Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Conundrum in selecting binoculars

Old Monday 30th April 2018, 22:32   #1
Rye_a

Conundrum in selecting binoculars

I'm relatively new to the world of birding, but have been an avid hunter for years and am not new to binoculars. I have been using some Vortex Viper HDs for the last six years or so for my hunting excursions and have been relatively happy with them, but between wanting optics with better glass and low light performance, and an upcoming trip to Belize with a significant bird watching component I am seriously considering an upgrade.

I have been pricing out my best options to buy a pair of Swarovski SLC 10x42s for awhile, but just came across a pair of like-new demo Noctivid 8x42 with a full warranty for under $2,000. If I have the money is it worth the stretch to go with the Noctivids? Considering that I also hunt (which can result in hard use) will I be satisfied with the Leica warranty compared with that of Swarovski? Any help is appreciated.
Old Monday 30th April 2018, 23:14   #2
jring

Hi,

if you are going to be doing jungle excursions I would recommend a pair of 8x42 - preferably with a wide fov. And when traveling in less safe countries, certainly nothing from the teutonic trinity as these nice logos are well known and tend to attract unwelcome attention.

Nikon is better as they build bins from $80 to $2500 (or $6000 if you count the WX but they will be noticed anyways...).

I would probably get a pair of Nikon MHD 8x42 - nice fov, good optics and a price which will not kill you if it is nicked by sb. knowing that it's a good pair...

PS: Welcome to Birdforum!

Joachim

Last edited by jring : Tuesday 1st May 2018 at 07:54. Reason: added postscriptum
Old Monday 30th April 2018, 23:38   #3
dries1

Everything that Joachim said with the exception of the glass choice, a Monarch7 8X42 a few hundred + less than a 8X42 MHG.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 1st May 2018, 00:54   #4
edwincjones

I am not sure I agree with the above.

Considering the cost and effort at a trip of this magnitude,
and that this may well be a once in a lifetime trip,
I would want the best optics possible.
Possibility of lost, stolen, damaged optics would be part the price of the trip.

I would also consider what would be better for your future use.

edj
-L Armstrong, IZ, and others
Old Tuesday 1st May 2018, 01:27   #5
Robert Moore

I have not looked through the 8x Noctivid but I have the 10x42 and if you wear glasses I think they are the best. For me anyway. I love my 10x42. I think you would love the Noctivid.
Old Tuesday 1st May 2018, 01:32   #6
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rye_a View Post
I'm relatively new to the world of birding, but have been an avid hunter for years and am not new to binoculars. I have been using some Vortex Viper HDs for the last six years or so for my hunting excursions and have been relatively happy with them, but between wanting optics with better glass and low light performance, and an upcoming trip to Belize with a significant bird watching component I am seriously considering an upgrade.

I have been pricing out my best options to buy a pair of Swarovski SLC 10x42s for awhile, but just came across a pair of like-new demo Noctivid 8x42 with a full warranty for under $2,000. If I have the money is it worth the stretch to go with the Noctivids? Considering that I also hunt (which can result in hard use) will I be satisfied with the Leica warranty compared with that of Swarovski? Any help is appreciated.
I don't know about the 10X42s for birding in Belize. It's probably going to be thick foliage and you are probably not going to be able to see that far. For your uses I'd probably go with a Swarovski SV 8X32 OR SLC 8X42. I'd probably take one of those or maybe a Leica Ultravid HD+ 7X42. I have 100% confidence in those three.

I will say I have both a 8X42 and a 10X42 Leica Noctivid. They ARE a new platform. I haven't had any issue whatsoever with them. BUT I WILL say that I haven't used them enough to have that confidence in them for such a trip. Around here? SURE. Birding trip to Belize? No.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 1st May 2018, 19:56   #7
lgguy

I agree with Chuck. I'm in Costa Rica and the forest has been very dense, it's hard to see more than 50 feet from the trail. Wide angle 8x42s worked well. That said, our guide used Vortex 10x42s. Around the hotel there are still plenty of birds to see, a 10x would work fine there since it's more open.
Old Friday 4th May 2018, 23:38   #8
Rye_a

Well, I did it; I bought the Noctivids. I just dont know when/if Ill have another opportunity to buy top of the line glass that is as new with a full warranty for 30% below MSRP. Between the magnification and a 1 to 2 day stint that I will be in Guatemala, I dont know that I will bring them to Belize, but I know I will enjoy having them for many years.
Old Saturday 5th May 2018, 01:59   #9
black crow

I'd really like to hear what you think of them once you've checked them out.
Old Saturday 5th May 2018, 08:14   #10
jring

Hi,

congratulations on a new toy... 8x42 would be perfect for jungle but I would probably take another 8x42 for safety (I have too many bins ;-)

Joachim
Old Saturday 5th May 2018, 11:10   #11
edwincjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
Hi,

congratulations on a new toy... 8x42 would be perfect for jungle but I would probably take another 8x42 for safety (I have too many bins ;-)

Joachim
I agree with the backup, but would probably take a different size
-8x32 or 8x25?

edj
-L Armstrong, IZ, and others
Old Saturday 5th May 2018, 13:55   #12
jring

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwincjones View Post
I agree with the backup, but would probably take a different size
-8x32 or 8x25?

edj
Well, I meant not the Noctivids... but we had that already...
Yes, often have an 8x32 along an 8x42 on travel, nothing really expensive though.

Joachim
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: