• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod/head advice (1 Viewer)

passerine

About to invest in my first scope/tripod combination. Pretty sure it will be the Opticron gs 665 ed angled. The more I read about tripod/head set-ups the more confused I become. As a complete novice I have found it relatively easy to settle on a decent scope - testing at Birdfair will decide if I settle on the Opticron. With scopes the rule of thumb seems to be the greater the cost the better the view - is it the same with tripods? The Velbon 631 EL came out top in the Birdwatching survey, yet the PH157Q head has attracted negative comments across various forums. Would I need to combine a more expensive head with the tripod? How does this kit compare with the new carbon Manfrotto View range? A lot of questions, but I would appreciate any advice that prevents a costly mistake. Don't envisage digiscoping in the near future - just want quality kit to enhance my birding experience.

Jim

Last edited:
passerine said:
About to invest in my first scope/tripod combination. Pretty sure it will be the Opticron gs 665 ed angled. The more I read about tripod/head set-ups the more confused I become. As a complete novice I have found it relatively easy to settle on a decent scope - testing at Birdfair will decide if I settle on the Opticron. With scopes the rule of thumb seems to be the greater the cost the better the view - is it the same with tripods? The Velbon 631 EL came out top in the Birdwatching survey, yet the PH157Q head has attracted negative comments across various forums. Would I need to combine a more expensive head with the tripod? How does this kit compare with the new carbon Manfrotto View range? A lot of questions, but I would appreciate any advice that prevents a costly mistake. Don't envisage digiscoping in the near future - just want quality kit to enhance my birding experience.

Jim

I have a carbon fibre Velbon Sherpa PRO-CF 630 tripod (which I think only differs from the 631 as the legs rotate to tighten as opposed to clip locks). I chose it in preference to the Manfrotto having examined them both. However, I chose the Manfrotto 701RC2 head in preference to any Velbon head. I am really very satisfied with this combination.

passerine said:

Jim

Hi Jim,

I've previously owned a Velbon, the In-Focus Delta variant, which at £40 if you buy the scope from them, is superb value & a decent tripod. I've now got a Manfrotto 190v which I have to say is superbly made & with the 700rc2 fluid head wonderful to use in the field, although it was £130. So if you're looking to invest in something to use for some considerable time, I would go with the Manfrotto. The Carbon Fibre versions do not save a massive amount in weight & are double the price. Best idea would be to compare at the Birdfair as Velbon & Manfrotto will be there, & ideally compare them with the scope you intend to buy.

Cheers,

John.

JohnnyH said:
Hi Jim,

I've previously owned a Velbon, the In-Focus Delta variant, which at £40 if you buy the scope from them, is superb value & a decent tripod. I've now got a Manfrotto 190v which I have to say is superbly made & with the 700rc2 fluid head wonderful to use in the field, although it was £130. So if you're looking to invest in something to use for some considerable time, I would go with the Manfrotto. The Carbon Fibre versions do not save a massive amount in weight & are double the price. Best idea would be to compare at the Birdfair as Velbon & Manfrotto will be there, & ideally compare them with the scope you intend to buy.

Cheers,

John.

Bought the 190v with the 700rc2 head at Birdfair - my first tripod. Seems fairly simple to my non - technical eyes. The real test will come when I manage to choose a scope and attatch it!
Jim

passerine said:
Bought the 190v with the 700rc2 head at Birdfair - my first tripod. Seems fairly simple to my non - technical eyes. The real test will come when I manage to choose a scope and attatch it!
Jim

Nice one Jim, good luck with the scope shopping!

Cheers,

John.

JohnnyH said:
Nice one Jim, good luck with the scope shopping!

Cheers,

John.
Chose the Nikon ED111 eventually - great scope that offers a fantastic image. The real bonus is the portability of this combo - I don't drive so weight is a real issue. I have no problem carrying this outfit. As for stability, it has served me well on the dozen or so occasions I have used it. The action is smooth on both vertical and horizontal panning. I understand digiscoping might require a little extra ballast - would be interested in hearing the views of anyone who is currently using this combination.
Happy birding
Jim

passerine said:
Chose the Nikon ED111 eventually - great scope that offers a fantastic image. The real bonus is the portability of this combo - I don't drive so weight is a real issue. I have no problem carrying this outfit. As for stability, it has served me well on the dozen or so occasions I have used it. The action is smooth on both vertical and horizontal panning. I understand digiscoping might require a little extra ballast - would be interested in hearing the views of anyone who is currently using this combination.
Happy birding
Jim

Good choice again Jim, I've got the ED50 & ED82, fantastic scopes. I don't digiscope so can't help you there I'm afraid.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back