• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binocular to keep? (1 Viewer)

justin2992

I have a Zeiss 10x42 FL, a Leica 10x42 BL, and a Leica 8/12x42 Duovid. Anyone who has owned two or more of these, please help me decide which to keep and which to sell. None of them is the ideal binocular but I have my own individual preferences for each one.

Zeiss 10x42 FL
Like: Marginally the best optics, most pleasant focus
Dislike: Bigger than the others, aesthetically wanting compared to Leica

Leica 10x42 BL
Like: Lightest and smallest, leather hard-shell case
Dislike: the leather covering lifts/peels up at seems, not as bright as the FL's, slight backlash in the focus

Leica 8/12x42 Duovid
Like: 12x in a small binocular, most comfortable eyecups and best rainguard I've seen, oozes quality craftsmanship
Dislike: heavy, not as bright as FL's

In other words I really love all three of these but would really like to narrow it down to one. I have made some progress as I used to also have a Swaro EL 10x42, a Nikon LXL 8x32, and a Zeiss FL 10x32. I gave the Zeiss to my dad and sold the other two.

Attachments

• L1000234small.jpg
    L1000234small.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 259
That's really something you'll need to decide.

I love my 10x42 BLs. I take them almost everywhere, and the small form factor of the clamshell is one of the reasons. I have not had any problems with the leather peeling off. I've owned mine for some time now...

I have not tried the duovids, but I prefer my Ultravids to the FL.

Blackstart said:
Have you considered a 12-step program?

Adam

Justin,
Pay no attention! Birding Binoculars are a perfectly sane subject of discussion. It is when you are trying to distinguish between a Cooper's Hawk and a Sharpshin Hawk when you will most feel the need for a 12 step program. To that end I offer "Accipiter's Anonymous" as a cure although it is best to refrain from all discussion on the subject to avoid it's abyss.

Cordially
Bob
Founder: Accipiter's Anonymous
:'D :'D

Sell the Leicas, keep the Zeiss and buy a Leica 8x32BR (just find a sample with smooth focuser). The brightest and most compact means two pairs of binoculars.

Ilkka :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back