Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular Repairs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 15:23   #1
Eazyglider
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aberford
Posts: 33
Binocular Repairs

Hi, Can anyone suggest where I could get some RSPB (WPG) 8.5 x 42 binos repaired? I've had them about 8 years now and suddenly I can't get them to focus on both sides. If I focus on one side the other is blurred. I'm near York. Thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.
Eazyglider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 15:32   #2
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 8,735
Try http://binocular-repair.co.uk/

Gary has huge experience and has worked for Leica and is the official UK service centre for Zeiss, but he has experience of every kind of binos.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 15:36   #3
Eazyglider
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aberford
Posts: 33
Thanks Lee, I'll give them a call.
Eazyglider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 19:28   #4
typo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 3,725
I couldn't find any warranty information on the WPGs. It might be they are still covered? Viking supply the RSPB binoculars and provide servicing and repairs. I suspect they are more likely to know if it is covered or not. 01986 875315

David
typo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 19:44   #5
dipped
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: suffolk
Posts: 1,154
Ten year warranty on WPG's so if you have the receipt they may be covered. Can be handed in at any reserve and will be sent to Halesworth, Suffolk where Joe should be able to fix them.
dipped is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 20:06   #6
typo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 3,725
Is that Joe who used to work with Dougie in Glasgow? He was rather unsure about moving south and initially only agreed to a six month trial. Glad he decided to stay.

David
typo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 2nd March 2018, 10:08   #7
Swarovski Man
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 133
Dougie was The Man.

I used to pop in regularly for his knowledgeable and impartial advice. Sorely missed.
Swarovski Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 2nd March 2018, 16:48   #8
WJC
Registered User
 
WJC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyglider View Post
Hi, Can anyone suggest where I could get some RSPB (WPG) 8.5 x 42 binos repaired? I've had them about 8 years now and suddenly I can't get them to focus on both sides. If I focus on one side the other is blurred. I'm near York. Thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.
Being this whole thread is by Brits, I might mention Tony Kay of OptRep.

Bill

PS Sorry to break the cycle.
__________________
“Teaching high school today requires the skills one would need to pilot a bus full of chickens backward, with no brakes, down a rocky road through the Andes while providing colorful and informative commentary on the scenery.” — Franklin Habit
WJC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 2nd March 2018, 17:56   #9
Stephen Prower
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stevenage
Posts: 182
Eazyglider

Supporting Lee (Post #2).

Gary has just done a good job for me at a very reasonable price.


Stephen
Stephen Prower is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 08:02   #10
wllmspd
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hampton
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Prower View Post
Eazyglider

Supporting Lee (Post #2).

Gary has just done a good job for me at a very reasonable price.


Stephen
Ive has an old pair of 7x35 with Gary for a few months for a simple clean and collimate. When I got them I realised they’d been dropped (mark on the objective ring), so I reseated one prism. They were usable, but not perfect so I sent them in for a clean and collimate. After a month or so they arrived back but the collimation was way off. They had been well packed but the box was a little squished, so I sent them back. I have not had any reply to my emails in the meantime, so my experiences are currently not too favourable.

PEterW
wllmspd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 14:26   #11
WJC
Registered User
 
WJC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by wllmspd View Post
Ive has an old pair of 7x35 with Gary for a few months for a simple clean and collimate. When I got them I realised they’d been dropped (mark on the objective ring), so I reseated one prism. They were usable, but not perfect so I sent them in for a clean and collimate. After a month or so they arrived back but the collimation was way off. They had been well packed but the box was a little squished, so I sent them back. I have not had any reply to my emails in the meantime, so my experiences are currently not too favourable.

PEterW
Hi, PEterW:

You are fortunate to have more qualified, out of warranty, techs in your country than I have in mine. And from what I hear and have read Gary is top drawer among them. Although I don't have the wherewithal to defend him in your situation, one of your comments threw up a red flag to me.

In part you said, "... for a simple clean and collimate."

I wish I had a dollar for every time heard or read something like that when the customer HAD NO IDEA what he or she was talking about. This is not to impugn or trivialize your comment at all, just to share many unfortunate experiences. And then there were the times when someone would enter the store on the optics shop level, drop off a binocular telling a dumbfounded staff member something like: "Whatever it takes ... I'll clear you to $25," when the repair meter ran at $120 an hour* with a one-hour minimum. Then, when the customer was found and brought into reality, would say something like: "Hell, I didn't pay that much for them, new," as if I were responsible for his cheapness, naiveté, or being clueless as to what would be involved in the repair. The owners of FMTR-SXs or Seahawks never asked about the cost. The owners of Bushnells or TASCOs always did.

You might want to contact Gary to ask some questions sprinkled with "whys." Those answers might be very informative.

Just a thought.

Bill

* PS I did freebies whenever possible.
__________________
“Teaching high school today requires the skills one would need to pilot a bus full of chickens backward, with no brakes, down a rocky road through the Andes while providing colorful and informative commentary on the scenery.” — Franklin Habit
WJC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 14:46   #12
Binastro
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.England
Posts: 4,226
Probably too much work on hand.

If one has to ask how much a Rolls Royce costs to buy or to service, then one cannot afford a Rolls Royce.
Binastro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 16:31   #13
WJC
Registered User
 
WJC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
Probably too much work on hand.

If one has to ask how much a Rolls Royce costs to buy or to service, then one cannot afford a Rolls Royce.
So, true! When we left Seattle, I had to sell our Silver Cloud AND Silver Shadow. Now, I have to be seen driving around town in a year-old Bentley. Oh, the humanities.

Bill

PS Is a Bentley an "ALPHA"?
__________________
“Teaching high school today requires the skills one would need to pilot a bus full of chickens backward, with no brakes, down a rocky road through the Andes while providing colorful and informative commentary on the scenery.” — Franklin Habit

Last edited by WJC : Tuesday 6th March 2018 at 16:34.
WJC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 18:36   #14
wllmspd
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hampton
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
So, true! When we left Seattle, I had to sell our Silver Cloud AND Silver Shadow. Now, I have to be seen driving around town in a year-old Bentley. Oh, the humanities.

Bill

PS Is a Bentley an "ALPHA"?
I have done work with optics, lazers, interferometers etc in the past, good friends with our optical workshop guys too.. Perfectly happy giving things a “spit and polish” with a lint free cloth and some IPA. I am happy to disassemble these things, but lack the collimation gubbins to do things “properly”. Nowadays I just “play” with 3D printing…..
If a fix was deemed uneconomic I’d be happy to have a go myself, show the kids how stuff works. I expect you’re right about the amount of work he’s got on, a reply would be nice.

PEterW
wllmspd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 19:32   #15
WJC
Registered User
 
WJC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by wllmspd View Post
I have done work with optics, lazers, interferometers etc in the past, good friends with our optical workshop guys too.. Perfectly happy giving things a “spit and polish” with a lint free cloth and some IPA. I am happy to disassemble these things, but lack the collimation gubbins to do things “properly”. Nowadays I just “play” with 3D printing…..
If a fix was deemed uneconomic I’d be happy to have a go myself, show the kids how stuff works. I expect you’re right about the amount of work he’s got on, a reply would be nice.

PEterW
Not knowing about collimation just puts you in the league with 100% of the folks on the Internet who THINK they do ... and don't. But since I get picked on so much for being a braggart, know-it-all, I will get back to you with a PM. If you have done good work on the other things you've mentioned, you won't find collimation being that much of a chore.

Bill
__________________
“Teaching high school today requires the skills one would need to pilot a bus full of chickens backward, with no brakes, down a rocky road through the Andes while providing colorful and informative commentary on the scenery.” — Franklin Habit
WJC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 14th March 2018, 19:27   #16
wllmspd
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hampton
Posts: 208
Binoculars returned, clean, collimated (to within the tolerance of my uncalibrated eyes) and well packaged. Very reasonable price too, happy customer. Nice to have their wide views back.

PEterW


Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
Not knowing about collimation just puts you in the league with 100% of the folks on the Internet who THINK they do ... and don't. But since I get picked on so much for being a braggart, know-it-all, I will get back to you with a PM. If you have done good work on the other things you've mentioned, you won't find collimation being that much of a chore.

Bill
wllmspd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 14th March 2018, 20:32   #17
WJC
Registered User
 
WJC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by wllmspd View Post
Binoculars returned, clean, collimated (to within the tolerance of my uncalibrated eyes) and well packaged. Very reasonable price too, happy customer. Nice to have their wide views back.

PEterW
"Returned," does that mean you sent them out? Did Gary do it for you?

Bill
__________________
“Teaching high school today requires the skills one would need to pilot a bus full of chickens backward, with no brakes, down a rocky road through the Andes while providing colorful and informative commentary on the scenery.” — Franklin Habit
WJC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 14th March 2018, 20:53   #18
wllmspd
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hampton
Posts: 208
Yep, sent out well before I learnt of the secrets of 3 axis collimation....

PEter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
"Returned," does that mean you sent them out? Did Gary do it for you?

Bill
wllmspd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 14th March 2018, 20:59   #19
WJC
Registered User
 
WJC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by wllmspd View Post
Yep, sent out well before I learnt of the secrets of 3 axis collimation....

PEter
For those willing to do a little research, there are no "secrets."

Bill

PS We got London weather here, today. It reminds me of Western Washington.
__________________
“Teaching high school today requires the skills one would need to pilot a bus full of chickens backward, with no brakes, down a rocky road through the Andes while providing colorful and informative commentary on the scenery.” — Franklin Habit
WJC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 15th March 2018, 00:53   #20
NDhunter
Registered User
 
NDhunter's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ND
Posts: 3,966
I am wondering if some on here know how many binocular repair shops in the US offer full repair services.

This does not include the mfrs. but independent shops with full collimation ability.

I purchased a used Nikon SE from Land, Sea and Sky in Houston a few years back that had some
dust inside, they cleaned it and it was returned as good as new.

I am familiar with Suddarth Optical.

Jerry
NDhunter is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 15th March 2018, 02:19   #21
WJC
Registered User
 
WJC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
I am wondering if some on here know how many binocular repair shops in the US offer full repair services.

This does not include the mfrs. but independent shops with full collimation ability.

I purchased a used Nikon SE from Land, Sea and Sky in Houston a few years back that had some
dust inside, they cleaned it and it was returned as good as new.

I am familiar with Suddarth Optical.

Jerry
Hi, Jerry:

To me FULL SERVICE means they work on whatever you put in front of them. Most will not. I would put Cory as the top dog. But I would also trust Les at Texas Nautical in Houston, Brian at Baker Marine in San Diego, or Marty at Company Seven in Montpilier,Maryland. These are the people I could trust.

I know there are others who have received rave reviews. However, words are considerably cheaper than deeds. If you need your lenses cleaned, a hinge tightened, or a quasi-collimation job done, any number of techs could handle your work just fine. But if you have an expensive or ancient instrument, you should look a little farther up the food chain.

There are some companies with websites that overflow with sparkling words that lack photos to back up those words. Be cautious. Others advertise that they make (as in manufacture) binoculars. Well, if they will lie about that, one has to wonder what else they will lie about and when.

Finally, check on endorsements of something more than the kindergarten work mentioned in the second paragraph.

I got in trouble last month because someone thought I was promoting myself. Well, I have been out of the business for 10 years but 27 years ago I received the attached letter. The wannabe will never get such a letter. If your needs are small, look anywhere. If your needs are great, you better be ready for a little research.

Bill

PS If this isn't appropriate just delete it. I meant no harm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	O'GARA 1992.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	656243  
__________________
“Teaching high school today requires the skills one would need to pilot a bus full of chickens backward, with no brakes, down a rocky road through the Andes while providing colorful and informative commentary on the scenery.” — Franklin Habit

Last edited by WJC : Thursday 15th March 2018 at 07:06.
WJC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 17th March 2018, 21:28   #22
Eazyglider
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aberford
Posts: 33
Just an update on this thread. I've returned the binos to the RSPB site where I purchased them on 3rd March. They were to return them to Viking who should call me with an estimate for repair prior to going ahead with anything. They are still in the warranty period but I don't have the receipt so Viking may charge me. I did ask if the repair could be 'expedited' so they could be returned to me by 3rd April as we're going on holiday and I'd like to take them with me. If they can't be repaired & returned by this date then I'll buy some new ones. As of today I've heard nothing so will call the RSPB site on Monday to chase them up.

Thanks everyone for all your comments and I'll let you know the eventual outcome.

Eazyglider
Eazyglider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 2nd May 2018, 18:53   #23
Eazyglider
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aberford
Posts: 33
Hi All,

Just to let you know my binos came back from Viking Optics who did an absolutely marvellous job with them, very quick turn around too. They look like a new pair having been realigned and given a full overhaul and now look like a brand new pair. Thank you sooo much Viking Optics, I am very grateful for your help and the excellent job you have done. Very reasonable price too.
Eazyglider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Binocular Repairs and Cleaning OPTIC_NUT Others 98 Tuesday 5th May 2015 12:44
Binocular repairs in Melbourne? Ozman Binoculars 4 Wednesday 18th September 2013 08:54
Binocular Repairs Nickgas Others 2 Wednesday 13th February 2008 13:59
Binocular Repairs, Advice. ghostrider Birds & Birding 13 Sunday 4th March 2007 05:04
Binocular Repairs in NE England? Gill Osborne Binoculars 16 Friday 23rd September 2005 03:31

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.29153895 seconds with 36 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:06.