• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss (W. Germany) Serial numbers - just got 2ndhand Dialyt 8x30b bins! (1 Viewer)

Hi Renze,
I have looked at the europa.com site to try to determine the approximate age of my 8x30 BGA IF, # 1372xxx binoculars, but was unable to find the IF's. Could you possibly date them for me?
Thank you, John

MAK,

According to the one source available to us (http://home.europa.com/~telscope/zeissbn2.txt) the 6.5 deg. Zeiss Oberkochen 8x30B porro - which is the type we're talking about - was made from 1958 through 1968.
When you date the serial number 702969, which is only halfway the sn's assigned to this type, to 1969, does this mean you have information the years of production as mentioned are not correct, i.e. the 6.5 deg. type 8x30B was made for a longer time?

Renze

MAK,

According to the one source available to us (http://home.europa.com/~telscope/zeissbn2.txt) the 6.5 deg. Zeiss Oberkochen 8x30B porro - which is the type we're talking about - was made from 1958 through 1968.
When you date the serial number 702969, which is only halfway the sn's assigned to this type, to 1969, does this mean you have information the years of production as mentioned are not correct, i.e. the 6.5 deg. type 8x30B was made for a longer time?

Renze

The information available suggests that the unit in question was constructed in 1969. The serial number range could be for a 8x30 B Porro or a 8x30 Porro (and others listed). I can only comment on the year of construction when looking at the serial number sequences.
MAK

MAK,

Would you be so kind to supply me with the year of construction of these three Zeiss porro binoculars:

8x50 B #856267

8x30 B #798330

8x30 B #1357121

Many thanks in advance.

Renze

Hi,

There is no list available where Zeiss West binoculars' models and serial numbers are linked to years of production (and/or delivery dates). So I made one myself, by collecting data from all kinds of sources, mostly eBay. Took me some years, and while my dbase is not perfect (at one point I decided to slow down a bit of fear to end up in mental hospital) I'm able to predict things pretty accurately. Even more accurate than Zeiss itself, I'd say. What you need, next to sn's, are the years of production of models (and their updates) and certain landmarks, for instance changes in coating or special editions introduced in a specific year.
With respect to the Zeiss West 8x30B Dialyt, in general there are two types, differing in shape and size. The first is the long version, made from 1964 through 1969, the second is the short version, made from 1969 on. See the pictures attached. The short type was modified several times: T-coating, P-coating, black armour. There have been changes in nomenclature also, but these are of minor consequence.
Of great help in dating these early 8x30 Dialyts is a special edition issued in 1971 to commemmorate Zeiss' 125th anniversary. The serial numbers on these types are round about # 898391, so everything higher or lower is newer resp. older.

cheers,

Renze

Another old thread i know................:eek!:

Well, .....coming across this thread in a google search it looks like my pair of Zeiss 8X32B Dialyt "mintish" binos are even older than i thought. The serial number on my pair is # 671950 , so it's from the 1964-1969 "long" version of production,....and of the earlier part of that group probably. (1964 or 1965 maybe?m but not sure as i have never contacted Zeiss.) I bought them on ebay about mid 2009 and have not used them a lot. Somewhere around $400 as i recall with excellant hard leather case but needs a new case strap as the original has broken.

Besides the model's limitations you have noted, I found the weight of the Zeiss was so much more than i wanted to carry regularly. My Leitz 8X32 Trinovid (a "beater but still sharp and clear glass), and my Leitz 8X32B Trinovid were the ones i chose to carry most often when going for an 8X glass. And even then, THEY take back seat to the Leitz 6X24 Trinovid for actual "carry" on my person over extended time periods.

In a car or a short to medium walk most any heavier glass is OK, but i don't want to carry them around otherwise when they're a bit heavy. And for sure these old mid focal length binos ARE heavy! Built like a tank, IMO. ;)

Outwardly, the glass on my Dialyt is still amazingly clear and unmarked both internally and externally, but the rubber eyecups were stored in the "down" eyeglass position and are too stiff at this point to attempt to raise them. I usually lift my glasses anyway as i feel the image is clearer. The body and all the covering looks "new" as well! :t:

As far as the Zeiss 8X30B Dialyt performance goes,.....at age 57 now i could certainly use these more and live with the obvious limitations within the era of production. Truth be told i don't believe i own ANY bino with phase correction or multi coating, and in most cases i havn't missed them.

But ease of carry IS important for me, for what good are the finest modern optics if you have to labor to carry them with you, and therefore less likely to have them along on a non-planned for trip outdoors?

I ride a bicycle evey day to stay in shape,....and my pocketable Leitz 6X24 Trinovids are always available. Sadely, there is NOTHING made today coming close to their weight/size/performance of them.

Oh,.....the original carry strap is still fairly soft and usable, but i'd like to replace it just to be sure it's not on it's last leg. (it has the several length adjustment slots that also weaken the thin leather strap)

If anyone knows a source for a 3/8" leather strap for the binocular itself that's priced reasonably I would appreciate it. (any brand as these aren't maked Zeiss anyway, so i don't need German cowhide!)

Additionally, the original Zeiss hard leather case is in very nice condition, "except" for the case strap which HAS broken in one spot. That's the reason i really don't trust the wearing strap on these binoculars. I've found thinner leather tends to dry out and deteriorate faster than heavier and wider leather such as used on cases.

Anyway,...if someone has ordered leather (or perhaps soft synthetic) straps that are well made please pass it along.

Thought I'd give you an update and some 'after' pictures, now that the correct-sized eyecups have finally arrived from Zeiss! ...........

Just curious what the Zeiss 8X30 Dialyt eyecups ran you back then,....as i might consider ordering a pair if $50.00 or less?

Last edited:
Zeiss 8X30B Dialyt vrs Leitz 8X32B Trinovid

I thought i would add to my previous post, reflecting my comments on what seems to me a very heavy weight of the early Zeiss 8X30B Dialyt, compared to the much more comfortable to carry Leitz 8X32B Trinovid. I don't currently have an accurate scale to weigh them all, but there is no question the Zeiss is build like a tank,..........and FEELS like it!

That's not always a bad thing either, as extra weight can help steady the hold when viewing. But lugging it around can be a real chore, so i'm less likely to have it on me when i might want it. "Carry" it in my car where just a short walk will get me where I want to be, and I might actually appreciate the steadying weight advantage. Otherwise,....not so much.

The attached thumbnails tell the story better than my description could hope to.

The 1st thumbnail shows my Leitz 8X32B (left) with the eyepiece in the folded down eyeglass position, to be a more accurate reflection of their relative sizes. The Zeiss 8X30B Dialyt rubber eyepieces are pretty stiff and need replacement, so i leave it down where it pretty much took a "set" over the years. Hard to believe they both spec 8X power, but that the much smaller Trinovid on the left actually has a slightly wider exit pupil and i believe FOV.

I think it's quite obvious in this photo where a LOT of the extra weight comes from on the Zeiss Dialyt. That center section connecting the tube sections is simply MASSIVE on the Zeiss! The Leitz Trinovid,...as they are well known for, is slim and trim in all the right places and feels really comfortable in hand.

In the 2nd thumbnail i pulled the rubber eyepieces up on the Trinovids as that is usually how i prefer to use them. (the Dialyt eyepieces are too dry to open) Although i wear eyeglasses, i prefer to flip them up or remove them to get a clearer viewing image. This also prevents side light from reaching the sides of the eyepiece area and degrading the image, as well as giving me a comfortable and solid support to maintain my eye distance to the binocular.

An interesting detail in the 3rd thumbnail is the relative diameters of the objective tubes. Although both have an 8X magnification, the Leitz 8X32B Trinovid (left) actually has a noticably SMALLER objective tube than the Zeiss 8X30B Dialyt. It would make more sense for the reverse to be true! I think this thumbnail shows that pretty well.

I thought i would have a little fun in the 4th thumbnail by including my favorite and most often carried binocular,...the Leitz 6X24 Trinovid positioned on the far right. The Zeiss 8X30B Dialyt is center and the Leitz 8X32B Trinovid to the left. I also included a cloth ruler to get a scale to the picture.

....and finally in the 5th thumbnail, comparing the weighty Zeiss 8X30B Dialyt to the diminuative but loaded with practicality and compact stats performance, the Leitz 6X24 Trinovid.

As is often mentioned in other areas,....size DOES matter! :king:

Attachments

• Leitz Zeiss Comparison 002.jpgsmall.jpg
    Leitz Zeiss Comparison 002.jpgsmall.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Leitz Zeiss Comparison 004.jpgsmall.jpg
    Leitz Zeiss Comparison 004.jpgsmall.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 119
  • Leitz Zeiss Comparison 006.jpgsmall.jpg
    Leitz Zeiss Comparison 006.jpgsmall.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Leitz Zeiss Comparison 010.jpgsmall.jpgsmall.jpg
    Leitz Zeiss Comparison 010.jpgsmall.jpgsmall.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Leitz Zeiss Comparison 011.jpgsmall.jpg
    Leitz Zeiss Comparison 011.jpgsmall.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Joe

What a lovely set of elegant bins you have there. My wife still treasures her Leitz 8x40 B Trinnies bought in the 1970's. The Leitz and Zeiss roofs from this era are all lovely instruments despite their technical short-comings.

When the Dialyt 8x30 B moved from the 'long tube' to the 'short tube' they lost 100 grams ending up at 550 grams. Perhaps one of these later ones would suit you.

Lee

Thanks,....i guess i'm getting sentimental in my old age (57 now), because i'd rather be using a glass that's in my age group than most anything high end made today.

Also,....the thought of scratching up or dropping a $2000 or more binocular is a worry i never get! ;)

The 100 gram weight savings of the short tube 8X30B Dialyt would certainly help. Maybe someday i'll come across a nice pair at a decent price and give it another try.

Last edited:
Today I recieved a very quick response from Zeiss (i contacted them yesterday), asking if new eyecups, bino strap, and case strap were still available for my (old) Zeiss 8X30B Dialyt binoculars,.....and what would the parts cost?

Keep in mind these are the long version of this model, and were made from 1964-1969. My early serial No. 671950 puts the date of production probably in the early part of that run,......possibly 1964 or 1965.

So these Dialyt's are around FORTY-EIGHT years old, and long past any expectations of recieving warrantee service or parts. I also bought these used around 1999, and made it clear i was not the original owner.

Well, imagine my surprise when i recieved the very kind and gererous offer from Jonas Burkes at Zeiss(below)! This is a class act folks! :t:

In today's world where typical warrantee's are loaded with "outs" and "exceptions",......i find it refreshing to see an old school company making exceptions to GET YOU warrantee parts and service! This where obviouly none could be reasonably expected.

I was always put off by companies with generally recognized top quality products, negating any remaining warrantee coverage just because the product was sold to someone else!

It always seemed to me that the original owner had paid extra for the warrantee, (built in cost on a new sale), and that if the company had faith in their products it shouldn't matter in the least who actually had current ownership!

Somehow the product then loses perceived value to any subsequent owner, which can't help but lower the secondary trade valuation paid to the original owner. In my opinion, fully transferable warrantees are the ultimate show of confidence in a manufacturer's product! Additional "good will" extension of said warrantee,....beyond any reasonable standard of extended time periods,......is without question worthy to relay to other potential customers.

In my case, the eyecups were my main concern, as i knew they would be tough or impossible to find anywhere else. This binocular takes the most common strap type, as does the hard leather case,......so i wasn't as concerned with eventually being able to getting workable straps.

I hadn't asked about either a pouch or a rainguard either, but they're sending a rainguard anyway with the bino strap and new eyecups.

The "pouch" i didn't need anyway, as my hard leather case for this model is in very near new condition. (save for the carry strap which had broken and i can replace elsewhere)

Anyway,.....Zeiss is for sure a company i would consider 1ST, if and when i decide to upgrade my "oldie but goodie". Goodwill means a lot,....yet it's rarely practiced anymore.

I already covered how it seems to me these old Dialyts are built like a Tank!,.....so the only problem i see with the Zeiss line is that they're made SO good,......they will outlast ME! :C :-O :-O :-O

"Zeiss is Nice".......we've all heard it. Now I have seen it in a different way,..........i feel like a :king:

cheers,
Joe T

Dear Mr T*********

Thank you for your inquiry to ZEISS.

I will gladly send you a neck strap, eyecups, and rainguard. We no longer offer the pouch because there are none left. I hope this helps you out.

Hoping to be of service to you we kindly ask you to contact us again should you need further assistance.

Sincerely,
Jonas Burkes

Last edited:
Joe:

That is excellent service, it is good you reported it.

The pics of your classic binoculars are "eye candy".

Jerry

Regarding Zeiss service. A year or so ago and again over this past weekend I have emailed Zeiss to find the year of manufacture of two pairs of bins I had bought second hand. In both cases they have replied to my emails within a few hours with the info. For interest the bins concerned were 10x40B T*P and 7x42 T*P Dialyts, the latter being fantastic.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back