• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornell Lab Review - Zeiss Did Very Well Here (1 Viewer)

We certainly agree on the importance of function in binoculars. And generally we will agree that some designs are more pleasing to the eye than others. Then I'm reminded of the Latin maxium, "De gustabus non est disputandum." Personal taste really can't be debated. Our designers attempt to bring together both form and function. Sometimes they succeed, and sometimes they don't.

My pique with them is that sometimes they sacrifice function for what appeals to them, what I call the snob appeal. An outstanding example of this is the Nikon LX 10x25. It has superb optics, but function? Try to focus it with your fore finger, the most ergonomically situated appendage we have. With the focus knob located on the end of the bridge, the little finger is more often used. Not convenient.

I have examined the HT very carefully. It is a superb instrument. Have the Terra, Conquest, and HT together and spend some time focusing them. I'll wager there is a subtle difference favoring the Terra and Conquest, and it isn't the cosmetics or optics. John

That designers sometimes come up with the most bizarre 'improvements' and the most hideous 'embellishments' is also something we can agree on.
The little Conquest HD 8x32 I think is a stunningly good piece of kit and if I had the folding green stuff to spare I would get one in a heartbeat.

Lee

We certainly agree on the importance of function in binoculars. And generally we will agree that some designs are more pleasing to the eye than others. Then I'm reminded of the Latin maxium, "De gustabus non est disputandum." Personal taste really can't be debated. Our designers attempt to bring together both form and function. Sometimes they succeed, and sometimes they don't.

My pique with them is that sometimes they sacrifice function for what appeals to them, what I call the snob appeal. An outstanding example of this is the Nikon LX 10x25. It has superb optics, but function? Try to focus it with your fore finger, the most ergonomically situated appendage we have. With the focus knob located on the end of the bridge, the little finger is more often used. Not convenient.

I have examined the HT very carefully. It is a superb instrument. Have the Terra, Conquest, and HT together and spend some time focusing them. I'll wager there is a subtle difference favoring the Terra and Conquest, and it isn't the cosmetics or optics. John

John,

I don't think that the Nikon LX 10x25 is an apt example of snob appeal. It's about as utilitarian a piece of equipment as you will find. I'm sure Nikon had it's reasons for putting the focus knob on the far end of it's double-hinged frame. My guess is it is because they thought it was the best place to put it for practical reasons. I've never had problems focusing mine. I use my ring finger. The focuser is smooth as silk!

It's an alpha compact and it costs up to several hundreds of dollars less than Swarovski's, Leica's and Zeiss's do. That is why I bought one. It cost less.:t:

Bob

Last edited:
Bob - you are correct. My juxtaposing the Nikon LX and "snob" was not apt.
But the focus location is simply non-ergonomic. (using your ring finger to focus - I rest my case) nd We do agree on the superior optics of the LX 10x25. When I bought mine, I compared it what the what Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski were selling - no contest. I did what you did for the same reason. A superior piece of optics for a lot less money.

John

Ceasar and Perterra - if you haven't read Tom McHugh's "Time of the Buffalo" publishedf by Alfred A. Knopf, New York in 1972, I recommend it to you, Some consider it the most definitive book ever written about the American bison.

John

Ceasar and Perterra - if you haven't read Tom McHugh's "Time of the Buffalo" publishedf by Alfred A. Knopf, New York in 1972, I recommend it to you, Some consider it the most definitive book ever written about the American bison.

John

Noted and added to the list, thanks

John

John,

Years ago, in the 1970's I think; Sports Illustrated (of all publications!) wrote a wonderful piece on "The Passing Of The Wood Buffalo." It was about the herds of Eastern Wood Bison which roamed around Pennsylvania and New York and the East in the 1700s and early 1800s. The article was about the last herd in PA and how it raided the Hay the farmers had in the fields for their cattle during a hard winter.

Here is a news article about the Eastern Bison and it's history in the Eastern USA. Marshall Univ. in W.Va. calls it's sports teams "The Thundering Herd."

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/x221547391/Wood-bison-history-has-great-influence-on-area

They are trying to bring it back in parts of Canada.

Bob

John,

I don't think that the Nikon LX 10x25 is an apt example of snob appeal. It's about as utilitarian a piece of equipment as you will find. I'm sure Nikon had it's reasons for putting the focus knob on the far end of it's double-hinged frame. My guess is it is because they thought it was the best place to put it for practical reasons. I've never had problems focusing mine. I use my ring finger. The focuser is smooth as silk!

It's an alpha compact and it costs up to several hundreds of dollars less than Swarovski's, Leica's and Zeiss's do. That is why I bought one. It cost less.:t:

Bob

Why hasnt Nikon entered the Alpha market?

Imans,

Nikon has been in the "Alpha" market since before 2000 AD. The EDGs, HG/LXLs, SEs and EIIs are all "Alpha" binoculars.

And I forgot the Prostars.

Bob

I just saw this :-O We call it the dogs bollocks.

Hi PT

Actually thats what we call it too.

When Mark (Kammerdiner) introduced me to it I told him we didn't know anything about the cats pyjamas but we have cat whiskers, bee's knees and dogs bollocks :eek!:

Lee

John

For lovers of Alpha books ... this one : The American Bison, Living and Extinct, Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, MCZ, Vol.IV. No.10, 1876.

That designers sometimes come up with the most bizarre 'improvements' and the most hideous 'embellishments' is also something we can agree on.
The little Conquest HD 8x32 I think is a stunningly good piece of kit and if I had the folding green stuff to spare I would get one in a heartbeat.

Lee

Com'on Lee join the club you owe it to yourself,it it Christmas after all.Happy Christmas...EddyB :)

Com'on Lee join the club you owe it to yourself,it it Christmas after all.Happy Christmas...EddyB :)

I agree, the Conquest line is a smoking good instrument

Gentlemen

Please stop it :-O.

Regretably a new roof and, in a month's time, a new heating boiler, has tied up what green folding stuff was floating around.

However we already have three holidays in the Scottish Islands booked for next year so the FL and HT will get plenty of use.

Thanks for your encouragement anyway ;)

Lee

Gentlemen

Please stop it :-O.

Regretably a new roof and, in a month's time, a new heating boiler, has tied up what green folding stuff was floating around.

However we already have three holidays in the Scottish Islands booked for next year so the FL and HT will get plenty of use.

Thanks for your encouragement anyway ;)

Lee

Just trying to help the economy. ;)

Lee - Was it Kippling who wrote, "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun?"

John

LOL, yes it was John, but his mother was of Scots descent, a MacDonald and the MacDonalds hail from the Western Isles of Scotland, so Rudyards Ma would approve of our holiday destinations :t:

TroubaLee

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back