• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

River Rea, Selly Park. In the early morning light there was the glow of the blue of a pair of Kingfisher together, great to see them, had not seen together for some time. I hung back and they flew a small way to another tree. Then they flew to what I think is the nest. One went in whilst the other flew down the river. I had seen one a few times in this area so makes sense it might be the nest. Great!

River Rea, Selly Park. The Kingfisher this morning flew past me on the river and did not seem to notice me. It then appeared to fly into the bank where I still think it might have a late nest.
This weekend I decided to check out the Bourn Brook all the way up to Woodgate but I didn't find anymore KF. This morning there were plenty of birds out feeding in groups mainly tits and chaffinch.
It was then good to hear the Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook.
I have been curious why they cleared the old reservoir area of the Bourn Brook. (I read on the internet that the old reservoir was storage water for the mills that were once on the brook). I did some research on the internet and found that they are planning to use the old reservoir area as a holding pond to prevent flooding further down and on the Rea. Here is the website;
http://www.reacatchmentpartnership.co.uk/extended-information/selly-park-north
This might also prevent KF nest flooding in the future :) great!

Female Kingfisher along Bourn brook by Yachting Pool
Perched up seemed to know each time I raised my camera

Hi Trevor, it was back in March when you saw the above Kingfisher along the Bourn by the boat pond, I've probably looked once or twice a month since then but never got lucky. Imagine my surprise today when I had a last look after checking out Merritt's and Griffin's brook further up and there on a tree perch after the road bridge next to the boat pond was a Kingfisher. It flew off along the Bourn around the boating pond. I heard it calling later on, past Woodbrooke Road.

Before that I had found the Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook, Selly Park by the Queen Elizabeth Island on the A38. This Kingfisher had been further up the Bourn Brook until now, each week getting further down the brook. This is the third year running, one has been in this location in September. Great!

River Rea, Selly Park 07.00 - The Kingfisher flew past me waiting at it's prime spot, I heard it's single call coming and it gave me the two tone call as it went past. Grey Wagtails and LTTs feeding.
Bourn Brook, Selly Oak 08.00 - I was by the bridge and in the distance saw the Kingfisher land on a tree. I got a pretty bad record shot photo but still great!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/29525885771/in/dateposted-public/
Here's a photo of the juvenile Kingfisher that was further up the Bourn Brook last month, not seen it again. Probably frightened off by the about adult KF on this stretch.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/29572317566/in/dateposted-public/

Bromford Road just up from Sandwell and Dudley train station a stream.....maybe River Tame. ..goes under road.Pass it to and from work...it looks a right old mess of a large open culvert with shopping trolley it's only feature.After 7 months of looking a Kingfisher perched on the trolley....looked like had something in the bill...but it went as soon as it saw my head over the bridge wall.

It was perched on the left side of the shopping trolley...2 phone pics I took this evening showing where it was.

Attachments

• 20160915_162948.jpg
    20160915_162948.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 31
  • 20160915_163004.jpg
    20160915_163004.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Bromford Road just up from Sandwell and Dudley train station a stream.....maybe River Tame. ..goes under road.Pass it to and from work...it looks a right old mess of a large open culvert with shopping trolley it's only feature.After 7 months of looking a Kingfisher perched on the trolley....looked like had something in the bill...but it went as soon as it saw my head over the bridge wall.

Nice one Keith, great to hear it. I've seen them in that area on the River Tame, further up at and just before Sheepwash LNR. It's always a matter of time if there's fish. I'm still shocked I saw that one local to me on Valley Parkway. There's been a few sightings over the years but I'd never have guessed I see it by the road. I expected it in the covered section.

Yes they are at the Sheepwash......I have been casually looking for getting on 20 years for any on the canal between Bromford Road and the wash but never had one. Thought they would use it as a motorway but just unlucky I suppose.

Yes they are at the Sheepwash......I have been casually looking for getting on 20 years for any on the canal between Bromford Road and the wash but never had one. Thought they would use it as a motorway but just unlucky I suppose.

Hi Keith, yes, I've met people who have seen and read about sightings on Canals but only seen the one myself on a canal.
My Kingfisher sightings today were the River Rea, Selly Park early morning and then Merecroft Pool this afternoon where the water was very clear. There was also a pair of Jays.

Hi.
I live just beside bourne brook. (5 mins). I shall check it out and let you know if I spot any. I am beside calafornia way. Is it best to check bourne brook walkway near harborne lane and leasow lane?
Kind regards

Hi.
I live just beside bourne brook. (5 mins). I shall check it out and let you know if I spot any. I am beside calafornia way. Is it best to check bourne brook walkway near harborne lane and leasow lane?
Kind regards

Hi there, in the past couple months it's been from Burnel road bridge down to Queen Elizabeth island. Look for it at all bridges and listen for the call behind covered sections.

Last edited:
A great morning for Kingfishers and songbirds;
1) The River Rea, Selly Park Kingfisher was in the usual spot and it flew low over the river, following the stream of water and it might have gone up through an open section of the trees and doubled back. Great flying.
2) I thought I best find the Bourn Brook Kingfisher for ouzel68 and it was in a culvert down the Bourn Brook walkway before Queen Elizabeth Island. I heard it's wings flap as it flew off. There were a few Grey Wagtails on the stones and by the tunnel chasing some songbird I couldn't make out.
3) The River Rea, Wychall, Kingfisher landed right in front of me and I could see it was an adult male. Great viewing!
That was three Kingfisher in less than an hour.
There might have been another calling over Valley Parkway, I could not pick it out flying over. There was a Heron in the brook that flew off.
Finally there was a Buzzard getting mobbed by crows over Merecroft. Great!

Hey Zomerset,
Cheers for that info. Couldn't make as i was house moving my daughter..knackered.lol.
Just got into photography and would love to get some photos.
Impressed with yours by the way as i know how skittish they can be.
Thanks again.
Kind regards

BITTELL RESERVOIR.....3PM...Just arrived at causeway on Lower and crept up to hedge by overflow from Shrub Mill and slowly looked over and a King took flight...it was either on the concrete edge or on a bullrush...it swung around and off across left then up over bank on to the river...it had a fish in its bill......hung around a bit and it never showed again.

4PM...up onto Upper and as I walked along the dam towards the boats a King flew same way then up over the dam down the field before shooting over the trees just past the old pump house towards either the ponds or back along the stream towards Mill Shrub.

Caught up with it bit later at the ponds...it kept just in front of me as I walked along the private road.

Dont know if it was 2 different Kings but just great to see them whizzing around.

Attachments

• Canon 2016 SEPT 4 079 a.jpg
    Canon 2016 SEPT 4 079 a.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Canon 2016 SEPT 4 114 a.jpg
    Canon 2016 SEPT 4 114 a.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 139
Bourn Brook walkway this afternoon, a pair of Gwp, a few grey wagtails, kf size fish and a kingfisher want past calling. Great! They have started work on the flood relief scheme. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

River Rea, Selly Oak, this morning a heron, grey wagtails and a Kingfisher.
Then on the Bourn, Valley Parkway a Kingfisher flew overhead calling on it's way to Woodbrooke, next door. Great!

The River Rea, Selly Park was fast flowing and muddy from the overnight rain. The Kingfisher flew to a low hanging oak tree over the river and dived and caught a fish before flying back up the river. Great!

My first Kingfisher this afternoon on Griffins Brook, Manor Farm Park. Although there was a recent report, I was surprised to see it. It flew past with a fish and then headed towards the lake. Later it flew back down, calling loudly as it went round the corner of the brook. Great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back