• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gamekeeper illegally caged birds (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

I'm awaiting a response from Lindsey Waddell of the National Gamekeepers Association to explain how this came to pass.....

Wasn't really a fine - cover RSPCA costs - with 180 hours community service. How much are these birds worth - presumably sold to someone somewhere.

As per other threads - does having a criminal record mean he loses his gun licence? Particularly when related to a wildlife crime. If not why not?

Be interested to know that. Think, although not absolutely certain, that keeping the licence depends on the crime in question. I'm thinking along the lines of if the crime in question is at all related to mental capacity. You'd get a criminal record for plenty of things, for example motoring offences that are just plain breaking the law! If some form of mental illness such as depression was stated as the reason why the crime was committed, that would probably mean mental instability to a judge or magistrate. Mental instability and guns do not mix in the eyes of the law. Being an a**h***, such as this gamekeeper, I wouldn't say be just cause for him to lose his licence, but unless he has some kind of mental disorder that means he's not responsible for his own actions, then it shouldn't be yanked off him pronto.

Last edited:
It is an offence under section 21 of the Firearms Act of 1968 as amended, for anyone convicted of a criminal offence, to handle, possess, or shoot a firearm and ammunition (this includes Air Guns). If the sentence was for more than three years the prohibition is for life; if less than three years the prohibition is for 5 years.

I'm not sure if he has been convicted of a 'criminal' offence?

One for his local Firearms Officer

D

Think it is down to whether or not it was a civil prosecution. Benefit fraud is sometimes, from what I gather, are civil cases, unless the amount is huge. A friend (nope not me, a proper friend got done for working and claiming back in the 90s, and assumed she had a criminal record because she'd been to court and ordered to pay back the money she'd fiddled, plus costs. A few years ago we found out that it was a 'civil case' and not a police thing, therefore it wasn't a criminal case, and she never had a criminal record. So it depends on this bloke, if the police were involved, and he was duly prosecuted then I would assume, yes, he has been convicted of a criminal offence.

Would the firearms officer automatically be told - suppose this chap would be getting a letter from that department pretty soon.

I don't know where the Firearms Officer gets his information from except....

Anyone joining our Rifle Club has to sign a declaration that they are not banned under Section 21 before being admitted as a Probationary Member (minimum 3 months). If they wish to become a full Member after this, their details are sent to the Firearms Officer for approval.

Of course a Gamekeeper would have regular visits from his F.O for renewal of his certificate(s)... his background would be checked at this time I presume.

D

Be interested to know that. Think, although not absolutely certain, that keeping the licence depends on the crime in question. I'm thinking along the lines of if the crime in question is at all related to mental capacity. You'd get a criminal record for plenty of things, for example motoring offences that are just plain breaking the law! If some form of mental illness such as depression was stated as the reason why the crime was committed, that would probably mean mental instability to a judge or magistrate. Mental instability and guns do not mix in the eyes of the law. Being an a**h***, such as this gamekeeper, I wouldn't say be just cause for him to lose his licence, but unless he has some kind of mental disorder that means he's not responsible for his own actions, then it shouldn't be yanked off him pronto.

You don't get a criminal record for motoring offences. Just as well or nobody in UK would be employable.

John

Can someone in Durham please forward his details to the local firearms officer - let's make sure this guy gets justice. It's all in the public domain so it's not underhand.

I have to say for a Gamekeeper to behave like this man has is beyond my comprehension. To have a fine and community service is not enough in my eyes.

He does not deserve to have the title of a 'Gamekeeper' if this is how he treats wildlife. What was he planning to do with the Goldfinches 'sell them' or what?

There should be a 'blot' put against his name for what he has done.

Taking his Firearm license away is one way of doing it. He needs to be told that there is a consequence for the action he committed.

Why has he trying his best to throw his career away. One puzzle to me. :h?:

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Can someone in Durham please forward his details to the local firearms officer - let's make sure this guy gets justice. It's all in the public domain so it's not underhand.

He'll have to declare the offence himself when he wants to renew his firearms certificate.

I think certificates are usually revoked when firearms or violence have been involved in the crime committed - illegally keeping two goldies isn't quite in that league. I'd imagine he'd plea he'd lose his livelyhood if his certificate was revoked.

Jonathan

Good thing too, and he can always go and retrain as a car park car washer or shelf-stacker. Or perhaps dunnikin diver would be more appropriate.

John

Hi John

That is probabily the best thing for him the way he is. It would certainly stop him in his tracks from doing any more damage.

Regards
Kathy

You don't get a criminal record for motoring offences. Just as well or nobody in UK would be employable.

John

If you have been in prison for it, then you would do. There are a few that wouldn't get a record, but depends on the seriousness of the offence. Should have put some motoring offences in my previous post

If you have been in prison for it, then you would do. There are a few that wouldn't get a record, but depends on the seriousness of the offence. Should have put some motoring offences in my previous post

You probably know more about it than I do, but as I see it "speeding" is a motoring offence (the actual offence is the driving)but "causing death by dangerous driving" the offence is "causing death" and the driving is, if you like, the means - so a criminal offence involving motoring. Quite happy to be contradicted with authoritative data.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back