• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slovakia (1 Viewer)

Laurence H

Wishful thinking perhaps, but does anyone know any Wallcreeper sites in Slovakia. I'll be there for two weeks at the end of April, in the north-west of the country but able to travel.

Hi Laurence,

Please see following taken from "Where to Watch Birds in Eastern Europe" (1994)

"The Mala Fatra Mountains form an impressive range of high peaks withdeep river valleys, cliffs, gorges..."
"...[there are] typical Alpine species such as Three-toed Woodpecker, Ring Ouzel, Rock Pipit, Alpine Accentor, Wallcreeper and Nutcracker."

The range is situated between 49.07 and 49.15 deg N and 18.53 and 19.13 deg E.

The Nizke Tatry moutains are also given as a Wallcreeper location, but these are further east, towards the centre of the country.

I found them just outside a village called Choc in the Tatra Mountains - not far from Rozambarek. I don't have my map to hand but when I find it I'll be able to give you more details.

Darrell

Cheers Darrell. Did you do much birding there? I was there last July, and was able to do some. Hope to do more this time, and felt that April would be a much better idea!
Highlights last year were nutcrackers, sheer numbers of red-backed shrikes and a very close encounter with a booted eagle!

Hi Laurence, I spent about a week in the area at the end of April. I don't remember many Red-backed Shrikes but there were certainly good numbers of Nutcrackers. Our target species were really the woodpeckers, especially Three-toed, as well as Pygmy and Tengmalm's Owl.
We did very well except for Pygmy Owl. We heard them but couldn't see one!!

If you want to read about the Wallcreeper I saw try this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=2326&highlight=Wallcreeper

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back