• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Panasonic G80 or 85 ? (1 Viewer)

So I have received the 100-400 lens yesterday and the G85 today. First attempts look good for both (I used the lens with a GH2 before receiving the camera)!

One question: I have so far made the settings shutter priority. I had expected with that setting that one thumb-wheel would control the shutter and the other the exposure compensation, but it seems both control the shutter (kind of daft). Any insight into how to change that?

Niels

One more observation of something that probably should have been expected but wasn't: I love to have the setting of AF+MF on, so that I can just directly turn the focusing ring to check focus. I discovered that does not work with AFC, only with AFS.

I should also say that I am traveling so only seeing the results on a laptop, so comparisons with the old lens will have to wait until I get home.

Niels

So I have received the 100-400 lens yesterday and the G85 today. First attempts look good for both (I used the lens with a GH2 before receiving the camera)!

One question: I have so far made the settings shutter priority. I had expected with that setting that one thumb-wheel would control the shutter and the other the exposure compensation, but it seems both control the shutter (kind of daft). Any insight into how to change that?

Niels

Look at page 41 in the manual i think it starts there,it can be done as i use mine like that.

Thanks Mike,
I will return to this issue when things quiet down a little. One observation: I am happy I went with the pana zoom rather than the oly 300 mm fixed, at least yesterday and today it has frequently been necessary to zoom out rather than using full zoom. I am in Florida if that makes a distance, but some of the Ospreys I had fly around were too close for 400 mm and fit better with around 200 mm.

Niels

I understand a prime lens should be sharper than a zoom but here from one days shooting is the reason i need a zoom.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 138
I had a freshly charged battery in the camera. It lasted for 818 pictures in a mixture of AFS and AFC but no video.

Niels

Did not count photos, but for a full day birding with the camera, I needed a spare battery about half of the days. The battery of my FZ200 fits into the G80.

Read advice on a Canon thread about leaving IS off for flight shots. Has anyone tested whether that also helps in the Pana world? Is it possible to save IS off to e.g., C2? Or is it necessary to use the on lens button (and risk forgetting when going back to C1)?

Niels

Not sure if it helps or not,i leave it on most of the time and if i want it off i use the lens switch,i can do that without taking my eye from the EVF.

I have found that it looks like turning OS off in the menu is possible: advanced manual pg 145.

The question of whether it would help is a different one, I don't know when I will be in a situation to test it.

Niels

I have found that it looks like turning OS off in the menu is possible: advanced manual pg 145.

The question of whether it would help is a different one, I don't know when I will be in a situation to test it.

Niels

This is the reply i got from Panasonic,it looks like if you turn it off in the camera but then fit the 100-400 you can only have dual or none depending on the lens setting.

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response, I would like to inform you that you are correct, if you turn off the option from the body, the switch on the lens will turn it back on.

You will need to turn off the IS from the lens switch after attaching the lens and you will not have the dual IS any more.

I trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

John

Customer Service Team
Panasonic UK

Mike, Thank you for doing the asking. I am disappointed by the answer, because if would have been easier to have a custom setting with high shutter speed and IS off instead of having to remember one extra button to change when switching from one purpose to another.

Niels

Mike, Thank you for doing the asking. I am disappointed by the answer, because if would have been easier to have a custom setting with high shutter speed and IS off instead of having to remember one extra button to change when switching from one purpose to another.

Niels

AFS and AFC, or single shot to series shot, are other functions that afaik can't be saved to custom settings but need to be switched manually. Basically all functions that have their own non-customisable physical buttons.

As for IS I think its quicker to turn it off on the lens, than to switch from C2-1 to C2-custom setting, so at least this aspect I don't find a problem. If it really matters, I do not know yet.

AFS and AFC, or single shot to series shot, are other functions that afaik can't be saved to custom settings but need to be switched manually. Basically all functions that have their own non-customisable physical buttons.

Difference: the other two reside on the camera, not lens.

As for IS I think its quicker to turn it off on the lens, than to switch from C2-1 to C2-custom setting, so at least this aspect I don't find a problem. If it really matters, I do not know yet.
I would have saved to C2-1. And I also do not know if it matters - yet.

Niels

One from the G80 @ iso 4000 and 1/4000th of a second, have done some NR on the background but not bad for a reasonably priced m4/3 body.the lens was the 45-175.

Attachments

• P1070085.jpg
    P1070085.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 317
Some early results with the G85/PL100-400. These are both from the OOC jpgs, most of which look fantastic. They are virtually untouched, except for crop/resize and finishing.

I could easily have placed them in the PL100-400 thread, but thought this more appropriate. I cannot remember the GH2/100-300 combo ever delivering results looking equally sharp when enlarging OOC jpgs.

Comments re focusing: SAF similar to what I have been used to, sometimes the background is very attractive to the AF, but easy to redo. Fast!

In flight definitely better than with the GH2, but still with lots of misses due to attraction to background. I need more days out to see if something can be done to improve keeper rate.

Niels

Attachments

• Boat-tailed Grackle P1000091.JPG
    Boat-tailed Grackle P1000091.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 263
  • Least Tern P1000587.JPG
    Least Tern P1000587.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 300
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back