• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moray birding (1 Viewer)

Thanks Steve, I've just located it on the map, it is in the Inverness and Highlands bird report territory and I was checking the Moray and Nairn reports!

I remember one of the best birders in Moray, I guy called John Mackie (sadly no longer with us) had two Buff Breasted Sandpipers together down there, it was one of his favourite haunts.

Marcus, what is access like for parking etc and is it path/tracked or are you bondoo bashing through the dunes?

Dave

Marcus, what is access like for parking etc and is it path/tracked or are you bondoo bashing through the dunes?

Dave

There are two options.

1. You can work the site West of the channel by entering from the old Carse workings. There is a long track marked 'private road' which leads to an old fabrication works and the boat club. There is plenty of parking up here. Like with most of these places it is now infested with dog walkers and the occaisonal quad bike. I am uncertain about the current legal status of access, butit is derilict land and everyone just walks on. there is a large field that holds winter buntings, twite and sometimes Jack Snipe. Thje woods hold Crestie, Crossbils and Red Squirrels. The main interest and wader roost on that side is the channel. Easily over 100 godwits most days plus the usual stuff but over 500 Redshank and 100 Turnstone possible. The channel is best visited at high tide.

2. The East side (Whiteness Head itself) can be accessed via a track and there is a range of habitat from dunes, slacks to exposed mud, some sallows that hold migrants - just Goldcrest and Coal tits so far! You are also afforded stunning views over the Moray Firth

I am sure the area is a migrant hotspot. I have had over 20 Wheatear some days as well as Whinchat and Redstart - and I don't go that often.

As for BBSandpiper the habbo is perfect. I was chatting to the local ringing group and they said it has had a number of American waders over the years.

The only person I have seen down there birding is Roy Dennis who does the WEBS counts on the wader roost.

Last edited:
Keep you eyes peeled, first Waxwings being reported at Dyce/Aberdeen.

Good numbers of Whoopers on Loch Flemington at the moment.

Took a quick recce down to Whiteness Head, well the old yard area across from the spit, strange place but with huge potential. Good views of Peregrine harrying the waders and a good number of Barwits at roost. Will give it a more thorough going over next week... will keep you posted.

12 Whoopers in pool in field just past Dalcross airfield.

What is the consensus of opinion for everyone meeting up for a social beer and bird talk, just an idea to put names to faces!

Dave

Weather systems shaping up nicely Wed/Thur for migrant movements/falls. High over Scandinavia and two big lows just south of Ireland.

Ooooo I will go for Whites Thrush and or Desert Wheatear, plus mass invasion of Waxwings...... however the pressure systems have moved a bit and the Northerly component has gone. Still hooking up through central Europe though so hope still remains high :) Whats your best guess?

5th nov cairngorm ptarmigan x7 red grouse x6 fieldfare coming from the north in flocks of 40+
5th nov loch garten crested tit x1
6th nov tulloch moor hen black grouse x1
6th nov carr road white goose hybrid x1 with greylags whooper swan x10
6th nov findhorn valley strathdearn golden eaglex2 (adults) red kite x2 coignafearn golden eagle x3 2 sub adults 1 1st winter. white tailed eagle x1 sub adult
7th nov annagach goosander x7 all males in flight parrott crossbill x1
7th nov munlochy bay red kite x1 greenshank x1 pink footed geese x100+
7th nov jemimaville slavonian grebe x16 red throated diver x1 long tailed duck x7 scaup x60+
8th nov abernethy forest forest lodge capercaillie x1 hen
8th nov findhorn long tailed duck x50+ velvet scoter x40+ black throated diver x4 slavonian grebe x10+ gannet x3 juv adult x1
8th nov roseisle grey partridge x11 razorbill x1 velvet scoter x50+ common scoter x20+ x1 with very yellow bill
8th nov burghead common eider x100 king eider x1 (viewed from pier close in)
8th nov black loch dead mountain hare x1 red grouse x3 drinking from loch
9th nov huntley river deveron bridge goosander red head x2 goldeneye x2

a few of my highlights from a very enjoyable 6 days birdwatching will be back lovely part of the world cheers john

lol. I want them NOW!

The forecast was looking absolutely brill for a migrant spectacular up here this weekend, now the real weather has arrived it's about as bad for migrants as you can get!! Ho hum welcome to the world of birding!

Birdguides reporting:

Bean Goose at Spey Bay
Red Necked Grebe at Burghead bay

Would good idea to check any flocks of Pinkers and Greylags as alot of White fronted Geese being reported in UK.

Dave

Went down the back road behind Duffus castle and found a group of geese at East Mains farm (near Gilston, Elgin) feeding on stubble but farmer ploughing field so don't know how long the stubble will be present!

Bean Goose 36 (most bill patterns/structure look like rossicus but looking into it)
European White-fronted Goose 57
Barnacle Goose 12

Reported by R Proctor.

Quick visit to the half re-decorated hide at Findhorn today, spoke to Pat Carroll the Committee chairman and mentioned the fact a lot of birders would like the hide moved, he did agree but it is all down to cost, in fact the hide location was a compromise of and at the time the birders on the consultation group were not happy with where it finally ended up!

Anyway I'm going to give it a good go and hopefully pick something of interest up..... it will have to be a big bird though owing to the distance!

30+ Pintail mid channel was only thing worthy of note today.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back