• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten/Loch Ruthven (1 Viewer)

There are Slav Grebe sites nearer to Aviemore which could save you the detour to Loch Ruthven. Can someone guide me on the protocol of disclosure? I would think they are quite well known in birding circles.

I wouldn't put the site on here (though I bet I know exactly where you mean)... but sending a Private Message seems reasonable if you see fit.

Phil,

worthy of note if not already pointed out that Crested Tit's can prove tricky during the breeding season from my experience.

I did see some last spring despite bad weather in Poorhouse Wood near Grantown on Spey where I also had Crossbills. Park on the right just past the golf course heading out of Grantown on the B9102. This is pristine Caledonian forest so expect other species too.

You can get Crested Tits around Loch Garten and Loch Mallachie but they remained elusive in late May last year. Forest Lodge is another good place and they can be found in the forest behind the pull-in at Boat of Garten.

Black Grouse - I have had more success looking down upon Glenmore Forest from Cairngorm parking areas than at Tulloch Moor which seems to have suffered from disturbance ? I drew a blank here on my previous two visits.

Golden Eagle - some good fortune can enable sightings from almost anywhere including Abernethy/Cairngorms.

I would recommend adding a day to your visit to get over to the West Coast if you can - Gruniard Bay would give you all three divers in summer plumage, probable WTEagles offshore along with a good supporting cast such as Black Guillemot, Hooded Crow and Twite. Lochs en-route from Speyside may provide divers too.

Robin

Back on this subject again, I have now got confirmed dates for our trip.

We leave Manchester in the morning of Friday 2nd May arriving in the afternoon. Leaving Monday 5th May early afternoon.

This now gives us an extra day.

Can anyone suggest an itinary taking into account Loch Ruthven, Lochindorb and Loch Garten together with the Cairngorms. We are staying at Carrbridge which is only 15 mins from Loch Garten.

Ideally we want a good walk on the Cairngorms on the Sunday so wondered where we are best to start from?? My family like walking so I have agreed a decent walk on the Sunday perhaps but this HAS to include Ptarmigan as part of the deal!!!

Just wondered what other species we are likely to see up on the Cairngorms at that time of the year???

Also do we have to book the Caper Watch or just turn up??

Any info on the Badgers/Pine Marten watch??

Thanks

Phil

Target species are RT Diver, BT Diver, Slav Grebe, Crossbills, Crested Tit, Osprey, Golden Eagle, Capercaillie, Ptarmigan, Black Grouse.

To save time, is it possible to get Slav Grebe at Loch Garten??

Any further info is much appreciated.

Phil

Back on this subject again, I have now got confirmed dates for our trip.

We leave Manchester in the morning of Friday 2nd May arriving in the afternoon. Leaving Monday 5th May early afternoon.

This now gives us an extra day.

Can anyone suggest an itinary taking into account Loch Ruthven, Lochindorb and Loch Garten together with the Cairngorms. We are staying at Carrbridge which is only 15 mins from Loch Garten.

Ideally we want a good walk on the Cairngorms on the Sunday so wondered where we are best to start from?? My family like walking so I have agreed a decent walk on the Sunday perhaps but this HAS to include Ptarmigan as part of the deal!!!
Hi Phil,

Although I've never been there I've been researching the area for our (me and R2didi2) trip. As it happens we'll be in that area from 3rd to 6th May. If you haven't already got it you should buy Gordon Hamlett's Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands. It'll tell you that starting from the walk from the car park for the ski lifts is a good place for Ptarmigan.

There's no booking for the Caper walk - but I've heard it can get very popular so an early start is recommended.

The Pine Marten hide trips are organised by Speyside Wildlife. We're booked for the 3rd (no spaces left on 4th or 5th).

Maybe see you up there?

Frank

Last edited:
For the last couple of years, it has also been possible to see ptarmigan from the restaurant at the top of the funicular but be warned that a) it is expensive and b) there is no access to the mountain from the top. Might suit though if you unable to walk far.

For Slavs, they are sometimes seen in Boat of Garten - leave the village heading towards Aviemore and look for a car park on your left at the start of the woods. Walk down the path for 50 yards to the display boards about slavs and scan the floods in the field opposite. Cresties and red squirrels visit the feeders here. To be honest though, they are far from reliable here and I would recommend a day spent in the Findhorn Valley/Farr road and Loch Ruthven with possibly an evening trip to Lochindorb.

I echo the sentiments about Gordon Hamlett's superb book, but then I'm a tad biased <big grin>

Cheers,

Gordon

Just wondered, since we are staying in Carrbridge, what the following places are like for birding??

Loch Ness
Loch Duntelchaig
Loch Moy
Loch Alvie
Loch Insh

Cheers

Phil

Just wondered, since we are staying in Carrbridge, what the following places are like for birding??

Loch Ness
Loch Duntelchaig
Loch Moy
Loch Alvie
Loch Insh

Cheers

Phil

forget loch ness -it's too deep to hold much of interest. also very touristy. the lochs down the east side of it are worth exploring though with the occasional diver etc on duntelchaig.

You can easily spend a day exploring insh and the insh marshes. If you get the chance, the guided night walks from the rspb are interesting. for the loch itself, best views from the northen edge between the church and the bridge in the nw corner

Gordon

Alternatively, there are several well established tour companies in the area who will show you all the specialities with little effort at all, accomodation, transport, guiding and food all inclusive! What more could you want? ;)

J

Last edited:
Last year I had 1 caper at Loch Garten on 3rd day after waiting 3 hours every day. Opsreys easy at Garten and had Crested Tit just near car park. Lochindorb lots of red grouse, merlin, hen harrier and 2 blk throated divers, and 2 red throats. Ptarmigan at Cairgorms were everywhere tho didnt see any goldies although went to look twice at findhorn valley.
However got about 7 in western isles and two adult wte.

I'm up same week staying in Aviemore. Can anyone pm me the map reference for black grouse please. Using Gordon's book for planning its excellent and well worth the money.

Cheers

Phil

It's worth mentioning here that the well known Strathspey Black Grouse lek is now seriously at risk from disturbance due to the large increase in birders visiting it in conjunction with seeing Capers at Garten. If you don't know the site well, and where best to stop and park, then it is very easy to accidently disturb the birds in searching for them due to the topography of the moor. Last year I witnessed two birders leave the road and walk straight at the lek on an open skyline and sadly flushing the birds which were there. If you are going to publicise or visit the site, then please make sure you also have accurate information on viewing the birds without causing disturbance, otherwise, perhaps it's best not to??

I would suggest speaking to the RSPB staff before visiting the site, I know that last year they started to put a member of staff on site also too monitor access.

J

Last edited:
It's worth mentioning here that the well known Strathspey Black Grouse lek is now seriously at risk from disturbance due to the large increase in birders visiting it in conjunction with seeing Capers at Garten. If you don't know the site well, and where best to stop and park, then it is very easy to accidently disturb the birds in searching for them due to the topography of the moor. Last year I witnessed two birders leave the road and walk straight at the lek on an open skyline and sadly flushing the birds which were there. If you are going to publicise or visit the site, then please make sure you also have accurate information on viewing the birds without causing disturbance, otherwise, perhaps it's best not to??

I would suggest speaking to the RSPB staff before visiting the site, I know that last year they started to put a member of staff on site also too monitor access.

J

I echo John's comments totally. As far as I am aware, there are no published lek sites for black grouse or capers in any of the written site guides and long may that continue.

I would suggest that anyone thinks twice before sending out details to other group members. It is always best to take advice from the local experts when you are up there. The risk of disturbance is real and great, and not something you want on your conscience.

For anyone wanting to see black grouse well, there are organised watches at Corrimony RSPB and the Glenlivet Estate. Check out too organised walks with the forestry rangers in the Lairg area if you are up in Sutherland.

Alternatively, if you are desperate to see these birds at the lek, then consider booking a holiday with Heatherlea or Speyside Wildlife who have properly supervised visits to leks not available to the general public.

Gordon

Excellent advice! We too have seen someone walking off the track in the direction of the lek. When he left we drove round to remonstrate with him but he'd vanished!

Sandra

I appreciate and support the comments. I would never approach a lek or disturb the birds. Not all people are irresponsible idiots. My request for information was intended innocently. I would have expected any information to detail the safe viewpoints. Sorry that everyone is tarred with by the actions of idiots, especially when a request is made with best intentions.

Phil

I will second that too.

I was quite suprised by some of the negative replies to be honest (without sounding funny about it)

The whole point of the forum is to ask questions.

Unfortunately the minority ruin it for us - the majority.

If there is any chance of disturbance, I simply would not want that.

At at the same time feel I am quite entitled to ask other forum members to provide a SAFE viewing point to view the Black Grouse from.

After all, you probably got the information second-hand yourselves.

you shouldn't get out of your car to see the grouse. when we were there we were watching them when a people carrier turned up with a whole group of people who went and walked out onto the moor watching them making loads of noise, as you can guess they flew off. there was also a man who we challenged because he was doing the same, he said that he didn't care because it was the only way to see them.

however if you view from a distance from a vehicle they will behave normally, and you can enjoy them responsibly

Who even mentioned doing that????

People are getting a bit paranoid over a few idiots here.

By all means PM the location to me if you do not want to post it on the forum.

Put do's and don'ts on it too if you like and I will bear that in mind (ie don't get out of car etc.) but lets not tar people with the same brush before we have even got there!!

All we want is view them without disturbance. A bird which for me personally would be a lifer.

Thank You

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back