Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular Repairs

Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 15:23   #1
Eazyglider

Binocular Repairs

Hi, Can anyone suggest where I could get some RSPB (WPG) 8.5 x 42 binos repaired? I've had them about 8 years now and suddenly I can't get them to focus on both sides. If I focus on one side the other is blurred. I'm near York. Thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.
Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 15:32   #2
Troubador

Try http://binocular-repair.co.uk/

Gary has huge experience and has worked for Leica and is the official UK service centre for Zeiss, but he has experience of every kind of binos.

Lee
Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 15:36   #3
Eazyglider

Thanks Lee, I'll give them a call.
Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 19:28   #4
typo

I couldn't find any warranty information on the WPGs. It might be they are still covered? Viking supply the RSPB binoculars and provide servicing and repairs. I suspect they are more likely to know if it is covered or not. 01986 875315

David
Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 19:44   #5
dipped

Ten year warranty on WPG's so if you have the receipt they may be covered. Can be handed in at any reserve and will be sent to Halesworth, Suffolk where Joe should be able to fix them.
Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 20:06   #6
typo

Is that Joe who used to work with Dougie in Glasgow? He was rather unsure about moving south and initially only agreed to a six month trial. Glad he decided to stay.

David
Old Friday 2nd March 2018, 10:08   #7
Swarovski Man

Dougie was The Man.

I used to pop in regularly for his knowledgeable and impartial advice. Sorely missed.
Old Friday 2nd March 2018, 16:48   #8
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyglider View Post
Hi, Can anyone suggest where I could get some RSPB (WPG) 8.5 x 42 binos repaired? I've had them about 8 years now and suddenly I can't get them to focus on both sides. If I focus on one side the other is blurred. I'm near York. Thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.
Being this whole thread is by Brits, I might mention Tony Kay of OptRep.

Bill

PS Sorry to break the cycle.
“Teaching high school today requires the skills one would need to pilot a bus full of chickens backward, with no brakes, down a rocky road through the Andes while providing colorful and informative commentary on the scenery.” — Franklin Habit
Old Friday 2nd March 2018, 17:56   #9
Stephen Prower

Eazyglider

Supporting Lee (Post #2).

Gary has just done a good job for me at a very reasonable price.

Stephen
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 08:02   #10
wllmspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Prower View Post
Eazyglider

Supporting Lee (Post #2).

Gary has just done a good job for me at a very reasonable price.

Stephen
Ive has an old pair of 7x35 with Gary for a few months for a simple clean and collimate. When I got them I realised they’d been dropped (mark on the objective ring), so I reseated one prism. They were usable, but not perfect so I sent them in for a clean and collimate. After a month or so they arrived back but the collimation was way off. They had been well packed but the box was a little squished, so I sent them back. I have not had any reply to my emails in the meantime, so my experiences are currently not too favourable.

PEterW
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 14:26   #11
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wllmspd View Post
Ive has an old pair of 7x35 with Gary for a few months for a simple clean and collimate. When I got them I realised they’d been dropped (mark on the objective ring), so I reseated one prism. They were usable, but not perfect so I sent them in for a clean and collimate. After a month or so they arrived back but the collimation was way off. They had been well packed but the box was a little squished, so I sent them back. I have not had any reply to my emails in the meantime, so my experiences are currently not too favourable.

PEterW
Hi, PEterW:

You are fortunate to have more qualified, out of warranty, techs in your country than I have in mine. And from what I hear and have read Gary is top drawer among them. Although I don't have the wherewithal to defend him in your situation, one of your comments threw up a red flag to me.

In part you said, "... for a simple clean and collimate."

I wish I had a dollar for every time heard or read something like that when the customer HAD NO IDEA what he or she was talking about. This is not to impugn or trivialize your comment at all, just to share many unfortunate experiences. And then there were the times when someone would enter the store on the optics shop level, drop off a binocular telling a dumbfounded staff member something like: "Whatever it takes ... I'll clear you to $25," when the repair meter ran at $120 an hour* with a one-hour minimum. Then, when the customer was found and brought into reality, would say something like: "Hell, I didn't pay that much for them, new," as if I were responsible for his cheapness, naiveté, or being clueless as to what would be involved in the repair. The owners of FMTR-SXs or Seahawks never asked about the cost. The owners of Bushnells or TASCOs always did.

You might want to contact Gary to ask some questions sprinkled with "whys." Those answers might be very informative.

Just a thought.

Bill

* PS I did freebies whenever possible.
“Teaching high school today requires the skills one would need to pilot a bus full of chickens backward, with no brakes, down a rocky road through the Andes while providing colorful and informative commentary on the scenery.” — Franklin Habit
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 14:46   #12
Binastro

Probably too much work on hand.

If one has to ask how much a Rolls Royce costs to buy or to service, then one cannot afford a Rolls Royce.
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 16:31   #13
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
Probably too much work on hand.

If one has to ask how much a Rolls Royce costs to buy or to service, then one cannot afford a Rolls Royce.
So, true! When we left Seattle, I had to sell our Silver Cloud AND Silver Shadow. Now, I have to be seen driving around town in a year-old Bentley. Oh, the humanities.

Bill

PS Is a Bentley an "ALPHA"?

Last edited by WJC : Tuesday 6th March 2018 at 16:34.
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 18:36   #14
wllmspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
So, true! When we left Seattle, I had to sell our Silver Cloud AND Silver Shadow. Now, I have to be seen driving around town in a year-old Bentley. Oh, the humanities.

Bill

PS Is a Bentley an "ALPHA"?
I have done work with optics, lazers, interferometers etc in the past, good friends with our optical workshop guys too.. Perfectly happy giving things a “spit and polish” with a lint free cloth and some IPA. I am happy to disassemble these things, but lack the collimation gubbins to do things “properly”. Nowadays I just “play” with 3D printing…..
If a fix was deemed uneconomic I’d be happy to have a go myself, show the kids how stuff works. I expect you’re right about the amount of work he’s got on, a reply would be nice.

PEterW
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 19:32   #15
WJC

Quote:
I have done work with optics, lazers, interferometers etc in the past, good friends with our optical workshop guys too.. Perfectly happy giving things a “spit and polish” with a lint free cloth and some IPA. I am happy to disassemble these things, but lack the collimation gubbins to do things “properly”. Nowadays I just “play” with 3D printing…..
If a fix was deemed uneconomic I’d be happy to have a go myself, show the kids how stuff works. I expect you’re right about the amount of work he’s got on, a reply would be nice.

PEterW
Not knowing about collimation just puts you in the league with 100% of the folks on the Internet who THINK they do ... and don't. But since I get picked on so much for being a braggart, know-it-all, I will get back to you with a PM. If you have done good work on the other things you've mentioned, you won't find collimation being that much of a chore.

Bill
Old Wednesday 14th March 2018, 19:27   #16
wllmspd

Binoculars returned, clean, collimated (to within the tolerance of my uncalibrated eyes) and well packaged. Very reasonable price too, happy customer. Nice to have their wide views back.

PEterW

Quote:
Not knowing about collimation just puts you in the league with 100% of the folks on the Internet who THINK they do ... and don't. But since I get picked on so much for being a braggart, know-it-all, I will get back to you with a PM. If you have done good work on the other things you've mentioned, you won't find collimation being that much of a chore.

Bill
Old Wednesday 14th March 2018, 20:32   #17
WJC

Quote:
Binoculars returned, clean, collimated (to within the tolerance of my uncalibrated eyes) and well packaged. Very reasonable price too, happy customer. Nice to have their wide views back.

PEterW
"Returned," does that mean you sent them out? Did Gary do it for you?

Bill
Old Wednesday 14th March 2018, 20:53   #18
wllmspd

Yep, sent out well before I learnt of the secrets of 3 axis collimation....

PEter

Quote:
"Returned," does that mean you sent them out? Did Gary do it for you?

Bill
Old Wednesday 14th March 2018, 20:59   #19
WJC

Quote:
Yep, sent out well before I learnt of the secrets of 3 axis collimation....

PEter
For those willing to do a little research, there are no "secrets."

Bill

PS We got London weather here, today. It reminds me of Western Washington.
Old Thursday 15th March 2018, 00:53   #20
NDhunter

I am wondering if some on here know how many binocular repair shops in the US offer full repair services.

This does not include the mfrs. but independent shops with full collimation ability.

I purchased a used Nikon SE from Land, Sea and Sky in Houston a few years back that had some
dust inside, they cleaned it and it was returned as good as new.

I am familiar with Suddarth Optical.

Jerry
Old Thursday 15th March 2018, 02:19   #21
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
I am wondering if some on here know how many binocular repair shops in the US offer full repair services.

This does not include the mfrs. but independent shops with full collimation ability.

I purchased a used Nikon SE from Land, Sea and Sky in Houston a few years back that had some
dust inside, they cleaned it and it was returned as good as new.

I am familiar with Suddarth Optical.

Jerry
Hi, Jerry:

To me FULL SERVICE means they work on whatever you put in front of them. Most will not. I would put Cory as the top dog. But I would also trust Les at Texas Nautical in Houston, Brian at Baker Marine in San Diego, or Marty at Company Seven in Montpilier,Maryland. These are the people I could trust.

I know there are others who have received rave reviews. However, words are considerably cheaper than deeds. If you need your lenses cleaned, a hinge tightened, or a quasi-collimation job done, any number of techs could handle your work just fine. But if you have an expensive or ancient instrument, you should look a little farther up the food chain.

There are some companies with websites that overflow with sparkling words that lack photos to back up those words. Be cautious. Others advertise that they make (as in manufacture) binoculars. Well, if they will lie about that, one has to wonder what else they will lie about and when.

Finally, check on endorsements of something more than the kindergarten work mentioned in the second paragraph.

I got in trouble last month because someone thought I was promoting myself. Well, I have been out of the business for 10 years but 27 years ago I received the attached letter. The wannabe will never get such a letter. If your needs are small, look anywhere. If your needs are great, you better be ready for a little research.

Bill

PS If this isn't appropriate just delete it. I meant no harm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	O'GARA 1992.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	656243  

Last edited by WJC : Thursday 15th March 2018 at 07:06.
Old Saturday 17th March 2018, 21:28   #22
Eazyglider

Just an update on this thread. I've returned the binos to the RSPB site where I purchased them on 3rd March. They were to return them to Viking who should call me with an estimate for repair prior to going ahead with anything. They are still in the warranty period but I don't have the receipt so Viking may charge me. I did ask if the repair could be 'expedited' so they could be returned to me by 3rd April as we're going on holiday and I'd like to take them with me. If they can't be repaired & returned by this date then I'll buy some new ones. As of today I've heard nothing so will call the RSPB site on Monday to chase them up.

Thanks everyone for all your comments and I'll let you know the eventual outcome.

Eazyglider
Old Wednesday 2nd May 2018, 18:53   #23
Eazyglider

Hi All,

Just to let you know my binos came back from Viking Optics who did an absolutely marvellous job with them, very quick turn around too. They look like a new pair having been realigned and given a full overhaul and now look like a brand new pair. Thank you sooo much Viking Optics, I am very grateful for your help and the excellent job you have done. Very reasonable price too.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: