• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did I miss? Terra ED??? (1 Viewer)

Eitan, don't write off BF. Bertrand Russell said, "...science is what we know, and philosophy is what we don't know". Those 278 (! actually, that's pretty incredible) posts are expressions of the philosophical side of the mind. Then you come along with your review. The reaction was: "So that settles it. You've spoilt our fun, but well done, thanks!"

Give it time Eitan!

Nobody who has bought one so far has written to disagree with you!;)

Most places don't have them in stock yet.

Bob

Last edited:
I guess we are all philosophers at heart here!

I'm just poking fun, although TBH it did surprise me that my actual hands on review didn't generate a single response in this thread.

Pomp - I doubt my words have settled anything. Another proverb which holds true at BF is, "opinions are like a$$&@/es, everyone's got one." Can't ever remember if that was also Russell or was it Descartes?

I guess we are all philosophers at heart here!

I'm just poking fun, although TBH it did surprise me that my actual hands on review didn't generate a single response in this thread.

We were all too busy reading your post, and objective reality must have killed the speculations here.

Pomp - I doubt my words have settled anything. Another proverb which holds true at BF is, "opinions are like a$$&@/es, everyone's got one." Can't ever remember if that was also Russell or was it Descartes?

Don't think it was either, although Descartes did say "I'm pink therefore I'm spam". Allegedly.

Warning!

Here are the specs and some info on the Terra ED, I looked st them at the Shot Show very good for a low priced binocular.
http://sportsoptics.zeiss.com/content/dam/SportsOptics/usa/pdf/TERRAED_Flyer_HR_BirdingSm.pdf

Using the above link, or going directly to the Zeiss USA website and opening the Terra ED flyer may cause your computer to freeze. After unfreezing your PC may still suffer from impaired functionality for a time.

Zeiss USA have been informed.

Lee

With all the speculation, and factual sorting that has taken place on this wonderful, entertaining thread, nowhere have I seen it revealed, exactly what the prism coatings are?

We know that the lens coatings are not T*, but rather some "junior burger" version, which will suffer a bit in the contrast department compared to the Victory's - but are the prism coatings Sliver, Al, dielectric or what? Are they the full blown, you-beaut (Conquest HD dielectric type), or something much lesser "mini-me" again ??

The Zeiss websites I've looked at, don't even show the Terra ED, let alone clarify any important info like that. It looks like Zeiss's descent into Nikon-style, lumbering confusion, is just about complete.

Now that Nikon has announced the new lightweight, dielectric+ED Monarch 5 for $300, the risks of playing at this end of town with the "flagship name" are coming to roost.

The Zeiss folks will probably hate this, but it looks like Brock's "Volksbin" coined term is looking more apt. I can't even recall the last time alpha car brand Porsche trumpeted their "Volksness" ....... more like the hush, hush that surrounds that dodgy relative that nobody likes to acknowledge, seen at rare family gatherings .......

The Terra ED concept is a welcome addition for the consumer, but it seems that the tide is already on its way out, and it risks becoming a fish out of water, even before it hits the market en masse. Some here semi-mockingly dismissed this harsh market reality at this hyper-competitive segment as 'slighted snobbery' ..... others just saw it as writing on the wall ;)

Chosun :gh:

Three lines -- Terra, Conquest, and Victory -- is *hardly* comparable to the Nikon morass of model confusion.

Frankly, I don't care what the marketing specs are (type of coating, type of glass), I care about the performance of the product. And it is a really nice binocular.

I think it's going to kill it at the price point. Because outside of this forum nobody even knows what a dielectric prism is. They are going to see that for the price of their Monarch, or yet another Chinese clone from a company with a weird name, they could instead get a bona fide ZEISS binocular. There are so many people wading in the $300-400 budget bin market, this product is going to hold a lot of appeal.

I'm just not sure I understand your post. (Maybe it's because you only used two measly emoticons? :p) . What exactly has changed in the last month or two that suddenly the Terra ED is preemptively a flop?

With all the speculation, and factual sorting that has taken place on this wonderful, entertaining thread, nowhere have I seen it revealed, exactly what the prism coatings are?

We know that the lens coatings are not T*, but rather some "junior burger" version, which will suffer a bit in the contrast department compared to the Victory's - but are the prism coatings Sliver, Al, dielectric or what? Are they the full blown, you-beaut (Conquest HD dielectric type), or something much lesser "mini-me" again ??

The Zeiss websites I've looked at, don't even show the Terra ED, let alone clarify any important info like that. It looks like Zeiss's descent into Nikon-style, lumbering confusion, is just about complete.

Now that Nikon has announced the new lightweight, dielectric+ED Monarch 5 for $300, the risks of playing at this end of town with the "flagship name" are coming to roost.

The Zeiss folks will probably hate this, but it looks like Brock's "Volksbin" coined term is looking more apt. I can't even recall the last time alpha car brand Porsche trumpeted their "Volksness" ....... more like the hush, hush that surrounds that dodgy relative that nobody likes to acknowledge, seen at rare family gatherings .......

The Terra ED concept is a welcome addition for the consumer, but it seems that the tide is already on its way out, and it risks becoming a fish out of water, even before it hits the market en masse. Some here semi-mockingly dismissed this harsh market reality at this hyper-competitive segment as 'slighted snobbery' ..... others just saw it as writing on the wall ;)

Chosun :gh:

Funny - why not wait for them to........like........actually go on sale?

I hope that doesn't turn into another Zeiss HT issue.

You mean with announcements of release dates followed by announcements of delays?

If that happens again, Zeiss should put up another time clock on its Website, showing how many days/hours late it becomes like it did for the HT. ;)

With all the deep-pocketed birders on these forums, I can't imagine too many others being concerned about the release date of the Terra ED, other than me and you and a dog named Boo.

But if Zeiss promotes them properly and distributes them to non-traditional markets for Zeiss such as Dick's Sporting Goods, Sportsman's Warehouse, and yes, even Walmart, I can see these giving Nikon Monarchs and Bushnell Legends a run for the money.

I wonder if they will come in a blister pack? ;)

<B>

Last edited:
I just spent a week in the bush, in Northern Ontario, doing breeding bird / wildlife survey work and took the Terra as my ''beater.''

So far, it has been an excellent field glass - small and light enough to sling all day, slick and fast focus perfect for bugs and close-in stuff and sharp and bright in the centrefield. Just bothered a bit by CA but it makes up for it with very good, contrasty views in harsh light and great detail in shadow.

Tough too, as it endured its fair share of DEET immersion, sunblock, dust, pollen and other detritus - as well as surviving a tumble across the back seat when we swerved around a hole in the road. The bin has a very satisfying feel in the hand, solid and grippy with nice quality rubber - to me very much like the new Conquest.

The Terra is no world-beater but it is a competent mid-level performer and should serve me well for years as a bush-whacker special.

You mean with announcements of release dates followed by announcements of delays?

If that happens again, Zeiss should put up another time clock on its Website, showing how many days/hours late it becomes like it did for the HT. ;)

With all the deep-pocketed birders on these forums, I can't imagine too many others being concerned about the release date of the Terra ED, other than me and you and a dog named Boo.

But if Zeiss promotes them properly and distributes them to non-traditional markets for Zeiss such as Dick's Sporting Goods, Sportsman's Warehouse, and yes, even Walmart, I can see these giving Nikon Monarchs and Bushnell Legends a run for the money.

I wonder if they will come in a blister pack? ;)

<B>

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2774701&postcount=142

The blister pack to end all blister packs!:t:;)

A proper case would be better.

I am thinking, |^| this case will be a short lived experiment for Zeiss.

I do not like being nicked $10. for a case after I have purchased a
binocular.

Zeiss, spend some effort in making the binocular better, packaging
is just throwaway. A case will follow for the optic.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back