• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (2 Viewers)

Maer Lake this afternoon, no sign of the reported Pectoral Sandpiper only single Wood Sandpiper, Curlew Sandpiper, Black-tailed Godwit and juvenile Mediterranean Gull plus 4 Dunlin.
Upper Tamar Lakes, birds included 3 Common Sandpiper, 2 Dunlin, 2 Kingfisher and 7 Great-crested Grebe.

Attachments

• IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 134
Anyone know if SsB are still on the wing anywhere in Cornwall?

Thanks.

I have not heard of any recent reports, but there are August records from the past. The biggest colony on the towans at Perranporth is usually over by now but check any coastal heath you are on and you may be lucky. I'm sure there are unrecorded colonies. May still be flying on the Cornwall Wildlife Trust, Breney Common Reserve.

Have been recorded into September (second brood) at Upton Towans and also Mount Pond and Pennans Pond, inland from Holywell.

I would appreciate any butterfly records - any spp., not just the rare ones.

John
Cornwall Butterfly Recorder

I have not heard of any recent reports, but there are August records from the past. The biggest colony on the towans at Perranporth is usually over by now but check any coastal heath you are on and you may be lucky. I'm sure there are unrecorded colonies. May still be flying on the Cornwall Wildlife Trust, Breney Common Reserve.

Have been recorded into September (second brood) at Upton Towans and also Mount Pond and Pennans Pond, inland from Holywell.

I would appreciate any butterfly records - any spp., not just the rare ones.

John
Cornwall Butterfly Recorder

John, I managed to see a male and female together at Penhale on the 2/8. They were in the gulley north of the cross where there is a concentration of flowers. Also a couple of Dark-green Fritts.

Thanks.

A visit to the Golden Lion Cut-off at Stithians Res. was very preductive with the following present;
Wood Sandpiper - 2
Greenshank - 1
Little Ringed Plover - 1
Ringed Plover - 2
Dunlin - 1
Green Sandpiper - 1
Common Sandpiper - 1
Grey Heron - 3
Green Woodpecker - 1
Lesser Black-backed Gull - 14
Black-headed Gull - 35
Coot - 7
Little Grebe - 4 (1 juvenile)
Mallard - 26
Moorhen - 16
Herring Gull - 310
Buzzard - 2
Chiffchaff - 1
Blackcap - 2
Garden Warbler - 1
Teal - 2
and 1 Red Fox. A Weasel was also seen running across the road.

Birds everywhere !!

Was at St Ives island looking at 2 Wheatear under the NCI lookout while large numbers of Sandwitch Terns were heading towards Pendeen along with Black Terns (never seen one before) and some Fulmars.

Complete lack of fish in the bay this summer has meant most birds are passing offshore - today there was some bait around which the Terns were after.

Seals are visiting the harbour but only to be fed by humans - they don't seem to fancy the Grey Mullet that have been abundant this year.

Had a report of a possible Yelkouan Shearwater off Bass Point, the Lizard yesterday morning. Also a few Balearics, 1 Manxie and 1 Great Skua. 1 Swift between Treverva and Gweek.

Hayle Estuary Dog Control Order

Can I draw people's attention to the current header at Cornwall Birding where they are asking for support for the proposed Hayle Estuary Dog Control Order. It only takes a couple of minutes to send an e-mail and it could make a huge difference.

Adam

Can I draw people's attention to the current header at Cornwall Birding where they are asking for support for the proposed Hayle Estuary Dog Control Order. It only takes a couple of minutes to send an e-mail and it could make a huge difference.

Adam

Thanks Adam, you beat me to it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just take a few moments to send an e-mail in support of the dog order. It will mean a lot less disturbance to the birds on the estuary!!

Fieldfare

13+ flock of fieldfare = now; ratified; roosting; Helston.
3 birders confirm, and birds here several weeks. Photos/films available.
NO HOAX/ NO ERROR, AUTHORITIES UNRESPONSIVE. Sighting needs confirmation. Exact coordinates available. +much more.
Mark 01326 561741 (TR13 0RU). Trevarno.
PS. Tried to move the earth to date, and utterly fed up with lack of reaction!

Before I start this thread, does anyone know if its being done already?

13+ flock of fieldfare = now; ratified; roosting; Helston.
3 birders confirm, and birds here several weeks. Photos/films available.
NO HOAX/ NO ERROR, AUTHORITIES UNRESPONSIVE. Sighting needs confirmation. Exact coordinates available. +much more.
Mark 01326 561741 (TR13 0RU). Trevarno.
PS. Tried to move the earth to date, and utterly fed up with lack of reaction!

Hi nestbox,
Any chance of posting the photos on this thread? Failing that you could send them to the links below.
It is a very early date for Fieldfare, but Lapland Buntings have also been arriving far earlier than usual this year, so anything is possible.
Dave

Three Lapland Buntings at Davidstow Airfield this morning in a mixed flock of Linnet, Sky Larks and Meadow Pipits.

Video of the Laplands can be found here and here

Attachments

• LapBunt1.jpg
    LapBunt1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
This morning at Davidstow Airfield, 2 Dotterel were present near the Control Tower, also noted were 6 Ringed Plover, 3 Dunlin, 120 Linnet and up to 200 Meadow Pipits.

Video of one of the birds can be seen here.

Attachments

• H1010131.JPG
    H1010131.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 206
  • H1010134.JPG
    H1010134.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
This afternoon at Siblyback Reservoir the Black-necked Grebe was still present. Also present were 147 Canada Goose, 4 Barnacle Goose, 33 Little Grebe, 210 Lesser Black-backed Gull, 1 adult Yellow-legged Gull, 14 Teal, 10 Dunlin, 6 Ringed Plover, 1 Shoveler, 6 Wheatear and 30 alba Wagtails.

Last edited:
The 2 Dotterels were still present today near the Control Tower at Davidstow Airfield

New video can be seen here

Attachments

• H1020024.JPG
    H1020024.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back