• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (2 Viewers)

16. Starling several
17. Green finch 1
18. Common Buzzard seen most days

Long tailed tits increased to 5 , one of my favourite small birds .

Having beautiful sunny warm days this week between 18 and 21 c, nights cold some
mornings frost but days are terrific , lunch in garden .

Last edited:
16. Starling several
17. Green finch 1
18. Common Buzzard seen most days

Long tailed tits increased to 5 , one of my favourite small birds .

Having beautiful sunny warm days this week between 18 and 21 c, nights cold some
mornings frost but days are terrific , lunch in garden .

I’ve been imaging LTTits in the grdn.this am will send a couple through, no Greenfinches for me Brenda...I live in hope.

Attachments

• P1860615.jpeg   LTTit in feeder 4..jpg
    P1860615.jpeg LTTit in feeder 4..jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It has been really warm up here, at the daytime even +5 Celsius degrees. And the "snow mountains" had shrink fast. Weekend has been also sunny, so I took a chance today and sit on stairs sunbathing.
Also I tried a "new trick" and stole one Powans head from my wife's cooking and throw it on the roof of the yard house. I'm not sure was it my "trick" or just luck, but two Common Gulls (and one unidentified gull) fly over #15 (but they didn't landed, so the fish head ended up in the Magpies menu.).
Also I got:
#16. Yellowhammer - after many years waiting two in garden.
#17. Raven - first I heard them and then saw. About one hour later, one Raven join in Crows gang, who harassed a young Sprawk.

Attachments

• bP1100867.jpg
    bP1100867.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 16
  • bP1100920.jpg
    bP1100920.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 11
  • bP1100901.jpg
    bP1100901.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
It has been really warm up here, at the daytime even +5 Celsius degrees. And the "snow mountains" had shrink fast. Weekend has been also sunny, so I took a chance today and sit on stairs sunbathing.
Also I tried a "new trick" and stole one Powans head from my wife's cooking and throw it on the roof of the yard house. I'm not sure was it my "trick" or just luck, but two Common Gulls (and one unidentified gull) fly over #15 (but they didn't landed, so the fish head ended up in the Magpies menu.).
Also I got:
#16. Yellowhammer - after many years waiting two in garden.
#17. Raven - first I heard them and then saw. About one hour later, one Raven join in Crows gang, who harassed a young Sprawk.

I'd be sorely tempted to call that a Goshawk!

My addition of

36. Red-shouldered Hawk (f)

was a nice bird to have early in the year. They used to be seen only on migration from the yard, but winter sightings are increasing.

I saw an eagle yesterday, but it was extremely distant and stayed that way. I thought it looked a bit off for Bald, but I will never know...

Last edited:
I'd be sorely tempted to call that a Goshawk!

I agree with birdmeister that looks very much like an immature Goshawk, immature Sprawk would have horizontal barring, your bird is vertically streaked, and what I thought was the leg...is actually the hind claw!

Suspect more regular over your yard than mine wari, however I’ll keep my eyes peeled. :t:

Thank you very much Birdmeister and Ken! That was totally new species for my garden. So #18. Goshawk. B :)

It was looking so small when I compared it for Hoodies (about same size) and Raven and also the head looks big comparing to body. So maybe we can say this is male? Females would be much bigger.

I believe there can be a 10-15% size difference between the sexes wari, however...I have seen “big” females on occasion. I believe the Scandinavian birds are the biggest in Europe?

Cheers

So far this year I'm still waiting for that tell-tale Crow alarm call that signals a Goshawk in the vicinity, they(the Crows) are doing their croaking alarm now when Buzzards pass over, but the "Watch out there's a Gos about" call is altogether louder and more anxious (especially if it's a female:eek!:, as Wari says his bird will be a male if it was the same size as the Hoodies).

Yes, I agree with the others - juv Goshawk there, Wari - nice - even has a hint of gular stripes - and streaking right down to the tail coverts.

Thank you very much Birdmeister and Ken! That was totally new species for my garden. So #18. Goshawk. B :)

Congratulations Wari - and another one we have in common (I got mine back in November, and you may have heard the whooping from there!). Wish I'd managed such a good photo!

Puts you a couple ahead as well, I have 16. Brown Creeper to add, which has likely been here all along, but much easier to find when its warm enough to be outside for longer periods and get a chance to hear one.

Finally nailed the little egret that frequents the local park stream when it flew over the garden the other day. Been waiting for it for over a year since I first saw it on the park.

Congratulations Wari - and another one we have in common (I got mine back in November, and you may have heard the whooping from there!). Wish I'd managed such a good photo!

Puts you a couple ahead as well, I have 16. Brown Creeper to add, which has likely been here all along, but much easier to find when its warm enough to be outside for longer periods and get a chance to hear one.

Thanks Amy. I'm sure you leave me coughing dust well behind you, when the Spring starts - Just like you do last year. 3:)

A few additions over the last week.
56 wigeon
57 shoveler
58 little owl
59 oystercatcher.
Still not had grey wagtail, bullfinch, redpoll or yellowhammer. Normally bankers.

I'm sure you leave me coughing dust well behind you, when the Spring starts

Maybe not so far way in Finalnd this year - has my earliest ever Cranes prancing around on my land on Thursday, most welcome.

Also Black Woodpeckers (they are usually around all winter, but they sneaked off to a neighbouring patch of woodland this winter) and a Great Grey Shrike, so three additions for the year.

23. Common Crane
24. Black Woodpecker
25. Great Grey Shrike

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back