Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

I going for my alpha roof 8x32

Old Wednesday 25th April 2018, 23:54   #51
black crow

One thing I realized all of a sudden on my hike today with our temps approaching 90 degrees today is we are fast entering into our dry season when it's just not going to rain for almost 4 or 4 and a half months. I'm very happy with the performance of my non waterproof EII porros and their 466 ft fov, and so can wait to buy these SVs and hope I find a demo deal or a good condition used one for less than the full price. However I have pretty much decided to get it one way or another. I'll pay full price if necessary and I think it will be worth it. It gives me something very exciting to look forward to. I've never owned such an expensive and high quality binocular. Kind of a dream come true thingy.

Last edited by black crow : Thursday 26th April 2018 at 00:01.
Old Thursday 26th April 2018, 16:18   #52
black crow

OK friends I just ordered the Swaro EL 8x32. I know I said I was going to wait but special circumstances made me jump at the purchase.

Last edited by black crow : Thursday 26th April 2018 at 16:20.
Old Thursday 26th April 2018, 16:29   #53
Maljunulo

I for one, am very excited for you after reading the whole saga of your exploration of these marvelous instruments.

I very much look forward to reading your reactions to having your very own alpha plus, as you make it a part of your life.

You will constantly be amazed at how little you could see without them. (or how poorly, depending on your viewpoint)
Old Thursday 26th April 2018, 17:18   #54
Alexis Powell

I don't know that you'll see anything that you couldn't with other good bins that you have, but it's a calming pleasure to have an instrument that just always does what you expect it should (good in the hands, beautiful easy view, good "hang", well built, nice design). With the best bins, every time I pick them up, I think "Hey, that's nice!" and just go on to enjoy their use without the distraction of assembly flaws or planned compromise design deficiencies. I hope you find the 8x32 SV to be such a bin.

--AP
Old Thursday 26th April 2018, 18:59   #55
Kammerdiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
I don't know that you'll see anything that you couldn't with other good bins that you have, but it's a calming pleasure to have an instrument that just always does what you expect it should (good in the hands, beautiful easy view, good "hang", well built, nice design). With the best bins, every time I pick them up, I think "Hey, that's nice!" and just go on to enjoy their use without the distraction of assembly flaws or planned compromise design deficiencies. I hope you find the 8x32 SV to be such a bin.

--AP
That's what it's all about, I think. I've used 32 and 42 SV's for many years. I just grab and go. The other 8 binos I have sort of lay around. Most are very good, but they don't get used much.
Old Thursday 26th April 2018, 20:27   #56
edwincjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammerdiner View Post
.................................... The other 8 binos I have sort of lay around. Most are very good, but they don't get used much.
Sad, but true for many of us

edj
-L Armstrong, IZ, and others
Old Thursday 26th April 2018, 21:30   #57
wdc

Quote:
That's what it's all about, I think. I've used 32 and 42 SV's for many years. I just grab and go. The other 8 binos I have sort of lay around. Most are very good, but they don't get used much.
Ah, the neglected family that grows while one is figuring out what works best, through extended use and comparison.

It is nice to have some extras that you know will work for you, that others can use when you take friends and family out to bird. Then there's the travel bin.... and the backup for when your main bin goes on the fritz... etc.

Just part of my lengthy list of justifications....

Earlier this year when I'd get home from work in the light before sunset, I'd grab my Leica 7x42 Ultravid BR's, and go look at birds across the street on the hill for a few minutes, as the shadows crept up, all the while thinking, these Leicas sure have such warm, rich colors...

Utterly delusional, but fun nonetheless.

-Bill

Last edited by wdc : Thursday 26th April 2018 at 23:34.
Old Thursday 26th April 2018, 23:25   #58
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Why don't you thin the troops out and just keep the two SV's?

Last edited by [email protected] : Friday 27th April 2018 at 03:14.
Old Thursday 26th April 2018, 23:28   #59
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black crow View Post
OK friends I just ordered the Swaro EL 8x32. I know I said I was going to wait but special circumstances made me jump at the purchase.
Curious where you purchased? Let us know how you like it. I am sure it will WOW you.
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 02:12   #60
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Congrats! I have those special circumstances all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
WOW do I need to think the troops!

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th April 2018, 13:06   #61
paddy7

It's a very natural process, thinning the troops---after a while, you realize you just keep going out with the same stuff, and other bits and pieces are left hanging on the wall.
Then, you might have the emotional attachment to deal with if you've had some great days with the wall-hangers, and can't bear to see them go.
If you haven't - EBAY!!!
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 14:11   #62
Kammerdiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That's what I should do, but I'm on the lazy side. And I see a new 30mm CL on the horizon, if I ever bother to go look at one. I'm content. No hurry.
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 14:40   #63
dries1

For me I like the variety to choose which one to use. Different strokes.....

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th April 2018, 14:45   #64
black crow

For myself also. It adds a little spice to take out different binoculars. Sometimes I take out my least favorite pair just for a change of pace and to remember how great my best ones are. Plus I'm too lazy to sell anything.
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 18:24   #65
black crow

OK here's why I ordered the Swarovskis now instead of waiting.
A friend told me that for some reason LLBean had them on their 25% off sale although all the other Swaros but the Companions were not. He told me to keep it to myself because I guess he wanted some other friends to cash in on this deal. The sale ended last night.

It might have been an error in their system or they were discontinuing that size for some reason but they charged me $1649.25 on my credit card. I'm still waiting for my tracking number but it looks like I just saved $549.75.
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 18:44   #66
JoeJ
BF Supporter 2019

You spent $1,649.25 but you saved $549.75 - every now and again, I hear that same rational from the War Department and she sounds very convinced of the fact she saved money by spending money.

As long as you're happy with the purchase - I'm glad you're happy and wish you the best in their use. As soon as you can add a little "character" to the binocular body, I think you'll feel better - at least I do, after the 1st scuff or nick.

BF Supporter 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th April 2018, 19:48   #67
Troubador

Quote:
A friend told me that for some reason LLBean had them on their 25% off sale although all the other Swaros but the Companions were not. He told me to keep it to myself because I guess he wanted some other friends to cash in on this deal. The sale ended last night.

It might have been an error in their system or they were discontinuing that size for some reason but they charged me $1649.25 on my credit card. I'm still waiting for my tracking number but it looks like I just saved $549.75.

Lee
Old Friday 27th April 2018, 21:03   #68
black crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
You spent $1,649.25 but you saved $549.75 - every now and again, I hear that same rational from the War Department and she sounds very convinced of the fact she saved money by spending money.

As long as you're happy with the purchase - I'm glad you're happy and wish you the best in their use. As soon as you can add a little "character" to the binocular body, I think you'll feel better - at least I do, after the 1st scuff or nick.
I was ready to pay full price if I had to, that's all I know. I think this is better.

I'll kick em around the living room as soon as I open the box and maybe carve my initials in them so no one will steal them.
Old Saturday 28th April 2018, 14:21   #69
Murmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
The more you spend the more you save! I like it!!

Lee
This is a long-established piece of man maths, especially when % reductions are involved...

I have sworn by it for decades.
Old Saturday 28th April 2018, 16:31   #70
Kammerdiner

Quote:

That's how I got my 8.5x42 SV. LL Bean and 30% off. At the time I assumed it was a one-off mistake. Maybe not. My eternal gratitude goes out to Jerry (NDhunter) who found that deal and posted it way back when!

Swaro is probably not happy about it though.
Old Saturday 28th April 2018, 17:00   #71
black crow

Seems like almost all the other Swaros were not included in the sale. I think the Companions were however. It's odd and I'll never know why but I'm not complaining.
Old Saturday 28th April 2018, 17:14   #72
dries1

Isn't it nice when the consumer wins one and gets a good deal. If the asking price were a mistake, Monday there will be a very interesting conversation in the bean between the manager and accounting, entertaining to say the least.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 28th April 2018, 17:51   #73
black crow

Considering all the technical errors that seem to go into this business I'll bet nobody even gets a tap on the wrist. When I worked in retail it seemed nobody had to be accountable for anything. Especially management. lol
Old Sunday 29th April 2018, 00:35   #74
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Talking

Quote:
OK here's why I ordered the Swarovskis now instead of waiting. A friend told me that for some reason LLBean had them on their 25% off sale .... they charged me $1649.25 on my credit card. I'm still waiting for my tracking number but it looks like I just saved $549.75.
"Never Pay Retail" !!!

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 29th April 2018, 00:39   #75
black crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
"Never Pay Retail" !!!

Chosun
I would love to acknowledge and thank publically the BF member who tipped me off to this amazing savings but they choose to remain anonymous. I don't think they even bought anything for themselves.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: