• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (45 Viewers)

Orange Hen Harrier

Today at Burnham Overy (c2.45pm) we saw a ring tail hen harrier over towards gun hill. The first thing that struck me was the apricot coloured under-parts. I immediately thought monties they were so bright orange. But it appeared to show a broadish wing at the hand and 5 primary tips. It also appeared to show a streaked throat suggesting hen harrier.

This is probably just a very orange juvenile hen harrier or may possibly show characteristics of Northern Harrier ? Keep an eye out. It flew off towards holkham, and may be roosting at warham greens?

Last edited:
Apricot Harrier ?

This a'noon, too, I saw a ringtail Hen Harrier- but this was over Wells Woods.

Until I raised my bins, I thought it would be a Sparrowhawk, as it was apparently in display flight, flapping slowly, with exagerrated wing-beats. Despite its underparts being a tad peachy-coloured, as it were, I put most of this down to the strong sunlight at a low angle. It was not strikingly so.

A latish Migrant Hawker was the only other fruit of my searches.

The amount I've paid to His Lawdship over the last few weeks leads me to consider asking if I might move into the West Wing- although this might set a precedent.

Attachments

• apricot.jpg
    apricot.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 009psesm.jpg
    009psesm.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 85
Spectacular, Lucky Morning!

Well I achieved what I wanted this morning - I jammed in on 8 Waxwings at Holme and photographed them!

Arrived at Holme and parked by the toilet block opposite the village carpark at just before 9am and watched 8 Waxwings fly over our heads at 9.15am (Ray Roche and his wife and also HBO AW) and land in the tallest poplar tree behind the toilet block - they landed briefly and took off almost immediately giving me time to take a picture - BUT it was one of the most naff pictures I have ever taken!!! Basically I took rubbish shots as the last 3 waxwings were taking off! But I was so lucky to have seen them and so quickly. I only had a hour and a half before I had to leave! Beautiful sunny day today and I very much would have liked to carry on birding! Walked all round by the public footpath behind the caravan site, adjacent to the River Hun bridge to find more waxwings, but no luck. Good movement of birds noted this morning though including several large flocks of starlings going west. Walked across the village carpark and had spectacular views of 4 Bullfinches flying over my head in the sunshine. Also several greenfinches about and blackbirds.

A Goosander was re-located on the pools on the Saltings over the ridge next to the 5-bar gate, half way down the Firs Road at 10.30am. A birder earlier on had told me he had seen a goosander here.

Walked around the NWT Forestry area but no sign of any more bluetails or anything else exciting!

Ended up leaving at 11am which was really pushing things as I had to be on the ward at 12pm. The traffic was diabolical going back to King's Lynn and temporary traffic lights near to my house didn't help either!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Coloured drawing of a Green Woodpecker on my blog that I drew when I was 17 years old!

There's 28+ waxwings in the childrens' park off Southtown Road, Gt Yarmouth at the moment. Flying between there and the two bears hotel on Pasteur Rd.

Titchwell October 28th

Today's highlights

Twite - 26 on brackish marsh
Nuthatch - 1 by visitor centre
Treecreeper - 1 by visitor centre
Long tailed duck - 2 offshore
Velvet scoter - 3 offshore
Red necked grebe - 2 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 2 offshore
Whooper swan - 1 in/off
Bewick's swan - 2 south
Mandarin - eclipse drake on fresh marsh
Hen harrier - ringtail over reedbed

Paul

Orange Hen Harrier

Today at Burnham Overy (c2.45pm) we saw a ring tail hen harrier over towards gun hill. The first thing that struck me was the apricot coloured under-parts. I immediately thought monties they were so bright orange. But it appeared to show a broadish wing at the hand and 5 primary tips. It also appeared to show a streaked throat suggesting hen harrier.

This is probably just a very orange juvenile hen harrier or may possibly show characteristics of Northern Harrier ? Keep an eye out. It flew off towards holkham, and may be roosting at warham greens?

Stuart

The bird we had through Titchwell this morning sounds similar. The bird was very bright on the underparts but did have a lots of dark markings on the head making it look quite hooded. The bird was pretty close but went through west very quickly so I wasn't really able to get any other features.
Striking bird though.

Paul

Rough luck ....

A bit of 'fursey' logic in the title. ;)

Alison and I went to Holkham Pines and walked through to Burnham Overy Dunes. As we approached the west end of the pines we picked up a buzzard to the east of us at the northern edge of the freshmarsh. It proved to be a Rough-legged Buzzard that drifted over the pines, it then flew west and passed fairly close to us although obscured by the tree tops most of the time. We followed it to the start of the dunes and picked it up still moving west.

We went to the first dune and sat down hoping for more views. Two Rough-legs (maybe that should be 4) were in the air together for a time until one drifted off towards Burnham Overy and the second stayed over the dunes. Eventually it moved west over the freshmarsh and out of view. After a few minutes it came back over the pines and right over where we were sitting having our lunch. When the bird drifted out over the fresh marsh again we caried on our walk along the dunes then turned back. As we reached the east end of the dunes a flock of about 15 Waxwings flew south over us and then east along the pines. We caught a few glimpses of this or similar flocks until we found a perched bird just east of the crosstracks.

A Pink-footed Goose near the car park had a very prominent neck ring - looked like LC7 to me.

We also saw Peregrine and ringtail Hen Harrier.

Dave

Attachments

• Rough-legged Buzzard 101028 IMGP0773.jpg
    Rough-legged Buzzard 101028 IMGP0773.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Rough-legged Buzzard 101028 IMGP0805.jpg
    Rough-legged Buzzard 101028 IMGP0805.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 167
Stuart

The bird we had through Titchwell this morning sounds similar. The bird was very bright on the underparts but did have a lots of dark markings on the head making it look quite hooded. The bird was pretty close but went through west very quickly so I wasn't really able to get any other features.
Striking bird though.

Paul

Interesting. Two pro marsh hawk features. Lets hope that one of Norfolk's many long lens owners get a good photo of this bird - if just only to make sure of Id as a hen harrier.

Did I forget to tell about the new West Runton rarity ?

Unfortunately, neither Ian nor I have triumphed again.

No: it’s not amnesia, but Polynesia

The rundown pig farm now, seemingly, known for its original function as The Brickworks, has been temporarily transformed. An artistic installation has brought a bit of Maori culture- together with a poem that reminded me of one of the more ropey canards concerning Captain Pugwash- to this (once!) rarity hotspot.

Can we expect to take torches out in the pre-dawn gloom and grill Kiwis ? (Probably not all that tasty.) Could this be the source of the unexplained albatross sp in the county to the south ? Surely, not this far inland.

Despite talking to people carrying on the continued renovation of the buildings, no clear idea as to its ultimate purpose has been revealed. The work, it must be said, is being finished to a high standard; no cowboys, these.

Attachments

• 001sm.jpg
    001sm.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 013sm.jpg
    013sm.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 009psesm.jpg
    009psesm.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 126
And another transformation

My first visit to Titchwell since the reopening of the west bank left me speechless (well, almost!) with admiration for the marvellous vision and work. The LH photo shows how even a more mundane part of a place I’ve been going to for more decades than I’d like to think about has been so changed for the good.

The new pair of hides is due for completion in early December (according to sources close to the RSPB!) and the freshmarsh has been dredged/scraped/woteva- to enable even better viewing of the birds.

A slightly surprising Mandarin was, because of distance, not to feature as a photo segment. This was the only significant avian fruit of my journey.

I then peeled off and drove back east, homewards.

Attachments

• 033sm.jpg
    033sm.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 036sm.jpg
    036sm.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 039sm.jpg
    039sm.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 225
I'm sure there will be much better pictures of the Glossy Ibis, but here are my attempts in the poor weather this morning.

Apparently the bird showed down to about 25 yards early morning.

Attachments

• Glossy Ibis 2.jpg
    Glossy Ibis 2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Glossy Ibis.jpg
    Glossy Ibis.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 81
I'm sure there will be much better pictures of the Glossy Ibis, but here are my attempts in the poor weather this morning.

Apparently the bird showed down to about 25 yards early morning.

Great pics! Was it easy to locate?

I'm really enjoying this thread, it's one of 3 that I check regularly. I actually live in Milton Keynes, but try to get to Norfolk as often as possible.

The trip reports transport me back there briefly when I am stuck at work!

The Glossy Ibis was the only bird on the small pool, and I haven't seen anything else on that pool in both my visits, so yes, it is very easy to locate! On Tuesday, one man had seen it from his car as he drove past! It's just North of the A1101 and West of the Hundred Foot Drain.

Just as I left though, it flew into the adjoining field and was further back, but still easily visible.

Good luck if you go for it - smart bird.

Full House: with Delichate post Martins, but not late enough for Evensong

As I drove down Greenway to the car park at Stiffkey, I noticed a hirundine hawking over the north end, the trees, field and marsh near the car park.

It was a House Martin: a splendid portrait of which is attached. I checked it thoroughly, as a late bird such as this could well be a rare species.

Unfortunately, Norfolk will have to wait a few more days for its first Cave Swallow (I rather like using those 3 capitalled nouns in the same sentence!): huge numbers of which I've been told are migrating north and east in the US.

A walk along to west of the whirligig revealed a few more Blackbirds on the ground today, together with a similar, slight increase in numbers of Redwings and a Fieldfare.

I was informed of a Swallow seen today at Cley.

Attachments

• 002smsm.jpg
    002smsm.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 112
Titchwell October 29th

Today's highlights

Mandarin - eclipse drake on fresh marsh
Avocet - 11 on fresh marsh
Twite - 25 on brackish marsh
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Long tailed duck - 2 offshore
Hen harrier - ringtail over reedbed

Paul

My first visit to Titchwell since the reopening of the west bank left me speechless (well, almost!) with admiration for the marvellous vision and work. The LH photo shows how even a more mundane part of a place I’ve been going to for more decades than I’d like to think about has been so changed for the good.

The new pair of hides is due for completion in early December (according to sources close to the RSPB!) and the freshmarsh has been dredged/scraped/woteva- to enable even better viewing of the birds.

A slightly surprising Mandarin was, because of distance, not to feature as a photo segment. This was the only significant avian fruit of my journey.

I then peeled off and drove back east, homewards.

Agree. Looks very good. Just got back from a few days break in Norfolk. As ever good birds and some nice folk encountered.
This was my first visit to Titchwell since the path has opened. Nice to see plenty of seats as I have a non birding arthritic wife.
Wonder if any butterfly friendly plants are going to be planted along the sea wall?
Well done to all concerned.
Also picked up the latest Bird Report to add to my collection. Again well done to those involved in producing it so swiftly.

Hugh

I guess its one of the birds seen recently at Burnham Overy, but a smart juv Rough-legged Buzzard was between Wells beach road and Lady Annes's drive this afternoon. It drifted over the A149 and then circled fairly high towards (over?) Holkham park. Also 3-4 "hefty looking" Bullfinch in Wells woods and a few groups of Redwing...

Wonder if any butterfly friendly plants are going to be planted along the sea wall?
Hugh

Hi Hugh

The new seawalls have been lightly seeded with a grass mix of species that already occur on the reserve to help speed up the process of vegetation cover. Once the vegetation has thickened up, it will hold the bank together and reduce erosion from the tides, weather and people. Once the bank is vegetated the fenceline will the removed although we still don't want people climbing on the bank.
As the reserve is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), there are rules that we have to follow about introducing species that are not already present. The grass mix dosen't include any flowers for butterflies but I am sure that if there are any seeds still present in the topsoil or get brought in on the wind, then they will establish themselves in time.

For your interest, and others, this is the view over the new 'wet feature' on the fresh marsh from the southern section of Parrinder Hide. The bar in the middle is the scaffolding and will not be there when we open!!

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_2253.JPG
    IMG_2253.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Orange 'ring tail' Harrier

Has anyone else seen this bird over the burnham overy marshes/dunes area or elsewhere (I saw your posting Paul). Please keep an eye out, it looks very interesting.

thanks Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back