• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (6 Viewers)

We have to do something, that lout is within metres of where Bitterns have been seen. Can anyone with better knowledge of laws etc help ?

If I remember correctly, I don't think trespass is actually a criminal offence, so the police wouldn't prosecute anyone - I suspect the DWT would have to find out who these people are and take up all the legal proceedings. Suing kids is probably not something they'd want to get into...

On a brighter note, an extra Great Crested Grebe has arrived on No.2 this morning - so the resident bird no longer appears so lonely.

And there were a couple of new (I think) waders...that my current skills couldn't identify. One was roughly redshank sized but had very reddish-brown head, nape and part of the back, with black and white patterns under the belly. The other seemed to be sticking very close to this one but was noticably smaller and very pale - grey on the top, white underneath...possibly pale green legs and a shorter bill. I got a couple of crappy shots, but can't upload from work. Any ideas?

Very irritating Kelvin - I've been lucky the last few evenings, alls been quiet...

Local Police have barrier keys & will attend - I should imagine disturbance of Schedule 1 breeding species should be taken into account....

DWT want to get their fingers out & keep the entry barriers open on Summer evenings - get some genuine visitors on the reserve, at present the message is ''visitors please go home & scum come on down'.

All we can do is try to make as much of a presence as possible, ring any anti-social behaviour in to Northumbria Police at Washington, & make sure you feed back any incidents here or direct to DWT.

Maybe Ruff Kelvin ?

Aye, 2 Ruff m8.
The Ginger & black coloured one is a male, a good way into his breeding plumage.
Also Common Sand & Lrp

Last edited:
Ruff was my first thought, but I can't find any images online that look like what I saw... I'm hoping Gary is back to work today so that I can show him the pics. Assuming he hasn't been eaten by brown bears!

As for leaving the gates open, you know that'll attract all sorts of wrongness - Rainton Meadows will become dogging central! Or it'll become a meeting place for suped-up Saxos, or whatever the boy racers prefer these days. Sadly, I fear there isn't an easy solution.

Ah, excellent, good to get proper confirmation! Thanks for that, Steve.

Glad to hear the LRP is still around, couldn't find any last night or this morning.

Nice find with the Ruff Kelvin.

RUFF pic

That makes 18 wader species on pool 2 this year & @ 131 species on the reserve year list.

Called at recently underwatched Houghton Gate pool, an Egyptian Goose was the first bird visible, it flew off south, circled & returned.... On Pool 2 tomorrow morning I reckon....
Also 2 pr of Yellow Wagtail.

Mick called in to HoGate this evening, to add another male Ruff, seemingly different to the RM bird.

Last edited:
Nightingale still at Cowpen Bewley today.

RSPB Saltholme - am - Phil Stead Hide - Wood Sandpiper, Greenshank, Redshank x2, Little Egret x2, Common Tern, Swift x2.

Saltholme Hide - Little Ringed Plover, Little Egret x4. Yellow Wagtail c.12.

Attachments

• IMG_6544a.jpg
    IMG_6544a.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6570a.jpg
    IMG_6570a.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6791a.jpg
    IMG_6791a.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6857a.jpg
    IMG_6857a.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6899a.jpg
    IMG_6899a.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 70
Nice find with the Ruff Kelvin.

RUFF pic

That makes 18 wader species on pool 2 this year & @ 131 species on the reserve year list.

Cheers, I'd have felt better if I'd been able to identify it myself... I always struggle with waders. Must get a scope to get a proper look at them, not sure how I'll manage that on my bike though! ;)

Here's my awful shot of the Ruff from this morning:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckivitt/5708346204/in/photostream

And a quick check this evening revealed no scrote action (woo!), Canada Goslings, Little Ringed Plover, the Great Crested Grebes doing a bit of displaying, and a bit more wader confusion from me...
Is this paler bird that was hanging around with a Redshank the female Ruff from earlier, or something entirely different? (again, more terrible pics...)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckivitt/5707781705/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckivitt/5708348318/in/photostream/

Cheers, I'd have felt better if I'd been able to identify it myself... I always struggle with waders. Must get a scope to get a proper look at them, not sure how I'll manage that on my bike though! ;)

Here's my awful shot of the Ruff from this morning:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckivitt/5708346204/in/photostream

And a quick check this evening revealed no scrote action (woo!), Canada Goslings, Little Ringed Plover, the Great Crested Grebes doing a bit of displaying, and a bit more wader confusion from me...
Is this paler bird that was hanging around with a Redshank the female Ruff from earlier, or something entirely different? (again, more terrible pics...)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckivitt/5707781705/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckivitt/5708348318/in/photostream/

Yes those latter two pictures are of a female Ruff.

"StevieEvans" could you make some space in your private message inbox please.

Very irritating Kelvin - I've been lucky the last few evenings, alls been quiet...

Local Police have barrier keys & will attend - I should imagine disturbance of Schedule 1 breeding species should be taken into account....

Careful there Steve, you'll scratch your halo on those horns!

Attachments

• SE.jpg
    SE.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 58
Rainton Free for All

Went down to Rainton this afternoon for a look out see what was about. It was great to see the 2 Ruff had remained and were showing well. A Peregrine overhead was a nice surprise but not the hoped for hobby. No pleasing some people.;)

A walk around the general area produced no surprises but nice to hear Grasshopper Warbler reeling, Blackcaps in full song, and a single Garden Warbler was nice. Surprised I haven't heard many Garden Warblers these days of late, getting out of my bed on a morning might help ofcourse:-O

Attached a picture of the male Ruff.

Video of the 2 birds together. Best views in HD and full screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4j9RYbWWRo

Cheers,

Attachments

• RuffMaleRaintonMay2011.jpg
    RuffMaleRaintonMay2011.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Careful there Steve, you'll scratch your halo on those horns!

Witty. Like it.
next time wear a camera so i can recognise ya ;)

( & i'll carry my ladder so you know its me )

----------------------------------------------------------------

Another addition to the Rainton yearlist, with a visit from a prospecting Common Tern.

Nothing new on the wader front, but both Ruff remain, as does one of the Jack Snipe.
A couple of Common Snipe are just as difficult a species to come by as May progresses. Two pair of Lrp, with an intuding pair of Redshank chased off by the territorial male.
Another highlight being the GCGrebes, building & displaying - no sign of yesterdays 'weed dance', a very rare bird in this part of the county, but hopefully they'll manage this time, especially as Lyons Pk birds have deserted after bank holiday disturbance.

Highs & Lows for the warblers, with 5 singing Lesser Whites today, a fresh tot up of the Garden Warblers reveals an impressive 19-20 singing males in the "RM's recording area", Lots of Sedgies & Whitethroats, Reed Warbler males in double figures, but Blackcap & Willow Warbler down, especially the latter.
Cuckoo only noted on half a dozen or so dates.
2 more pairs of Long tailed Tit carrying food. Corvids & Heron taking a visible toll on eggs & chicks.
Quite a breeze picked up & the sky held good nos of Swifts & Hirundines, raptors dotted about included single Peregrine, 4 Kestrel & 3 Sparrowhawk.

Last edited:
Went down to Rainton this afternoon for a look out see what was about. It was great to see the 2 Ruff had remained and were showing well. A Peregrine overhead was a nice surprise but not the hoped for hobby. No pleasing some people.;)

A walk around the general area produced no surprises but nice to hear Grasshopper Warbler reeling, Blackcaps in full song, and a single Garden Warbler was nice. Surprised I haven't heard many Garden Warblers these days of late, getting out of my bed on a morning might help ofcourse:-O

Attached a picture of the male Ruff.

Video of the 2 birds together. Best views in HD and full screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4j9RYbWWRo

Cheers,

There are more Garden Warblers in the area this year than any of the local patchers have ever known.

Now that the GNForest plantations have begun to mature (16 y/old) there are new territories here also.

Once you have your 'ear in' & develop of grasp of their habitat preference, then you'll be able to anticipate where you are likely to find them -
Suppose thats lost somewhat on the new generation of "turn up & look through someones scope birders". ;-)

not rude, plain speaking.

follow that advice & you'll see the birds that all the other visitors see. :t:

The DWT trust members who attended our dawn chorus event didnt have any problems grasping that concept.... & the positive feedback re-iterates that.

As for para-phrasing our conversation yesterday, well thats nothing to do with this forum, is it....

but considering you we trying to tell 3 men, 20, 30 & 40 years your elder how to suck eggs, ( & were particularly rude & sarcastic to the eldest ) i reckon you got off very lightly ;)

To end on a lighter note :-
.....<snip>.....
Some of us just want peace, to much to ask I guess.

You'll never know how many times we've all wished the same....
Why do you think you were christened "Foghorn..." !!!!3:)

You crack me up Andrew, see you at the Temmincks.

Last edited:
but considering you we trying to tell 3 men, 20, 30 & 40 years your elder how to suck eggs, ( & were particularly rude & sarcastic to the eldest ) i reckon you got off very lightly ;)

It is rude and not plain speaking. You weren't even there when I wandered the reserve. I walked nearly the entire reserve is silence and listened all the time hoping for Garden Warbler and Lesser Whitethroat. I heard 2 Garden Warbler and saw 1 along with the numerous Blackcap. It just so happens most had either moved on or were not singing.

I asked a simple plain question to you as to whether you had been checking Owl nests and you turned nasty. I never spoke sarcastic or nastily to Colin, Jimmy or yourself. I guess I am trying to teach old dogs new tricks, bird nesting (forms of it) stays with some people I guess. I won't ask the question again as I doubt I will get an answer. Its a sorry shame to see the Long-eared Owls getting constantly disturbed along with a host of other species just so you can count the number of eggs in a box.:-C

Yeah see you at the Temminck's. I keep checking Houghton Gate in the desperate hope, twice today and nothing but a dodgy Wagtail.

Its a sorry shame to see the Long-eared Owls getting constantly disturbed along with a host of other species just so you can count the number of eggs in a box.:-C

Thats quite an accusation to be bandying about on a public forum !

JUST WHO is constantly disturbing Long-eared Owls ?

Myself & my co-workers check our nest boxes in & around the DWT with the consent & goodwill of the DWT Director.

Checking boxes for occupation & the general housekeeping thereof is simply part & parcel of what we do as local conservationists, if you dont agree with that the thats tough.

Dont forget, we have been studying Long-eared Owls longer than you've been alive Andrew.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back