Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Location advice for target species

Old Wednesday 7th December 2016, 13:37   #1
Trystan

Location advice for target species

Hi,

It is looking likely that I will be travelling to Switzerland in June this year, previous plans to do so having not come to fruition.

I am quite flexible on staying location other than that it needs to be reasonable driving time into Liechtenstein for a country tick!

That aside, my main targets would be Rock partridge, Snowfinch, Hazel grouse, Tengmalm's owl and Pygmy owl in that order.

As such, any advise on the best location to stay as a base camp and good sites for these species would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

World total (IOC) 2201 White tailed tropicbird; UK total 354 Blyth's reed warbler; Yorkshire total 302 Black guillemot
Old Monday 6th February 2017, 18:09   #2
albatross02

Rock Patridge try middle of June at Ofenpass.

http://www.alpentourer.com/alpine_passes/switzerland/

You will near Val Muestier. I think for accomodation is good price performance level for Switzerland.

Last edited by albatross02 : Monday 6th February 2017 at 18:12. Reason: add info
Old Monday 6th February 2017, 18:29   #3
albatross02

For owl, I read in the book "Voegelbeobachten in der Schweiz", Obbertoggenburg should be intersting and is near Lichtenstein, where You can store your money.

There should be a lift to Oberdorf. East of them is a area with rather few trees and moor.
This should be good for owls and Tree-toed Woodpecker.
South of this area is a path to lake Voralpsee. Over the mountain Oelberg there is moor and forest landscape. The areas east of Gamser Rugg should have both recommend owls.
This area You will find with google.
Old Monday 6th February 2017, 18:40   #4
albatross02

At this lake is an Hotel
http://www.voralp.ch/Default.aspx?tabid=84
http://www.voralp.ch/Default.aspx?tabid=54

Single Room is 55 SFR
Room with different persons is 40 SFR
Room with more people is 30 SFR
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: