Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Serious question about the Nikon EDG

Old Thursday 26th April 2018, 18:18   #51
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by black crow View Post
Actually I don't see any double bridge pics. Question, how would you compare the EDG to the MHG models?
I can tell you that I have no eye placement problems using my 10x32 EDG (II) but I do with my Monarch HG 8x42.

I must have the precise IPD and brace it just right up against my brow ridge or I will occasionally get small brief blackouts while using it. They happen when I move my eyes to follow a bird rather than moving my head with the binocular.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th April 2018, 03:19   #52
black crow

For anyone wanting to save bucks by buying the international version of the EDG on Amazon I contacted Nikon US about the warranty and they said the US warranty would apply. Hope that is true but here's what they sent me.
Thank you for contacting Nikon.

It was a pleasure assisting you, Just Provide your receipt for the Lifetime warranty and you should be good.

Should there be any other questions or concerns, feel free to call or email us.
1-800-645-6687.

Sincerely,

Ariel T
Nikon Customer Support
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 14:54   #53
black crow

It's amazing how unclear tech support can be. I asked for further clarification due to that first email being a little unclear and here's what I got. Are they saying I need the original receipt form Nikon factory to seller or from the seller? Plus there are spelling errors. I often wonder if they train or supervise anyone.lol First they implied international was no problem Now this. I guess I'm going to call them and try and talk to someone. I don't even want a pair at this time but I don't want to put out bad information here. The savings on the international version is nothing to laugh at. On Amazon it's $350 -400 depending on the size.

Response from Ariel T.
Thank you for contacting Nikon.

You have the have the Original receipt from the origin of where it was purchased in ordered to be covered under warranty, I would advise you not to buy International.

Should there be any other questions or concerns, feel free to call or email us.
1-800-645-6687.
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 15:00   #54
Alexis Powell

Nikon has historically been quite strict about only covering official USA imports under the USA warranty.
Nikon has varied with respect to what is covered under the 25 year no fault warranty for Sport Optics.
I think the bigger issue these days is that they only cover models for ~5 years post production.
L/Z/S have done better with maintaining ability to repair out of production models.

--AP
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 16:07   #55
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Buying outside the USA carries a certain risk with it so you kinda have to weigh the risk before you buy. I've bought several overseas; Meoota B1, NIB Leica Trinovid BN, Swarovski Habicht NIB, NIB Zeiss FL....I believe that's it. Meopta didn't even blink and registered the B1 for warranty right away. Zeiss wouldn't even when I mailed the warranty card in(not a current model), the Leica and the Habicht I didn't even try. So I kinda weigh the risk...what going to go wrong with a Habicht? Nothing. Zeiss FL? Same. Trinovid BN? Same. So I believe I'm good with these without a warranty. The EDG....I honestly only know of two main issues....hinge tension and after a while the armoring MAY come unglued. The hinge tension YOU can fix for the amount it would take to ship to Nikon. Probably can fix the armoring with a little glue. That's my thoughts on it FWIW. I'd rather have a NIB overseas EDG than a refurbished one.

I bought my EDG from a guy on EBAY....NIB....$1600 knowing it probably wouldn't be covered under any warranty. Outside of hinge tension which I fixed pretty easily....it's been perfect!

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th April 2018, 16:20   #56
BruceH
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by black crow View Post
It's amazing how unclear tech support can be. I asked for further clarification due to that first email being a little unclear and here's what I got..............
One thing I have learned over the years about Nikon Optics is that if you ask ten Nikon people the same warranty question, you will get 10 different answers.

Here is the current written USA warranty. Note it says it applies the the original purchaser only and is not transferable. It also says you must include the warranty form along with the bill of sale. Also of significance is it says it is valid only for new Nikon binocular sold by Nikon Inc. I am assuming Nikon Inc. is the Nikon USA operation that imports the products to the US.

Since the document says the form can not be reproduced (and I am not sure exactly how that applies), I figured it best not to post an image but instead just the link to the Nikon page ...........

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en_...nty-sample.pdf

What makes things even more confusing is Nikon USA also has a "No Fault Policy". At one time it was a written document but I can not find one anymore. There is just a web page with a vague video. Good luck in figuring out what will or will not be covered. Also, based on what I learned from Forum posts, a policy is not the same as a warranty. A policy can be changed or revoked at any time.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n.../no-fault.page

Bottom line, the Nikon USA approach to warranty has been a fiasco for a long time and continues to be that way. It looks to me that an international purchase is not covered under the written warranty. However if they do cover it, then consider it done under good will.

Also keep in mind this is for new products. Nikon refurbs are another discussion.

I suspect some of the folks at Nikon are well aware of the issue. The founders of Tract Optics are former Nikon execs. I noticed they did not repeat this same approach with coming up with the Tract warranty. Last time I checked, there is a large variation in the clarity of the written warranty coverage among the producers. Nikon is near the bottom, Zeiss and Vortex among others near the top and Swaro somewhere in between.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th April 2018, 16:30   #57
Pileatus

The day will arrive when an EDG is "replaced" with whatever Nikon deems appropriate.

Here's a question.
Will Nikon clean an E2/SE porro that is otherwise in good condition? Or, will they want to replace it as they now do for E's/SE's sent in for repair?
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 16:39   #58
black crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Buying outside the USA carries a certain risk with it so you kinda have to weigh the risk before you buy. I've bought several overseas; Meoota B1, NIB Leica Trinovid BN, Swarovski Habicht NIB, NIB Zeiss FL....I believe that's it. Meopta didn't even blink and registered the B1 for warranty right away. Zeiss wouldn't even when I mailed the warranty card in(not a current model), the Leica and the Habicht I didn't even try. So I kinda weigh the risk...what going to go wrong with a Habicht? Nothing. Zeiss FL? Same. Trinovid BN? Same. So I believe I'm good with these without a warranty. The EDG....I honestly only know of two main issues....hinge tension and after a while the armoring MAY come unglued. The hinge tension YOU can fix for the amount it would take to ship to Nikon. Probably can fix the armoring with a little glue. That's my thoughts on it FWIW. I'd rather have a NIB overseas EDG than a refurbished one.

I bought my EDG from a guy on EBAY....NIB....$1600 knowing it probably wouldn't be covered under any warranty. Outside of hinge tension which I fixed pretty easily....it's been perfect!

This kind of covers my reasoning. I'll take calculated risks if I think the odds are stacked in my favor.
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 20:06   #59
dries1

Nikon SE

Pileatus,

I bought a SE from a forum member who had the SE serviced, so yes they will clean, relube check alignment etc. I have the paperwork. As of earlier this year.

Now, will they replace a cracked lens, probably not.

Andy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
The day will arrive when an EDG is "replaced" with whatever Nikon deems appropriate.

Here's a question.
Will Nikon clean an E2/SE porro that is otherwise in good condition? Or, will they want to replace it as they now do for E's/SE's sent in for repair?

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th April 2018, 22:11   #60
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
Pileatus,

I bought a SE from a forum member who had the SE serviced, so yes they will clean, relube check alignment etc. I have the paperwork. As of earlier this year.

Now, will they replace a cracked lens, probably not.

Andy W.
Thanks!
Old Saturday 28th April 2018, 08:08   #61
Troubador

Bruce Post 56

Many thanks for the research and careful summing up.

I wonder if the optics companies are able to take out insurance to cover warranty costs. Not sure how that could work but if they were able to give say 5 years stats on the costs of warranty claims to an insurance company they might be able to get cover for the eventuality of the annual costs exceeding a certain figure. Insurance is a question of evaluating the risk of an event so I would think it could be done. Question number 2 is, would it be worth the optics company paying the premiums. To a certain extent they can influence this by the quality of the build, within the limits of the price they can sell the binos at, but you can't influence the events that lead to claims under 'no fault' terms.

Lee
Old Saturday 28th April 2018, 14:14   #62
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Bruce Post 56

Many thanks for the research and careful summing up.

I wonder if the optics companies are able to take out insurance to cover warranty costs. Not sure how that could work but if they were able to give say 5 years stats on the costs of warranty claims to an insurance company they might be able to get cover for the eventuality of the annual costs exceeding a certain figure. Insurance is a question of evaluating the risk of an event so I would think it could be done. Question number 2 is, would it be worth the optics company paying the premiums. To a certain extent they can influence this by the quality of the build, within the limits of the price they can sell the binos at, but you can't influence the events that lead to claims under 'no fault' terms.

Lee
I doubt any insurance company would be interested. When a binocular is built I'm sure a certain number of extra parts are manufactured and stored in inventory based on historical repair stats. Obviously, the cost of inventory is passed along in the price of the bin or charged at time of repair. There's no free lunch.

I bought my 7X42 Ultravid in 2004 for $1150 USD with the lifetime Passport warranty (no longer available). Leica recently refurbished it with (upgraded optics, new diopter/focus wheel, hinge, new eye cups and armor). Labor time: 1.25 hours. I paid shipping/insurance both ways.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: