• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Merganser Juveniles? - Eastern Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

Gordon W

Shot this morning at sunrise in eastern Ontario, Canada. Spring migration has started. Can anyone tell if the three common mergansers swimming with the male are females or juveniles or some of both?

Attachments

• Common Mergansers At Sunrise_DSCN19929BF.jpg
    Common Mergansers At Sunrise_DSCN19929BF.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 75
I think Mergansers at this time of the year will be in either male or female plumage so the ones that look like females will be females.

Very striking picture, by the way.

Birds at left and (less obviously) 2nd from right, have pale lores and I'd think are 1st-winters. Bird at the right has solid brown head (apart from the chin) and is an adult female.

Birds at left and (less obviously) 2nd from right, have pale lores and I'd think are 1st-winters. Bird at the right has solid brown head (apart from the chin) and is an adult female.

It's actually possible that the bird on the left is a young male as it looks quite big and is very white on the breast i.e. adult plumage starting to appear. I think the two on the right are females (wouldn't like to age them).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back