• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

orkney birding (1 Viewer)

Thanks Dafi, if you were trying to make me turn green with envy you've succeeded!! :flowers:

(btw, I got the job, so I'll be waiting for July's calander...!)

Wet Night At Hobbister

To night I was out on a weekly class walk along the coastal path going from Hobbister RSPB car park to the bay of Waulkmill as it’s a liner walk we leave two cars at the Waulkmill end but before travelling back to start from Hobbister. we are all ready spying our first birds before we leave Waulkmill. Below us a Red Throated Diver is feeding to the right of it are a few Eider and a loan Shag. Further to the right and the bay opens out into Scapa flow and a few solitary gulls float about. In the other direction towards the beach a few Oyster Catchers and Redshank fringe the shrinking edges of the sand bars. It all looks quiet. There is a light breeze blowing with a constant spitting rain that’s been falling for the last three hours. Just as we are heading off another Red throated diver flys noisily the length of the bay. So with this we are almost off. In fact we were in first gear and moving when a Twite flys along side the car and lands in front of us and starts to eat dandelions. So it’s all stop and bail out until traffic forces us to get a move on.
At the Hobbister car park little is seen to be moving, a pair of Hoodies move sulkily away from us and despite the rain Pipits scurry around beaks full of caterpillars. On a lovely warm summers evening this can be a wonderful and rewarding place even in the car park you will be assailed by the sounds of Curlew lapwing Skylark and drumming Snipe. To night though its seven oclock cold raining and looks quiet. Heading down the track heather moor opens up on both sides. To the east is the Highland park distillery peat banks whtch form part of this vast reserve. Then along side the track is a plantation of willow that’s loved by Stonechats. Walking along side the plantation we only see a few Meadow Pipits and very little else. Taking the right fork at the peat banks junction we move along side a broader plantation for fifty yards or so. Stopping now to look and listen for Stonechats. Where we are standing earlier in the day a family of newly fledged chats were out and about showing well. However they aren’t to be seen now. Normally you would expect to hear Wren Blackbird Stonechat Robin, All we are hearing is the patter of rain on our coats and hoods until two brief bursts of Sedge warbler song cut through the air. This encourages a loan Stonechat to move from bush to bush. At this Tim tries some gentle phishing.. Stonechats are inquisitive birds and a little patience and stillness often can bring the birds to you. They are having none of it though so we back track to the peat bank gate to try for the sedgie.Tim takes the same approach again this time sounding passably like a Sedge Warbler to us and sure enough it was responding within twenty seconds. It also wouldn’t come out and sit in the open but its curiosity drew it to the front of the bush giving us good views and a couple of full bursts of song before deciding we were just some wet humans and no longer of any interest so disappear into cover again.
Returning to the track we head downhill to the cliff edge while over head two Red Throated Divers head nosily in land after feeding. Looking to sea the waters edge and beyond hold immature Eider and Black Guillemot.. The wind is off shore and we can’t hear their strange high pitched calls to one another. In the first bay is yet another diver and on the headland rocks one or two Shags lurk about doing little. Following the path toward Walukmill single twite are passing stopping to feed in the heather and grass. On past the bomb hole and a rather incongruous picnic table.. The next bay has a pair of Red Breasted Mergansers feeding along the seaward side of the breaking shore wave. Each it seems is taking turns to dive and feed and they are un bothered with our presence and continue until every thing arounds attention is drawn by a male Peregrine making a huge racket as he moves along the cliff line, circling twice before disappearing toward scapa we enjoyed good views and no sooner had he gone and the Meadow Pipits put their heads up again.. Moving along more ArticTerns are passing down the flow...As we arrive at the last headland the path heads inland for two hundred yards or so then turns left or right. Right takes you back to the car park over the hill and the left takes you to the Waulkmill road. This is the one for us the path is newly opened so now puts in a vital new link in the coastal pathways. As we exit the path for the road the rain is falling in earnest and not expecting much we tramp towards waulkmill lodge where in the garden flitting about in the rain are a family group of Stonechats. Wondering who has less scene them or us we watch for a while before moving on to the cars.
With one last rub of the lenses we look out from our vantage point. The view is spectacular even in the rain a long thin shallow bay with heather hills either side when the tide falls it exposes a beautiful expanse of sand. At the back of this there is Orkneys largest area of salt marsh and as such is designated a SSSI .[a new footpath exists somewhere over looking this but is yet to be marked but its going to be great this winter!!] So the last scan produced three Red Throated Divers together in the middle of the bay, another one close in to shore near a Merganser and some Eiders but not a lot more. .Its not been to bad given the conditions. If it hadn’t been a class I would have been off after an hour and missed a lot. But now we are off home for a nice dry out.

Red Throated Divers

In Britain there are about a thousand breeding pairs, In Orkney we have about one hundred pairs. Tonight we have seen about ten percent of them in about three miles so im quite chuffed with that. Given the amount we have seen, the conditions and the noise they were making flying to and fro its easy to see where they get the local name rain goose.

On a foot note I thought I saw a med gull at the piedie sea yesterday any one else seen it?

Wonderful report Dafi! I'm impressed that you went, despite the rain. It seems you were rewarded for your efforts. I'd love to see that Peregrine, I've only ever seen one in captivity. Hope you had a hot cup of tea after your class (or perhaps something a bit stronger...!)

Kristina

That made beautiful reading Dafi, what a sight the Reds are, though, as ye, I've never heard them utter a sound. Is it mainly in flight that they do so? Glad you got your Stonechats in the end. There's something about Sedge Warblers that makes them a real joy to watch. What a rotten night, good sights though, wonderful scenery also, can't be bad really and at least you could change and warm up when you got home.

Thanks for all that Daf, really lovely.

Sue.

Wideford Burn Warblers

Having been stuck indoors awaiting the return of transport I decided to get a taxi to Inganess beach and do the Wideford burn walk. This walk starts off at the beach follows the Wideford burn along side a wee loch and then up a scrubby wooded valley and out to the road through Wideford farm and cottages
On arrival [by taxi] the sea is looking blue but very quiet. Far off at the point are two groups of Eider and one loan Cormorant flying low. there are no gulls no ducks nothing on the sands the shore side is quite empty. Over the back is our route the small loch is quiet holding one pair of Shell Duck with one in the open and the other in a hole some where nearby two common gull take off as soon as the flash from the binoculars hits them the only others on the water are a pair of coots with three young looking fluffy and colourful. As im looking across the water the first Sedge Warbler starts up swiftly followed by another almost on top of the first. I managed three views as they manoeuvred about the regosa bush singing at each other. before I move off.
A path leads inland from the corner of the loch to the right is the loch to the left is a burn bordered by a Flag Iris dominated wetland that turns to rough grazing then an airport. Moving along the path some of which is board walked Wrens are singing in blizzard of song competing with Skylark and Meadow Pipits and a half dozen noisy Swallows through alL of this I can hear the calls of Coot chics and the gentle noises of their guiding parents. From the second bit of board walk I had a view of the chicks long enough to get the camera on them only for the battery to die oh well. Moving along the path I see a female mallard on a nest and a few wee birds fly over three Twite chattering and a Rreed Bunting that passes parallel to the burn at the bridge that crosses the burn I see the strangest thing iv seen for ages [more at exbeebs] and flitting around is a brand new Pied wagtail. All it wants to do is circle the bridge sitting on the fence posts ,im probably near the nest so I move along . In the fields now are black thorn bushes and willow scrub and each one seems to have a Sedge Warbler singing away I have counted six now. With the wind from the south and east for days it seems to have brought in all these new birds. To the right the ground rises up a hill and a Raven is taking my attention when a circling Whimbrell starts to call with its distinctive call It soon disappears north over the hill and im left with displaying Meadow pipits.
The path leads across the main road [ a bend on a deceptively fast hill]and in to a willow lined path with the burn at one side and Flag Iris and willow on the other Sedgies are singing in the distance and Wrens at my feet in fact the one becomes two so I must be on top of a nest so I move on .the ground starts to rise and become a valley and the path gains height we emerge into the open. Now I can see back over where I have walked to the airport and beyond to the left a flock of Jackdaws are feeding and on the opposite side Oyster Catchers are precariously nesting among sheep and big lambs. Progressing up the path the willow scrub deepens and spreads down the deepening valley side .on entering I hear the first of two Willow Warblers. All around the discordant song of Sedgies fills the bushes and moving along a family of Pied Wagtails heads down towards the sea then moments later another party heads towards the farm on the hill side. Over a blackthorn containing a Hoodie nest[long since fledged]the second Willow Warbler sing now but with something else singing as well . A loud fluent song rising and falling. Im not much good with songs and I don’t recognise this one. Once out at the head of the wee valley the path runs through pasture on the level . At the end of the field the path turns hard right up hill to the farm but on the corner is a ford through the burn, it’s a good place to come on birds drinking and bathing and sure enough I get great views of Curlew bathing before they are spooked be me coming towards them .So past this and up hill half way the landing lights come on down the runway so I put the scope on the strip and wait till the plane comes in low overhead. and lands with a puff of smoke. Its my last big bird of the day, it’s a roadside walk back into town. Reflecting on the road back about the insane amount of Sedgies I have just seen usually there are a few regularly breeding but its been a big fall to day. Later tonight I was speaking to Dick Matson of the RSPB about the cancelled weekend trips[bad weather coming] and he told me there were good warblers reported out west and a really good fall of migrants on North Ronaldsay today. I should have written it down but there you go. If it rains before first light and a wet morning it may well be the dogs out there tomorrow morning. FINGERS CROSSED.
Forgot to mention the Chifchaf singing at the bottom of my road [Quadrant/Carters parkRd this lunch time.

Hi Dafi,
Sorry to hear you had to resort to a taxi ride, but glad that you got out! Nothing beats a warbler for me, except maybe a woodthush! Oh, and that airplane sounds dodgy, puffs of smoke and all!

ps - I think I know someone that likes chichafs...!

Hi Dafi,
Sorry to hear you had to resort to a taxi ride, but glad that you got out! Nothing beats a warbler for me, except maybe a woodthush! Oh, and that airplane sounds dodgy, puffs of smoke and all!

Chiffchaffs are always good.

Glad you got out, Dafi!

Hi Dafi,

That was a lovely peaceful walk and what some beautiful Birds along the way. So many Sedges too! Each Bird you spoke of I could almost hear their songs with your descriptions of them all. I hope you've at last got your bike back and won't need a taxi again.

dolphinbride said:

D'you reckon she could be talking about me by any chance?! Cheeky devil! Talking of Chiffchaffs though, we hardly hear any up in the north, a few odd ones, but nothing like Willow Warblers, strange.

Thanks for that Daf, a good'un.

Sue.

Wet Sunday

Went out in the car with Kate for a spin about. The endless rain putting a damper on things this weekend.
Stopped off at lochside view point Harray
2doz Tuffted scatered about
1pr Mergansers
2 Stonechats
1 Wren
Meadow Pipits
Couple of Curlew

All quite quiet there then i met Dick Matson coming back from fishing.
He had seen.
The Harray Black Swan
Three sandpiper moving between the islands.
Two house Martins
A single Sandmartin.

Merkister

The wet ground between Brialea and North Bigging held several Redshank famlies and a bit of a Reedbunting fest. The merkister bay held very little. and definately no Sandpipers [is a good place to see them though] so on to Loch of Banks hide cos its dry!

Loch Of Banks

Quiet though it was Snipe were periodicaly drumming and showing well on fence posts. Coots moved about with their fluffy red headed young. Loads of Reed Warblers came and went gathering food for hungry young. Bedragled looking Hoodies haunted far off fence posts. While around the hide Sedge warblers sang. To top the day two Housemartins briefly halked over the pool. My first this year.
Yesterday i was at Cotsgarth briefly. The hill was socked in saw brief Merlin on Hoodie action and male Hen Harrier quartering close to the hide but little else.

Evie Sands

North end produced great close views of R/T Diver

Hi Daf,

I'm pleased Kate got in on some of the action too. You certainly have your share of Reed and Sedge Warblers up there, Reed Buntings too now, great! The amount of drumming Snipes you see/hear is amazing, good news too!

Thanks for more good news of it all Daf.

Sue.

Hi Sue i think wideford burn will be back to normal now after the fall with just a few pairs dotted about. The other day there were birds all over, all i was seeing were sedgies but there were redstarts,pied and spotted flycatchers ouzels warblers,all sorts of stuff. Check out this blury short ear we saw last night. tell you about it and where it was next post.

Attachments

• owlowlowlowl.jpg
    owlowlowlowl.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 108
Windwick Bay[winick]

To nights outing was to the excellent area of the south parish called Windwick [but pronounced winick]Its a rocky bay with cliffs either side and backed by an excellent area of rough ground behind called Blows Moss. The plan had originally been to look for migrants. However the wind hasn’t been in the right direction to be bringing any thing in unfortunately. Are we down hearted, never a bit, There is always something to see if you just look.
We park up at the parking spot an take in the view of the bay. Before us to the right the cliffs gently rise above boulder strewn beaches. To the left steep cliffs start to rise guarded by sentinel like rock stacks.Around the headland the cliffs of Hesta Head rise up to be some of the finest sea cliffs in Orkney. Home of Peregrine and Raven with good colonies of Auks and Gulls. The residents of the cliffs are obvious as we start to scan the waters. With every one [nine of us in total tonight] scanning the sea we soon start to see r
Razor bills and the occasional Guillemot. Tim pops down his scope and within seconds he is in to seven Puffins in a group sitting about on the water. They are a bit distant and hard work for the bins.Iits decided to take a walk along the cliff to get a closer view. The roadside verges are looking particularly verdant at the moment. Big stands of Campion are blooming the Birdsfoot Trefoil are just starting to flower and the grass is full of flowering Clover,Tormentul and Plantains. In the poorer areas Northen Marsh Orchids are pushing through in profusion. These purple flowers are one of my favourite summer flowers. Beyond the verges Meadow Pipits are busy most flit back and forward with food for the hungry broods. Above them males are displaying. These maybe unsuccessful males or they may have fledged there first brood. and be up for the second.
We turn off the road and follow the cliff track up hill . In places its quite exposed with long slopes to the shore below. Fulmars nest all over these faces. and many are roosting up for the night in their pairs. At the waters edge a pair of Shellduck move about feeding while further out dotted about are black Guillemots with there conspicuous white patches showing well through binoculars. We stop at a point we can over look the Puffins there are a dozen or so close in view. It’s a strange thing but they are easer to find in the evening than during the day. This bay and along these cliffs are reputed to be one of the more reliable places to see them. With our puffin lust slaked we were about to move off as a pair of jackdaws landed on top of the nearest rock stack giving fantastic views in the telescopes. Both birds looking in top shape iridescent plumage and that wonderful eye it a shame that I take them so for granted. With that we turn to retrace our path back to the bay. . Wrens sing as we pass , On the shore a few immature Eider lurk about .
Beyond the car park and houses the Burn of Stanes runs to the sea this is bordered by good stands of reeds and home to Sedge Warblers and Reed bunting nether of witch seem interested in coming out to sing and all a quick pish reveals is a curious Wren . Onward beyond the farm buildings a pair of Linnets dance along drawing us on and of course we follow. Beyond the farm the trail turns left through the fields to the cliffs. However traversing the fields proves to be a noisey business with Curlew and Oystercatcher parents determined to make there presence felt and drive us off. Around our feeton the cliff top we are surrounded by Heath Spotted Orchid as well as some big areas of Spring Squill.The path runs along the cliff top to reveal a boulder strewn shore with little to see on it but if you return in autumn then it will be alive with puping seals and you can observe from here till your hearts content. Looking over the water on this side of the bay reveals a little less activity from auks but they nest less in this area. Its more home for fulmars on the grassy ledges and Tysties In the old rabbit holes. Our first raptor puts in an appearance with a Sparrow hawk crossing the bay . The path only leads for a few fields before turning for the inland loop this takes us through a field of frisky cattle to a path past a willow lined lochan. Looking down on the lochan Tufted Duck come immediately to sight followed by Tim calling look look for in his scope he had a Shorteared owl sitting on a fence. It sat patiently watching us but not moving. It seemed amazingly un bothered by ten pairs of bins probing it. Scanning around a pair of Widgeon pass over head to circle and land on the nearest pools of Blows Moss. A few months ago Widgeon were every where and at times its been a matter of waiting for them to move so you can see the birds but now thay have virtually all migrated leaving only a few pairs to breed so from the commonest of ducks on the sea to the rarest of british breeders we get strangely excited by them. We shorten our distance to the owl to a hundred yards, then we are as close as we will get. Its parallel with the path we are on about seventy yards from it .Tims thoughts are it may be sick or it may have just come in from the sea and is exhausted. Or its full of food and cant be arsed to fly. I take the opportunity to shoot a few photos but its not very successful as you can see in the previous post We move along with his head turning completely around watching us until we turn along side the lochan and willows shield us from view.
To the right is Blows Moss an area of wet land extending in land and providing great habitat. Tim told us that at the moment you can hear Water Rail calling and displaying of an evening..Something I have never heard and as it sounds like screaming pigs it’s a song even I might recognise!! To the right the willows contain Sedgies and ReedBbunting singing as we move along. following them until the willow ends and the path crosses the last of the pasture. A scan across the fence posts shows four Oystercatchers sitting looking over young and to our rear the Owl still sits. More Bonxies pass overhead. . They have been passing regularly all evening heading back to roost in the huge colony on Hoy no doubt after spending a hard day mugging auks for there dinners!. We pass the house Quoyorallya on the right as we rejoin the road down through the farm buildings to rejoin the Linnets moving through the tops of the fusias. .At the the bridge Sedgeies still don’t make an appearance until we are all leaving then they join us flitting along the ditch. On reaching the cars a last scan about shows a strangely autumnal sight away beside Hestly there are Oystercatchers mixed in with gulls . They may be late starters that didn’t find mates of they may have had there chicks already [or have lost them] whatever it was summer is over for them and is a stark reminder how far the season is on all ready.
Until the next time.
DAF

Six Widgeon flying over Brig of Wathe this lunch time.
Birds with young everywhere.
Lapwing,Curlew. Oystercatcher. cause me concern as the silage cutting is getting under way but at the same time it realy draws in the birds to feed.
Sparrowhawk hunting over the willows Kirkwall the last two nights.
Arnt Auk numbers low on Marwick?. Looks like more of the same this year.

Barriers

Tonight’s outing was across the barriers with a visit to all four. but first a little explanation to set the Sean on the history of the landscape. During the war[sound like grandad now] the military built causeways between the islands of Lamb Holm, Glimps Holm, Burray and South Ronaldsay .these were constructed with huge concrete blocks and Italian POW labour. With these Islands then land locked it secured the eastern end of the huge natural harbour of Scapa Flow for the British fleet. They have been maintained to this day and Carrie the main road over the sea. With the north sea on one side and the Flow leading to the Adlantic on the other the barriers generally have birds some where along them.
We meet in the car park at the St Marys end of the first barrier the aim is to head south from here scanning around the fish farm cages hold a few roosting Black Guillemot and couple of Eider. Black headed and herring gulls move about but little else. A flock of male Eider hang about aimlessly. The immature males are now joined by the breeding aged males. .As there job is now done[they take no part in feeding or raising the young] that have started the moult from summer plumage. this means they are now flightless and will gather in bigger and bigger groups in the coming weeks. On one of the blocks stands a loan Razorbill looking for all the world like a wee penguin little else is to bee seen so it’s of to number two. barrier.
The first barrier takes us to the small island of Lamb Holm. This tiny island has the Italian chapel. A war time chapel built by the POW’S and is truly astonishing to see . the other thing is the grass air strip which seems to be host to a micro light fly in . The whole night they seem to be arriving from a southerly direction.
A wee moan now how come my bike has to have a regulated noise emission yet these buzz bombs seem to get off with droning about with open pipes. BOO.
Crossing Lamb Holm we stop at the end the second barrier to look out from The Glimps Holm shore in to Scapa flow Here the Artic Terns are up and feeding fifty yards in front of us noisily swooping and diving in spectacular fashion more often than not emerging to swallow a sand eel. Quite a few are passing food to there partners reinforcing the pair bond. These particular birds may well be nesting in the colony that’s right on top of Glimps Holm this year. Two small groups of razor bills are out there nine in one group and four in an other then to the left of them a Red Throated Diver is called as it makes it way to the left. Almost instantly another is spotted then the oddest one of the lot another RTD but this time its in winter plumage. As to why well I haven’t a clue. Among the Artics we se a couple of dark wing tipped common terns then disappearing into the distance carrying a sand eell is our first Little Gull. Followed by a group of five Gannets its getting good now!
The next stop is not really a barrier but a road over a rocky shore with a loch at the back of it. We stop at the car park at the south end. This is the fantastic Ecnaloch bay and Echa loch. Scanning the sea produces a raft of fifteen or so Eiders and more spectacularly twenty five Mergansers they are on the move diving in groups for sand ells around them are diving terns. one or two Shags are along the shores and a few more razorbills are dotted about along with a few Black Guillies. The first Dunter chicks are being stewarded about by there mothers.. Another nine mergansers land and its turning in to a bit of a merganser fest.. Over on Echna Loch the swans have growing signets with a few tufted duck at the far end drawing our attention the air over them is full of swallows darting hear and there they are a delight to watch and soon two sand martins are picked out from amongst them. In the reeds a Mallard has her small chicks Then comes the bird of the night in the short reeds Tim calls a widgeon with two chicks excellent. Four months ago there were more widgeon than you could point a stick at but now like the rest of the UK they are all gone the UK breeding population is some where over a hundred pairs so as we are watching this gem and having a drool another one is called with a chick this time in open water. Echna Loch never fails. You have to see this place in winter its unreal. The road side car park is a premier place for otters as well. With that it’s off to the forth barrier.
Parking at the north end we take the track to the sands. Sea rocket and sandwort are blooming .large clumps of Scots Lovage are growing. This beach holds good numbers of the extremely rare Oyster plant witch is now coming in to bloom with its stunning blue flowers. On the seas a raft of Eiders [surprise surprise]but the one we have come to see is the Little Tern. The Little Tern is Orkneys rarest breeding sea bird with just one pair on this beach last year this year one nest is all ready established and to night we count six maybe seven birds around.. so its looking good for then so far. They seem to make strange choices of nest area and are prone to disturbance and this is a popular beach for kids and dogs and it’s a bit concerning to see bike tracks running through the nesting area. Fingers crossed. Over them fly’s an Artic Scua so that’s Brittan’s rarest breeding sea bird in shot with Orkneys rarest breeding sea bird how cool is this. we head away. You don’t need to get near to the Little Gulls to observe them as thay settle the hole length of the beach so eventually will land near you with some paticience. And what fantastic birds they are. The most elegant of the terns but also the most feisty harrying any bird that ventures near there nesting area. Terrific stuff.. As we leave for the night the last birds we see is a flock of Sanderling feeding in the breaking waves. They specialise in feeding in the backwash of the breaking waves and are constantly on the move. Looking good in there summer plumage these late migrants have stopped off on there journey from west Africa heading to Greenland or the artic to refuel before heading off for their brief breeding season. That’s it for the night. I forgot to mention the pair of Black Throated Divers[oops] Its been a great night with some truly excellent birds and they are all out there now so get out and enjoy. The only dark cloud was not having sue and terry to share it with sorry guys and I had loads planned but that’s a tale for some one else to tell.

Sounds like it all turned out quite well for you, daf! What incredible history (modern as well as ancient) you have there in Orkney!

The only dark cloud was not having sue and terry to share it with sorry guys and I had loads planned but that’s a tale for some one else to tell.

What sad news, and you had chachiffs ;) all lined up! Kidding of course! I hope all is well with all, it truly is sad news.

All the best,
Kristina

Mull Head In The Haar

I took a fancy to see a Puffin or two tonight, so after a late tea I headed out to Deerness and the local nature reserve of Mull Head. Situated on the east coast, parts of its cliff tops attract a few Puffins to nest and as it’s the closest spot to Kirkwall for them it was the first choice. Heading out about nine thirty, the first view in the distance is not encouraging. Looking over the Parrish of Tankerness towards Deerness, one end is being swallowed up by a large bank of haar [sea fog] but I press on to take a chance. By the time I pass Dingishowe beach and enter Deerness I am enveloped in a wet fog with a visabilaty of fifty yards ugg. Three miles of this and I’m approaching Mull Head at a fairly slow pace. Along side the road Black Headed Gulls are hawking for insects oblivious to my presence. Parking up the visibility rises to seventy yards or so and I decide to go for it.
Meadow pipits abound .two families are about and the parents seem to be teaching their young the pipit art of sitting on fence posts. Moving from one to another they are every where and fun as it is to stand in the middle of it its not what I have come for so onwards. The air is full of evening song despite the fog with two Blackbirds and two or more Wrens singing. Somewhere in the mists Curlew bubbles and the sounds of Oyster Catchers displaying cut through the gloom. The Gloop holds little but starlings and I move on as I have a mile or so to walk over land, Along the cliff tops the visibility improves and from time to time you can see inland then as fast the sun turns to a dull orb as I step back in to the damp fog .Meadow pipits seem to be everywhere. The first clutches have hatched and fledged. Soon these youngsters will be left to get on with it and the next eggs will be laid. Above the youngsters there are males displaying .Parachuting down with aplomb to land on the tallest heather tussock to the female. Then out of the fog a Curlew circles me crying its agitated cry .I must be near its young so i keep moving three Oyster Catchers pass me nosily at low level. Looks like a male seeing off a rival with his misses bringing up the rear.
So far the path has been lined with a fine display of Birds Foot Trefoil and interspersed with Buttercups producing a fine mat of yellow flowers other things are out too; Ribwort Plantain dwarfs its smaller cousin sea Plantain and thin flowering grasses like Red Fescue abound. the Ling heather is yet to bloom but the new growth of the Crowberry looks fresh and green. approaching the Broch of Deerness[an amazing sight with so much history]. I step out of the fog completely Mull Head is before me and the flowers change now to patches of pink Thrift and and Tormentil. White drifts of scurvy grass still bloom and here and there the purple flowers of lousewort and Northern Bog Orchid are spotted about. Where the heather gives way to the maritime heath grasses the last of the delicate Spring Squill is still in flower. Looking back to Brough the ledges are occupied by good numbers of roosting and nesting Shags and Razorbills. Above them on the grassy ledges the ubiquitous Fulmar is every where. I can see my destination in the distance. Above me I am being circled by Black Back Gulls .as I count eight I cant help wondering if they are waiting for me to go over the edge in the fog. Even as I think this the world closes up again yet with in two minutes its passed yet the fogs character has changed again and is now rising up and forming over the low ground and gullies in the cliff line rolling inland in flat narrow sheets and making for an impressive vista.
On the sea little is sitting about. I watch Shag Razorbill Fulmar and Common Gull returning for a while before being moved on by the first midgies of the year[its been quite cold and wet this last while and it don’t bode well] Moving off the path takes me up and down in and out of the haar - at times thin tendrils are snaking over my boots mostly its just a walk through soup but the track is quite well defined. If your out here stick to it cos it would be easy to come to the edge of a geo and there’s some spectacularly deep ones on the cliff path. Just along the Howan lickan shore is a case in point .A narrow geo twenty foot wide cuts into the headland and has a drop of a hundred feet. Impressive in the light but you wouldn’t want to fall in. The sun has now set but it wont be getting dark for a long while yet as we are so far north. This is one of the best times to see the small amount of Puffins as they return to their nest holes to roost up and the next headland is the place to be. Moving up hill now I leave the fog and emerge into clear air. Leaving the path to get to the cliff edge I settle down on the wet grass[ugg] to scan about. Nothing is sitting on the sea but along the rocks below are five male Eider two Blackbacks and a few Common Gulls. Rock pi[its display either side of me and as I watch the first Puffin appears dashing up to the cliff. It banks sharply and heads out into the fog. several more false calls get me going as returning Razorbills approach and land. Mostly the razorbills are in pairs sitting face to face on ledges and nest sights cutely preening each other and billing away. Fulmars silently glide along the gently moving air of the cliff face then another group of four Puffins circle twice before two land out of sight.
Looking back from my vantage point the high ground sticks out of the fog as it rises over the low points in a series of white rivers of mist. Its strange how you take the landscape for granted I have been here dozens upon dozens of times but have never seen a view as stunningly beautiful as it is tonight while contemplating this six Puffins in the largest group of the night appear, bank right to disappear along the face but only two reappear to head out to sea. Over the next thirty minutes they appear in ones and twos and I count eighteen in all. Add to all this two Cormorants and I decide to haul ass back towards the bike. Once again through the rivers of fog with occasionally a big bank rolling over everything. At the gate before the Brough there is a noisy clamour when out of the fog in front of me literally ten yards away appears a Fulmar being attacked by an Artic Skua. The Skua sees me and breaks off its attack. The lucky Fulmar holds on to its supper as it heads in the other direction. The moor land of Mull Head holds at least one pair of these rare breeding sea birds and the path across the centre of the moor will provide views of them for walkers they are britans rarest breeding sea bird and I think the light phase birds are also the most attractive sea bird going ,Elegant graceful sleek and deadly. A spectacular bird. From the brough back it’s a case of much the same .
Curlews circle and almost out at the Gloup the field of horses produces an agitated lapwing that gives me a little harrie. I look for its chicks in the field but nothing is to be seen. They must be listening to mum and sitting still wise birds with Skuas and Blackbacks about. The last place to look is in the Gloup. A gloup is a hole where the roof of a sea cave has collapsed but sill retains the tunnel to the sea. This is the biggest one in Orkney and intrepid boatmen have been known to sail the length of the cave to appear inside. There is little to see inside, grey mist falls down the far end and starlings chatter in the gathering gloom. If these conditions occurred during migration time then it could well be another story for in the treeless landscape of the east mainland this huge hole provides sheltered haven for small birds to rest up in and it can fill spectacularly with Blackcaps Robins Goldcrests and all manner of migratory birds. However not tonight all there is mist and damp. That’s it for me. I reach the bike stash the bins in their bag under the bungies and steel my self for the long wet ride home. I’ve not seen much but its been visually stunning occasionally to the point of a lump in the throat. Orkney! I love it!!

Look at you Dafi-saviour of the Fulmars! What descriptions of the area, with it's plants and all.
I think we should start a Dafi-report Fan Club, hell a Dafi fan club!

Well done, mate.

No i dont think so mate. All i want to do is to try and tell it like it is for me and encourage others to get out and enjoy whats about.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back