Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Panasonic going full frame

Old Wednesday 26th September 2018, 16:15   #26
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by temmie View Post
What is the advantage going ff mirrorless for bird photography as long lenses seem to be either scarce or expensive (or both) for those camera's from Panasonic, Sony, Olympus and pentax? + you have less reach with FF?
A circa ~50MP FF is pretty much the same resolution as current DX's. It's only processing power, heat dissipation, and cost that is required to equal a high speed Pro DX. The issues are technically solvable, and the processing power increases (and costs reduce) according to Moore's law. Plans are already on the propeller head's drawing boards for ~70MP and even100MP+ FF.

True that those new entrants to the FF mirrorless market don't have affordable native long lenses, but already a day after the official announcement, I have read of EF to L mount adapters from fourth party's.

Also true is that these new FF mirrorless offerings aren't drastically solving the weight issue - I think we will have to look to Diffractive Optics lenses or high $ for that ...... maybe both !

I think the big advantages will be in higher frame rates, silent operation eventually, ultimately better AF (with AI) and video, IBIS, and lower production cost.

For the moment though, this explosion of FF mirrorless offerings should be good for prosumer landscapers, travellers/ bloggers, videographers, and as general low light walkabout street cams, not to mention first adopters ! ...... importantly it also stops your existing (or potential) customers walking away to greener pastures .....

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 26th September 2018, 16:43   #27
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
For the moment though, this explosion of FF mirrorless offerings should be good for prosumer landscapers, travellers/ bloggers, videographers, and as general low light walkabout street cams
Early on in this thread (when everything was still speculation) I said something similar. The one part where I disagree: for a traveler, I think smaller sensor generally is better due to weight issues.

There is a lot of hype the last couple of years that I do not think is quite born out in reality: most of those who buys a new camera are not good enough with processing etc to really benefit from a FF camera anyway. But a company has to react to the costumer demand, even if that demand is somewhat driven by hype ...

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 26th September 2018, 18:09   #28
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by temmie View Post
What is the advantage going ff mirrorless for bird photography as long lenses seem to be either scarce or expensive (or both) for those camera's from Panasonic, Sony, Olympus and pentax? + you have less reach with FF?
If the next version of Sigma 800/5.6 is made for the L-mount and IQ and price level is similar to the 500/4 Sports, things might get interesting.
Imagine a 800mm/f5.6 on FF for half the price of Nikon/Canon equivalents but with similar image quality and no issues with camera compatibility. Or a 600/4 perhaps.
That might get some wild life shooters interested.
But that really sounds pretty far fetched...
Old Thursday 27th September 2018, 01:21   #29
njlarsen
Opus Editor

I have not seen this animal but I have seen a 300-800 zoom from sigma IRL. The lens took one backpack, and the camera another. Not my cup of tea!

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 3rd January 2019, 15:32   #30
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation Release of Panasonic FF Mirrorless 24MP 'S1' and '47' MP S1R ..... "Close"

It seems we will soon know how good these Panasonic FF Mirrorless debutants are .....
https://m.dpreview.com/interviews/65...n-the-industry

If ever there was a company that could take it up to Sony --- it is Panasonic (even if they may be using many Sony components ... lol :)

CaNikon had better watch their backs!

I have no doubt Panasonic will do an excellent job. The only question is how will their AF system compare with the beige EOS R, Z6/Z7, and indeed the leading DSLR models, and even the a9 ...... ???

I wonder if they also have a 60-75MP planned for release before the Olympics like the other two/ three ......

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 4th January 2019, 12:48   #31
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
It seems we will soon know how good these Panasonic FF Mirrorless debutants are .....
https://m.dpreview.com/interviews/65...n-the-industry

If ever there was a company that could take it up to Sony --- it is Panasonic (even if they may be using many Sony components ... lol :)

CaNikon had better watch their backs!

I have no doubt Panasonic will do an excellent job. The only question is how will their AF system compare with the beige EOS R, Z6/Z7, and indeed the leading DSLR models, and even the a9 ...... ???

I wonder if they also have a 60-75MP planned for release before the Olympics like the other two/ three ......

Chosun
I'm sure that current Lumix users might be excited, but the smaller form factor of the MFT system (lenses) is lost, so to me it's an marketing equation that's not simple.

Single point AF is already fast in Panasonic cams, probably faster than Nikon.
Until there are any longer lenses for action shooters, AF-C will be improved.
Having no PD-AF in video is a bigger problem, even though it has been improved and works pretty OK in the G9/GH5.
More AI and faster processors will make it even better I guess.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Friday 4th January 2019 at 12:53.
Old Monday 7th January 2019, 17:05   #32
Vespobuteo

Pana press conference from CES starting soon:

https://www.43rumors.com/you-can-fol...as-vegas-time/

Not much news, built in HDR mode (stored in a special format/file type) and also HighRes mode (8 shots).

Available at the end of March 2019.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Monday 7th January 2019 at 18:56.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: