• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A ''Minor'' problem? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Part of last night's catch, am assuming that this is a member of the above group?.....I'm struggling to assign it. :eek!:

Many thanks

Attachments

• P1310500.jpeg   Odd Moth June 10th.jpg
    P1310500.jpeg Odd Moth June 10th.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 90
It's certainly one of the Minors (Marbled/Tawny Marbled/Rufous) but not really identifiable down to species level without dissection. I record these just as 'Oligia sp'.

David

It's certainly one of the Minors (Marbled/Tawny Marbled/Rufous) but not really identifiable down to species level without dissection. I record these just as 'Oligia sp'.

David

Agreed and our recorder won't accept specific records without dissection.

Andy

How easy it is to get these dissected? By that I mean sending them off, not "DIY"!

Not sure anyone would offer as they're all common species so not much to be gained but your county recorder probably knows someone who could do it for you locally.

Andy

I think it would be cool to have the 3 minors and rustics confirmed by dissection at least once. After that it just becomes more of a novelty I suppose. Unless you really hate marking down "agg".

How many would you have to do to be certain how many of the 3 you see, could go on forever?

Andy

Andy

You can select on the basis of morphological characters and timing and be relatively happy of the full suite of species within a small sample. The tricky one is Rufous Minor where you should resist temptation until you get an extreme indicator from a likely habitat.

I would expect to be able to do the three minors and the two rustics in less than ten moths.

I'd also aim to select males and avoid gravid females if possible.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back