• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sites to visit on mull (1 Viewer)

I certainly did enjoy reading it Andrew!:t:

I'm pleased that you found the Hen Harriers and note that you also caught sight of one or Two White Tailed Sea Eagles!!

Glad that you had what sounds like a great trip.
Brian M

Mull April 2009
Tuesday 20th April
I got the CalMac ferry over to Mull. I had my tour with David Woodhouse on the first day. I highly recommend this bird tour with David Woodhouse, 10/10 from me! First real bird of the day was an immature White-tailed Eagle on the hillside. We then headed along the road and got female and male Hen Harrier. I did not see the male Hen Harrier but saw the female Hen Harrier, this was my first ever female Hen Harrier. Also from this point we had 4 immature white-tailed eagles in the air at once!!! We headed up the road a tiny bit and stopped to see male and female goosander on the loch. We then turned around and went to where we had the Hen Harriers. This time we had 2 ringtails, and 1 sky dancing male Hen Harrier. Again from here we watched the 4 immature White-tailed eagles over the mountain.

We carried on from here up the road and I think we headed through glen more and didn’t have much, we where looking for Goldie’s. We then went to Loch Scridain to look for Otter but didn’t see one. We then headed along the loch side toward Tiroran and had a wing tagged adult White-tailed eagle sitting in the tree. Great views of this individual! We then headed along the road and just after the sharp turn onto the road by the side of Loch Na Keal we had 1 Peregrine Flacon. Then we headed off again a long the road toward Knock. There was nothing here for about 5 minutes. Until me and one other person shouted out Golden Eagle! Fantastic views of this bird flying over the trees… We then headed to get Dipper and in the process got Mink! (grrrrr, kill it!)

Then on the way back to drop people off we had Great Northern Diver! This was a lifer for me. Great day and if you’re on mull you simply must go on this trip with David Woodhouse: http://www.torrbuan.com/frames.htm

Then we went for tea at the Craignure Inn and I asked if we could go back to where we saw the Golden Eagle, so we went back and I got 2 adult Golden Eagle showing fantastic through the binoculars and scope at the same location.

Wednesday 21st April
Went straight back to the Golden Eagle place and got a Golden Eagle again and as usual showing extremely well.
I then headed around the corner and was looking for Peregrine when a White-tailed eagle flew over instead! I thought I would make the most of eagles and left without confirming Peregrine. Headed around toward Tiroran area I got White-tailed eagle after standing around a few hours in the glorious sunshine I was joined by 2 other birders and we had Peregrine overhead, Golden Eagle overhead. Plenty of buzzards and we also had immature Golden Eagle on the ridge that appeared to be chasing Red Deer for a very brief moment! That is a sight to see! We headed around the corner on the Loch Scridain road that approaches the crossroad to go to Glen More and Pennyghael. On this road we had 2 Otters which was the target creature that my Grandma wanted to see. We then headed through Glen More and from the car I saw what I thought was a Female Merlin but didn’t call it as I wasn’t sure. On the road back to Craignure through Glen More we had a male Hen Harrier that flew over the road right in front of the car. We stopped and I got a 10 second view of the bird hunting over the hill. Which was quite good, I would have stopped and watched it longer but Grandma wanted to go, which was fair enough.

Thursday 22nd of April
We moved to a B&B in Pennyghael which was close to the well watched White-tailed eagle site. We went to Iona. I had singing Chiffchaff, Common and Herring Gulls, Swallow was also nice to see. Also I imagine that I had the real, proper Rock Dove. That was flying over the top of Iona’s hills. Anyone know anything about Doves, and Pigeons on Iona?

We then headed out to Staffa. On the way there, back, and on the Island I had: Puffin, Razorbill, Black Guillemot, Guillemot, Fulmar, and on the way back a Great Skua! I believe this is somewhat rare for Mull as we where coming into port at Finnoport. It flew from the distance right close near to boat, then right near the shore and harassed a few local birds. This was also a lifer for me. (I don’t do much sea watching, but want to this year) We then headed for tea, then back to the well watched White-tailed Eagle site for 15-30 minutes or so, where I had White-tailed Eagle.

Friday 23rd of April
This was the final day and I headed for the well watched, and well known White-tailed Eagle site. I had two White-tailed eagles here, I also had an adult White-tailed over on the hill a great distance away, still clearly an adult White-tailed eagle. I then headed along the road toward the Loch Na Keal road where I spotted two birds squabbling in front of the hill. Pulled over the car and I think it was the adult White-tailed that I had over the crag chasing an immature on its territory. Again around to the Peregrine site where I had 2 Peregrines, 1 very briefly. Then along to road to the Golden Eagle site where I had 1 Golden Eagle showing very well. Whilst here, Dave Sexton pulled over in his jeep and had a chat to me about the Eagles and said to give the “Mull Eagle Watch” a ring if I see anything suspicious. I did see something suspicious but………I kept an eye out and everything was ok, I actually nearly sounded the alarm. I then headed up to Tobermory and as we pulled up had a great Iceland Gull in Tobermory harbour. Then along to Grass point where I had practically nothing! Then home on the CalMac.

Hope you enjoyed reading this,
Andrew K

A great trip, an enjoyable read and it seems you have the gift of time travel ;)

We assume you were on Mull the same time as us ie. last week. We have been going to Mull for the past 25 years and just love the place. We always stay in the centre of the island in Salen which is ideal for travelling around the whole of the island. We had a brilliant week with 85 species of birds which did not really include any seabirds apart from gulls and razorbill and black guillemot. Check out our blog on www.laplandmull.blogspot.com for some of our report and pictures from last week. Would recommend you stop off at the red kite center near Doune as it is worth a visit if you ever go up again.

Pictures:- Hooded crow, Redwing, Otter, Iceland Gull, Buzzard.

Attachments

• Hooded Crow_1.jpg
    Hooded Crow_1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Redwing_1.jpg
    Redwing_1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Otter3_1.jpg
    Otter3_1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Iceland gull1_1.jpg
    Iceland gull1_1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 55
  • buzzard_1.jpg
    buzzard_1.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Great indepth report Andrew:t: And sounds like you had a excellent visit, a few weeks time we will be here our selfs again starting off from S/Shields at 4 am in the Morning, cannot wait:t: Plan to go to Iona this time of year ...stopping in the same Cottage as last year.

Last edited:
Great indepth report Andrew:t: And sounds like you had a excellent visit, a few weeks time we will be here our selfs again starting off from S/Shields at 4 am in the Morning, cannot wait:t: Plan to go to Iona this time of year ...stopping in the same Cottage as last year.

Oh well thats awesome!! I hope you have a great time. Maybe you will get a Corncrake.:t:

This years report

Excellent visit as last year, weather kind again only 2 bad mornings and we have caught the sun again on this visit.
Will break the report down a bit as we had loads of highlights and firsts!

Oban Harbour produced close encounters with Black Guilliemots,yards away from the car!

Our only Manxies were seen on the ferry over to the Isle, along with our first s/p Great Northern diver, we encounterd good numbers of these birds around Mull, best count was 11 birds at Loch Beg/Scridan along with a non s/p bird.

Red throated divers only seen on 3 occasions- pair on Loch Scridan, pair same day with the G.N.D.s best count, and one on the Ferry on the way over.

Long eared Owl showed well in the sunshine about half way along Loch Scridan by the roadside!..sitting on a rock. Quick reverse back for this one as the better half said "i think i just seen a Owl".

Encountered Twite better this visit compared to the last one- 9 seen along Loch Scridan on one visit in 3 parties, pairs around Gribun, and around 6 at Fidden.

Hen Harriers- only seen 2 males and only brief views- one above the Gribun area before you reach the conifer forest approaching Loch Beg, and another by Pennyghael.

Cuckoos- heard all over the Isle, seen 2 along the road to Uisken.

Whinchats- 3 along the Uisken road and a one on Iona.

Thats brings me to Corncrake...Visited Iona on Monday with light rain and whilst sitting on a grit bin behind the Fire station (having our tea and butties) we listened to a Corncrake, one give brief glimpses, it latter flew up to the cottage to the south. We heard 5 around the island- one here,one to the south, one to the east and 2 behind the Monastery.(this area is vast compared to the other sites) We viewed it from the shore with no success.

Eagles-
Best count was 5 White tailed one day and 4 Goldies on another.(2 over the cottage one evening)
Excellent scope and bins views, around Loch Scridan,Beg, Grass point and Loch na keal. Also had a W.tailed over Bunessan.
We where lucky enough one day to see 2 Peregrines bombing a Goldie along with Ravens and Hoodies..cracking sight...poor Eagle:eek!:
Ben More area produced nowt on this visit, a pair of Goldies near Pennyghael thro-.

Common Warblers,Sandpiper, Wheatears, Buzzards..etc. plentyfull, a few Golden plovers, only seen 5 Dunlin this visit as Waders except for breeding birds are scarse this time of year.

Mammals-
4 Mountain hares seen on this trip- one at Fidden on the beach here, one on the road to Uisken and 2 young Hares mid way along the road by Loch na keal.
Red Deer- seen only from viewing higher ground most of the week except for Wednesday- they seemed to know this was about the best day of the week weather wise, small herds at most of the places we visited this day and on lower ground.

Otter-
The only ones we seen on this visit where the ones near Pennyghael, it took us 3 days before seeing the first one,s a female with 2 young, and Friday we seen the Dog Otter which showed well.

Great visit, be back next year hopefully.

Attachments

• tn_Black Guillemot.jpg
    tn_Black Guillemot.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 53
  • tn_Black Guillemot 3.jpg
    tn_Black Guillemot 3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 60
  • tn_Cuckoo2.jpg
    tn_Cuckoo2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 57
  • tn_Great northern diver.jpg
    tn_Great northern diver.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 60
  • tn_L.E.Owl.jpg
    tn_L.E.Owl.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 70
More birds

Few other shots...

Attachments

• tn_Whinchats.jpg
    tn_Whinchats.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 74
  • tn_Snipe.jpg
    tn_Snipe.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 46
  • tn_Rock doves.jpg
    tn_Rock doves.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 48
  • tn_Skylark.jpg
    tn_Skylark.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 43
  • tn_Twite.jpg
    tn_Twite.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Mammals

Some really nice encounters.

Attachments

• tn_Mountain hare.jpg
    tn_Mountain hare.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 56
  • tn_Otter 3.jpg
    tn_Otter 3.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 63
  • tn_Red deer.3.jpg
    tn_Red deer.3.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 60
Superb report and pics Seggs. I've been twice and it is the most relaxing location - even without the birds & beasties. They transform it into "Magical Mull"

How were the dreaded midge mate?

Superb report and pics Seggs. I've been twice and it is the most relaxing location - even without the birds & beasties. They transform it into "Magical Mull"

How were the dreaded midge mate?
Really lucky this visit with the Midgies, only one bite! for me this is unheard of, i normally end up on antibiotics when i return home.
But the other half picked up 3 "ticks" that she never bargained for of the sheep type!..due to a desperate call of nature.:-O
Only mention this as a warning...not pleasant !

Nice account Steve and some great birds....you've made me jealous with your twite; dipped on that when I was there last year.

Nice pictures too, I think the winchat one is funny. They look like they've just had an argument.

Joanne

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back