thanks for the research and careful summing up.

I wonder if the optics companies are able to take out insurance to cover warranty costs. Not sure how that could work but if they were able to give say 5 years stats on the costs of warranty claims to an insurance company they might be able to get cover for the eventuality of the annual costs exceeding a certain figure. Insurance is a question of evaluating the risk of an event so I would think it could be done. Question number 2 is, would it be worth the optics company paying the premiums. To a certain extent they can influence this by the quality of the build, within the limits of the price they can sell the binos at, but you can't influence the events that lead to claims under 'no fault' terms.

Lee
I doubt any insurance company would be interested. When a binocular is built I'm sure a certain number of extra parts are manufactured and stored in inventory based on historical repair stats. Obviously, the cost of inventory is passed along in the price of the bin or charged at time of repair. There's no free lunch.

I bought my 7X42 Ultravid in 2004 for $1150 USD with the lifetime Passport warranty (no longer available). Leica recently refurbished it with (upgraded optics, new diopter/focus wheel, hinge, new eye cups and armor). Labor time: 1.25 hours. I paid shipping/insurance both ways.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back