Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Absolute top 10x (under $3000)

Old Monday 2nd April 2018, 03:27   #101
dries1

Sf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maljunulo View Post
I'm getting confused.

Did she or did she not order Zeiss SF?

If yes, did she get them yet?

If yes, what was her impression of them?
We would like to hear/read her thoughts on the SFs.......no.........thats right, no the Tracts.....and what about those Swaro 8X50 Porros. I am confused too.

Andy w.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 2nd April 2018, 04:01   #102
black crow

No she did not order the Zeiss, She bought instead my 8x50 Swaro's and a Tract 10x42 and a Nikon Monarch 8x30 instead.

We are going to view the Tract's tomorrow or Tuesday, She loves the Swaros and says they are the best thing she's ever used and that's about all she talks about since I sold them to her. She has two Western Screech Owls living in her backyard and she loves the 50mm for dawn and dusk viewing of the little guys. The Monarch she bought for running. We looked at it today and I was really impressed by it. It's a great optic for the money IMO. Sorry for the confusion guys but I wrote all about it above.
Old Monday 2nd April 2018, 04:38   #103
gunut
Registered Offender

BC;
then she should be set...8x30 compact...10x42 mid range..8x50 home base low lite specialty bin....
Old Monday 2nd April 2018, 04:44   #104
black crow

I think so. She also has a very nice Eagle Optics Ranger 8x42 and A Zen Ray 9x36.
Old Monday 9th April 2018, 16:49   #105
black crow

OK she actually bought the Zeiss this morning. So now we finally get to find about what all this fuss is about.

She got a great deal at $2110. I have to mention SportsOptics because I've had some issues with them myself. When she called them they told her she could only get the 10% and not the added %13 their promo code offers as that would mean they would lose money on these bins. I told her that was BS and that Zeiss was paying that 10% and to just do the order online. When she did that she got both discounts and the deal at $2110. I really have some reservations with either their training or their integrity. Maybe both.

Last edited by black crow : Monday 9th April 2018 at 16:51.
Old Monday 9th April 2018, 17:33   #106
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by black crow View Post
OK she actually bought the Zeiss this morning. So now we finally get to find about what all this fuss is about.

She got a great deal at $2110. I have to mention SportsOptics because I've had some issues with them myself. When she called them they told her she could only get the 10% and not the added %13 their promo code offers as that would mean they would lose money on these bins. I told her that was BS and that Zeiss was paying that 10% and to just do the order online. When she did that she got both discounts and the deal at $2110. I really have some reservations with either their training or their integrity. Maybe both.
Great for her, BC. Hope they honor the websites pricing!

Ted

Old Monday 9th April 2018, 17:41   #107
black crow

They better. If they post it they should honor it even if they are in error. That's called integrity. I've detected two Fov errors on their products when I was looking to buy from them and sent 3 emails to inform them and they've ignored all three and left the specs as they are. This says something to me about how they do business.
Old Monday 9th April 2018, 17:48   #108
dries1

I call it the great Brain Drain that is occurring today.

Andy W.

Old Monday 9th April 2018, 17:56   #109
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
They better. If they post it they should honor it even if they are in error. That's called integrity. I've detected two Fov errors on their products when I was looking to buy from them and sent 3 emails to inform them and they've ignored all three and left the specs as they are. This says something to me about how they do business.
Unfortunately, you find on-line misinformation on too many products these days (electronics, consumables, hardware, tools, Optics, etc.). Very few manufactures will respond, or take way too long to make needed corrections on stated specifications that consumers use to make purchasing decisions.

Life in the fast lane...Wise to do Your homework. Buyer Beware!!

Ted

Old Monday 9th April 2018, 18:07   #110
black crow

Yeah I know, I tell myself everytime now that customer service is a minefield. If you get some of it without it blowing up in your face you've done exceptionally well. Several times folk here have saved me from some "customer service" when buying a binocular. And I've found to my dismay that shoping elsewhere is not at all a guaranteed solution. Amazon has been my only exception to this.
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 00:41   #111
wdc

Quote:

Hey BC, Thanks for head's up on how to get both discounts to apply. I just ordered an 8x42 SF from them. Been on my list for awhile, and that is the best price I've seen yet. I hope it doesn't get screwed up somehow. Now I've got that 'waiting for the bins' fever...

;-)

Hope your friend enjoys hers, and yes, you should take a peek through them too.

Bill
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 01:55   #112
black crow

She's thinking of ordering a second pair, this time the 8x42.
I don't see why it matters to SO. The Zeiss optics co. is paying that first 10% not Sports Optics. SO is offering 13% off their end and when they don't you can't click on that discount code. That's how they set it up every time I've ordered from them. So I don't know why they told her what they told her but IMO they are major screw ups anyway. If you got the price on that order it should be good. My friends have already shipped out. I would think they would have a hard time breaking that online contract and billing her more than they stated.
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 02:08   #113
wdc

Quote:
She's thinking of ordering a second pair, this time the 8x42.
I don't see why it matters to SO. The Zeiss optics co. is paying that first 10% not Sports Optics. SO is offering 13% off their end and when they don't you can't click on that discount code. That's how they set it up every time I've ordered from them. So I don't know why they told her what they told her but IMO they are major screw ups anyway. If you got the price on that order it should be good. My friends have already shipped out. I would think they would have a hard time breaking that online contract and billing her more than they stated.
It puts a kink in personal service, if you can get a better price from the computer.... at the same place of business! Someone is not connecting the dots there, but the price was right.

-Bill
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 02:20   #114
black crow

Is personal service anything like customer service? If it is I think it went extinct about the same time the hippies did.

I am the last surviving hippy btw.
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 08:27   #115
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Unfortunately, you find on-line misinformation on too many products these days (electronics, consumables, hardware, tools, Optics, etc.). Very few manufactures will respond, or take way too long to make needed corrections on stated specifications that consumers use to make purchasing decisions.

Life in the fast lane...Wise to do Your homework. Buyer Beware!!

Ted
Ted you are dead right.
Here is my guess at some of the reasons why it takes so long to get corrections done.

You spot what you think is an error on a bino brand's website lets say the fov is wrong because the figure in metres and feet don't agree.
You tell someone in the sales dept.
They pass it on, after a couple of weeks, to marketing who discuss it eventually with the product manager because they don't know if it is an error. The product manager is traveling around the world to optics shows and the conversation doesn't take place until two months later. Yes its an error and he gives the marketing folks the correct number. Two or three weeks later marketing passes this to the website creation company which acts as webmaster for them and it gets assigned to the regular person who handles that brand. But this person also handles a gazillion other websites and brands and says I can't do this right now and in any case we have a big website change coming up in 3 months anyway, why don't we discuss all of this at the next meeting and then I can do all the work in one session and the website will only need to be closed down once. Doing all these corrections one at a time means the website is down regularly and it irritates visitors to the site so lets just do it once........

Before you know it 6 months or more have passed........

Lee
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 10:08   #116
black crow

Or worse. These things might backfire on them at times however. This may be a case in point. They could lose thousands of dollars or just make a lot of people mad. I worked in sales in a couple of places for over 20 of my later years in the workforce. I don't know how big that operation is but I found the problems get worse the closer you find yourself to "management". They "manage" to screw things up and are,in my experience, more often than not, the worst workers with the least integrity.

Now after 50% of my as of late interactions have gone haywire I just assume that a screw up is very likely each time I buy something. When I go to make a purchase or get information it's like a little war game. I have to figure a way to get what I think they have promised or claimed and get out as fast as I can with product or service in hand. I'm trying to see it as a game and not take anything personally. Just play hard and to win and try on my end to always play fair and assume they may not.

I'm dealing right now with an online insurance policy I canceled as per what the policy states. I did everything correctly on my end. I canceled and they refuse to respond and refund my money. When I went online to see about their customer service record it turns out this is one of their standard practices. ( I played the game poorly but not checking this before buying) They try to ignore you and hope you will give up and go away leaving them with your money. Same issues when you have an actual claim. Amazon seems to be ok with this kind of behavior by a seller on their website. I bought this on Amazon to cover a bino that I thought only had a one year warranty. (the EII) . I've now had to file a claim with Amazon to get a lousy $21 bucks back. This is not someone making an error. This is stealing IMO and it sure looks like it's standard operating procedure.

How I got fooled is that people who never have a claim to settle assume that they got something for their money and give a five star rating. They base that rating on no real evidence and so skew the rating so that the company manages four stars when they should actually be getting about 2 or three at best. I was a dummy for not seeing that right off. I played this hand poorly.

I encouraged her to buy a second pair in 8x. We'll see if that order goes through.

Last edited by black crow : Tuesday 10th April 2018 at 10:41.
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 10:50   #117
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Ted you are dead right.
Here is my guess at some of the reasons why it takes so long to get corrections done.

You spot what you think is an error on a bino brand's website lets say the fov is wrong because the figure in metres and feet don't agree.
You tell someone in the sales dept.
They pass it on, after a couple of weeks, to marketing who discuss it eventually with the product manager because they don't know if it is an error. The product manager is traveling around the world to optics shows and the conversation doesn't take place until two months later. Yes its an error and he gives the marketing folks the correct number. Two or three weeks later marketing passes this to the website creation company which acts as webmaster for them and it gets assigned to the regular person who handles that brand. But this person also handles a gazillion other websites and brands and says I can't do this right now and in any case we have a big website change coming up in 3 months anyway, why don't we discuss all of this at the next meeting and then I can do all the work in one session and the website will only need to be closed down once. Doing all these corrections one at a time means the website is down regularly and it irritates visitors to the site so lets just do it once........

Before you know it 6 months or more have passed........

Lee
From the house of Lee, Words of wisdom...and I venture, much Real World Experience?!

Ted

Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 22:31   #118
black crow

First pair of Zeiss Victory arrived which are the 8x42. I won't try to do an evaluation proper and you've seen plenty and you already know how good they are. I've certainly never looked through a better binocular. I was very impressed by how sharp they were out to the edge. That is amazing. That and a very smooth focuser and tack sharp at center. Very bright and very good contrast. I put my EII up against them because it's the best we had. The Zeiss were easily brighter and the contrast was better, they were better out at the edge and easier to handle and easier on the eye. What made me smile is that dead center sharpness was very similar. Overall for 1/5 of the cost the EII can do some of the things that Zeiss can do or come very very close. I'm even more satisfied now. But there is no doubt about which is the best. That is one amazing binocular. My friend was completely satisfied with something finally. The down side is she fractured her wrist last night when she dropped the Zeiss and tried to grab them and fell. Can you believe that. She had Xrays this morning and came home in a sling. Fortunately she can hold them with one hand which is her right hand. The 10x arrives next week.
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 02:31   #119
dries1

You can't make this up.........can you. Heck of an occurrence.

Andy W.

Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 02:53   #120
black crow

I asked her why she hadn't put the Bino neck strap on them before taking them out and she just looked at me. So I dropped it. er I mean she dropped it.
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 04:33   #121
ceasar

Quote:
That tells me that they have to correct their website which ideally they will do when they get around to it.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 05:11   #122
dries1

SF Drop

Quote:
I asked her why she hadn't put the Bino neck strap on them before taking them out and she just looked at me. So I dropped it. er I mean she dropped it.
Well I wish her the best on the wrist, hope it heals quickly, to get out there for some viewing. The SF has very good optics and I am sure they will be enjoyed.

You will like the 10X35 EII, it is new to me also, and I ordered it after enjoying the 8X30 EII. The 7 degree FOV with the porro view is surprisingly good on a dark night for astro, and they are light in hand.

Just tell her don't drop any more glass, especially using one hand.

Andy W.

Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 08:03   #123
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
From the house of Lee, Words of wisdom...and I venture, much Real World Experience?!

Ted
I couldn't possibly comment.........

Lee
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 08:09   #124
Troubador

BC
Your lady friend will find that there will be a legacy from having her wrist immobilised. This happened in different circumstances to Troubadoris and it only takes a very few weeks of inactivity for the muscles to atrophy. We recommend she gets physical therapy after the wrist heals so that she recovers her full wrist function. Give her our best wishes.

Lee
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 10:37   #125
black crow

Thank you. I'll relay your message to her. It's a very good idea and she has great insurance. I spent much of the day over there with her yesterday after she got home from the hospital and I opened a big drawer at her house and it had a huge number of binoculars in it. It was all the binoculars I had found and that we had tried out. I had sold off many of mine but she hadn't bothered. It was totally fun going through all of them just for a peek at each and then back to my EII and her Zeiss. We just sat down by the creek and all the birds we saw were tiny bush tits and some yellow rumped warblers they were in very tall trees and those guys were far up above us so that it was challenge to identify them because the sun was facing towards us. Both binoculars did a great job however of seeing enough detail to identify them. Plus with her 444 ft and my 664 ft Fov they could not elude us even when zipping from tree to tree. It was very relaxed and very fun. I felt like a bit of a king looking through those binoculars. This confirmed for me that I was correct to think that I could find some of the best binoculars for me and friend without having to become an expert on optics and that I could form options that worked and were valid to a great extent just by careful evaluation of what knowledgeable folk here said and some hands on viewing on a somewhat daily basis based on intuitive analysis of the optic. (did it look good to me) I still hardly know much about optics. It's never been a goal of mine. I've achieved my goal. I know what a good optic is without being really able to tell you much about how I know it's good.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: