Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

I have a California Quail in my garden South Lincolnshire

Old Monday 30th June 2014, 20:20   #1
fenmarshman

I have a California Quail in my garden South Lincolnshire

Hi, I'm newcomer here and I just thought I would post my first unusual bird sighting in my garden. For the past 5 days I've seen and heard what I now know to be a California Quail, male i think!

How do I post pictures of it walking around my home duck pond?,thanks.
Old Monday 30th June 2014, 21:26   #2
fenmarshman

Here's a couple of pictures taken this evening from my back garden duck pond. I think that it must be an escapee from someone's aviary. anybody know of anyone in the Long Sutton/Sutton Bridge area of south Lincolnshire missing one of these birds?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sat on duck pond fence post.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	503621

Name:	Walking around my duck pond.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	503622

Last edited by fenmarshman : Monday 30th June 2014 at 21:42.
Old Monday 30th June 2014, 22:15   #3
rollingthunder

Nice shots mate - where's the albino Dodo in the foreground come from?

Laurie
Old Monday 30th June 2014, 22:22   #4
fenmarshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
Nice shots mate - where's the albino Dodo in the foreground come from?

Laurie
It's commonly known in the bird world as an Aylesbury duck, she started off as one of a number of egg's purchased locally and then incubated and hatched at home several years ago by my wife using an incubator off ebay!.
Old Monday 30th June 2014, 22:34   #5
fenmarshman

A few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cheeky little face!.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	503636  Click image for larger version

Name:	Flapping his wings!.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	503637  
Old Tuesday 1st July 2014, 00:27   #6
walshey
not on a register

Definitely an escapee. Despite being limited naturally to the west of North America, it seems to do well in other places as long as we take it there. I think there are populations that are now self sustaining in New Zealand, South America and Corsica as well. Maybe England next??
Old Tuesday 1st July 2014, 00:28   #7
AlfArbuthnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshey View Post
Definitely an escapee. Despite being limited naturally to the west of North America, it seems to do well in other places as long as we take it there. I think there are populations that are now self sustaining in New Zealand, South America and Corsica as well. Maybe England next??
Been tried several times, I think, and all failed.
Old Tuesday 1st July 2014, 00:56   #8
walshey
not on a register

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfArbuthnot View Post
Been tried several times, I think, and all failed.
Probably for the best then
Old Tuesday 1st July 2014, 10:46   #9
fenmarshman

I will observe this bird as it seems to be very happy at the moment scooting between my garden duck pond and the local trees and farmland. I have 3 acres of wooded areas and garden and each day you can hear it's very distinct call in the area. This morning it's been going non-stop.

Does anybody know if I should leave any food out for it as it seems to put in an appearance around early evening each day at my duck pond. For the first time yesterday I was able to get up close and take a few pics, hence me being on this forum, and if so, what type of food?
Old Tuesday 1st July 2014, 16:59   #10
corvidear

They like chicken scratch . I am up to my eyebrows in them right now . they nest all over my place and are also escapees from a nearby quail incarceration facility more commonly known as a game farm . The males make a lot of racket when calling for females challenging other males and sounding the alarm on potential threats.

They are fun to watch and they certainly do have a lot of personality. Congrats and quail out !

Sincerely

Corvidear
Old Tuesday 1st July 2014, 18:33   #11
fenmarshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidear View Post
They like chicken scratch . I am up to my eyebrows in them right now . they nest all over my place and are also escapees from a nearby quail incarceration facility more commonly known as a game farm . The males make a lot of racket when calling for females challenging other males and sounding the alarm on potential threats.

They are fun to watch and they certainly do have a lot of personality. Congrats and quail out !

Sincerely

Corvidear
Thanks for the tip. Yes, I must admit it is quite a character to watch. it seems to be a very inquisitive bird and not shy of other birds around it.
Old Tuesday 1st July 2014, 18:49   #12
corvidear

Generally speaking , your bird escaped from a facility so it is use to a coupe . The quail I have here go into my chicken coupes at night and enjoy the safety it offers and the heat from the lamps I run in the winter. If you have a coupe not being used it will attempt to enter it sooner or later .

My quail are accustom to me closing the door to the coups at night and opening it to let them out the following morning during the winter months . During nesting and rearing season they do not utilize the coupes unless they are seriously injured and not on nests or with chicks.

Got one male called gimpy that was shot during hunting season years ago living here. He ends up baby sitting every one else,s chicks during breeding season each year because he is such a good guardian .
California quail really are very amazing in their behaviors and abilities.

Sincerely
Corvidear
Old Tuesday 1st July 2014, 21:57   #13
fenmarshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidear View Post
Generally speaking , your bird escaped from a facility so it is use to a coupe . The quail I have here go into my chicken coupes at night and enjoy the safety it offers and the heat from the lamps I run in the winter. If you have a coupe not being used it will attempt to enter it sooner or later .

My quail are accustom to me closing the door to the coups at night and opening it to let them out the following morning during the winter months . During nesting and rearing season they do not utilize the coupes unless they are seriously injured and not on nests or with chicks.

Got one male called gimpy that was shot during hunting season years ago living here. He ends up baby sitting every one else,s chicks during breeding season each year because he is such a good guardian .
California quail really are very amazing in their behaviors and abilities.

Sincerely
Corvidear
That is really fascinating insight into your quails. I have a cat pen outside on my back lawn near the duck pond, and this California Quail has also been sitting on top of it on a few occasions. My wife thought he might have thought is was his own aviary pen back home, from wherever he came from. I will leave the door open and see if he will go inside, obviously I will make sure the cat is not about!
Old Tuesday 1st July 2014, 22:13   #14
FoghornKinghorn
Durham Recorder

Still a batter candidate than Chinese Pond Heron.

I'll get my coat..
Old Wednesday 2nd July 2014, 23:49   #15
Julian Thomas

Hmm...battered quail or battered pond heron...all the same with chips I suppose.
Old Thursday 3rd July 2014, 01:24   #16
corvidear

My guess is in the choice of battered fried heron you would find the flavor of waste pond carp served raw more appealing to the taste buds and certainly more tender. waders tend to cook up somewhat like old leather from all I have been told by those that tried it back during the depression in the U.S .

Corvidear
Old Thursday 3rd July 2014, 09:31   #17
John Watson

Quail meat again, don't know where, don't know when ...

(with apologies to fenmarshman & anyone who likes music)
Old Thursday 3rd July 2014, 09:46   #18
Johann Sebastian Bach

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Watson View Post
Quail meat again, don't know where, don't know when ...

(with apologies to fenmarshman & anyone who likes music)
Apology accepted.

Reminds me of:

"Whale kipper whale-com in the eelsides"

Exit, rapidly, accompanied by men in white coats.

Peter
Old Thursday 3rd July 2014, 19:03   #19
fenmarshman

Or from Coldplay that well known tropical bird gambling song....'parrot dice' ...(paradise). you will never sing the song again normally!
Old Saturday 5th July 2014, 11:47   #20
Lightthiscandle
David Bryant

Years ago (early 80's) Bobwhite Quail were not infrequently seen around Cley....
Old Wednesday 9th July 2014, 00:33   #21
Julian Thomas

Or indeed in the Brecks - saw a covey from the train near Lakenheath around then. Saw one walking up someone's drive in Midleton, not that far from Minsmere, back in the 80s too.
Old Wednesday 9th July 2014, 20:14   #22
twentywell

We saw one in New Zealand, 17 and a half years ago in the North Island. No, I am not revealing the actual location as I do not want a mass stampede of the twitching fraternity down under; NZ is much too nice a country for it to be trampled underfoot by the hordes!

MS
Old Friday 11th July 2014, 14:44   #23
HH75

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentywell View Post
We saw one in New Zealand, 17 and a half years ago in the North Island. No, I am not revealing the actual location as I do not want a mass stampede of the twitching fraternity down under; NZ is much too nice a country for it to be trampled underfoot by the hordes!

MS
California Quail or Bobwhite? Either way, seeing as how neither are indigenous to New Zealand originally, I doubt very much that European birders will stampede all the way there to tick the species when they can both be found breeding ferally in Europe, and even their native range is so much closer than New Zealand. And if any local birders count Category C species on their national lists, presumably they've already done so, or know sites for them if not.
Old Friday 11th July 2014, 17:22   #24
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentywell View Post

MS

Too late. As recently documented by JRR Oddie in the little known fourth part of his famous trilogy; 'The Quest for the Unholy Quail'

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lo...2F%3B400%3B267

(Twitchers have been given a bit of a bit of a bad press at times - note the friendly visages, practical camo wear and superlative fieldcraft and you realise it's all been way over-exaggerated ... )

Last edited by dantheman : Friday 11th July 2014 at 18:09.
Old Friday 11th July 2014, 18:55   #25
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Too late. As recently documented by JRR Oddie in the little known fourth part of his famous trilogy; 'The Quest for the Unholy Quail'
And of course now put to film - 'Californication; the Quest,arr for the Unholy Quail'.

A film of prodigious scope, starring, a little unexpectedly, Harrison Ford, some pirates (with a prodigious scope), local patch workers and of course Lee in a starring role as the chief elf, and safety officer. And a demented chicken.

(And not to forget a few thousand marauding auks besides ...)

Last edited by dantheman : Friday 11th July 2014 at 19:05.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: