• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod advice for Zeiss scope (1 Viewer)

Andrea-Bologna

I have a Manfrotto tripod which weights 2,4 kg, and is, when extended, 118 – 140 cm high. I use it for my Zeiss 85TFL scope (kg 2) and a compact ball head from Manfrotto.
I want to buy a better tripod, especially a faster and safer one when you have to lock the legs once it's extended.
It'd be nice to find also a better head, I found out that my “compact ball” in not so useful for birding.
I have been told that buying online (I live in Italy) a Velbon or Benro tripod 'd be a good idea.
Any suggestion, i.e. about which model??

Andrea,

We also use a Zeiss 85, combined with a carbon fibre Benro C-257 M8 tripod, and a Manfrotto 128RC head.

I find the 1/4 turn twist-lock legs on the Benro more secure than flip locks, and the 3cm spikes on the legs (switchable with rubber tips) are great for anchoring the scope in wind gusts.

The 128RC is a fluid head which doesn't need to be locked down -- set the pan and tilt knobs, and the scope stays where you point it, ready to move without further adjustment.

Last edited:
I have the Zeiss 85mm Victory Diascope together with the Manfrotto carbon fibre MN055 tripod and the Manfrotto MN701 HDV head.Very secure and even in very strong winds near Tarifa with legs splayed out is very stable. Regards Eddy.

Velbon or Benro more ideas?

Thanx for the replies, I'd like to know more about good Velbon or Benro tripods for birding scopes (it doesn't matter if you don't have a Zeiss)

Don't have this scope but I use a Gitzo GT 2531 with a Manfrotto 701HDV head - not a cheap setup but with what you have spent on the scope why put it on a bendy tripod?

I finally had some time to take a further look in the web.... when looking for reviews it's rather hard to find spotting scope users, I mean most of the reviewers are photographers. Anyway, can this Benro Travel Angel II C1682TB0 be OK for a birding scope as my Zeiss?
It's 4 section, Maximum Load 8 kg... maybe there's something as good but cheaper? I guess so, there're so many to choose....
Also, actually I don't need the head, but it they seem to always sell the head with the tripod, I find this odd.

I finally had some time to take a further look in the web.... when looking for reviews it's rather hard to find spotting scope users, I mean most of the reviewers are photographers. Anyway, can this Benro Travel Angel II C1682TB0 be OK for a birding scope as my Zeiss?
It's 4 section, Maximum Load 8 kg... maybe there's something as good but cheaper? I guess so, there're so many to choose....
Also, actually I don't need the head, but it they seem to always sell the head with the tripod, I find this odd.

I think you would be disappointed with this tripod, it is simply too light and flexible.
Remember that with a spotting scope you are not worried about the weight rating of the tripod as scopes are very light. The problem is the magnification! The Gitzo 2531 I suggested is the MINIMUM that I use for my spotting scope, whenever possible I use one of my heavier (more rigid tripods). I am mainly a photographer and find that even my Canon 800mm F5.6 lens is easy to support when compared to my Kowa spotting scope as the scope gives much higher magnification and therefore need a VERY rigid tripod to reduce excessive vibration.

I agree with John. The 25mm diameter top leg is too small for an 85mm scope. I actually have a Travel Angel the next size up with a 28mm top leg. This is barely adequate for my Kowa 88. But I bought it for travel use only. When close to home I prefer my 34mm top leg tripod.

Beside the tripod, the head support you choose is perhaps even more important. Really needs something in the Gitzo G2380 class.

I'd also recommend going for three-part rather than four-part legs. Three extension are both more solid in use (the thinnest section is not as thin, one fewer joint) and quicker to set up and take down. The only drawback is longer length when packed, but most three-part legs are not that long anyway.

Otherwise the recommendations you have gotten above are good. Do get a fluid-damped video head like the Manfrotto 128 or 701 HDV recommended above.

Kimmo

Interesting, I admit I ignore a lot of issues about tripods for birdwatching with scopes.... the Benro web site is not helpful about having a scope on their tripods :-(
When I'll have a clearer idea I'll write here!

Ciao Andrea,

A consideration when deciding on a tripod, is the highest power you will use. I use a 30x on my 85 mm Diascope, but if I used the 20-60x zoom, I would need a sturdier tripod than my Behrlebach.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
A consideration when deciding on a tripod, is the highest power you will use. I use a 30x on my 85 mm Diascope, but if I used the 20-60x zoom, I would need a sturdier tripod than by Behrlebach.

Ummm I happen to use 60X too, of course. Problem is that my Zeiss is not so good at 60X , the side of the view (pardon my english!) in not in bright focus

Ummm I happen to use 60X too, of course. Problem is that my Zeiss is not so good at 60X , the side of the view (pardon my english!) in not in bright focus

I don't know what the secondhand market is like in Italy, but I picked up a used Gitzo 1329 Mk2 for about 120 Euros. It is an older version of the Gitzo Cabon 3 series systematic and is a bit heavier than the newer version (but the same weight as the very latest version), it is a bit of a lump at 2.2 Kilos but gives a very stable platform for your scope. The Gitzo 2531 I mentioned is fine for general use or where weight (1.4 Kilo) is important and is far better than anything the local Birders use. I cannot understand why people spend thousands on a scope and then skimp on the support.
You have a fine scope there, make sure you get the best out of it.

Interesting, I admit I ignore a lot of issues about tripods for birdwatching with scopes.... the Benro web site is not helpful about having a scope on their tripods :-(
When I'll have a clearer idea I'll write here!

Andrea,

If you're using the www.benro.com site, go to < Products >; then < Classic Carbon Series >. The first list shows 3 and 4 section twist-lock tripods from lightest to heaviest. The second list shows flip-lock tripods.

If you cursor down to the second < C2570T > (For some reason or other the first listing of this tripod is blank.) Click on this tripod. The information is very extensive, including 9 different attributes of the tripod: folded length (relevant for fitting in checked luggage); normal extended height; maximum extended height; maximum weight it will support; and so on.

Apart from its other features, the top plate has 3 grub screws that securely attach a tripod head, preventing it from loosening on the centre bolt of the tripod.

IMO, this is the optimum size of tripod for a full-sized scope.

Mike

Last edited:
Manfrotto 190XV ?

today I found this Manfrotto 190XV in a nearby store
http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/view-aluminium-tripod
it's not too expensive and it seemed ok while I was in the shop.
Now actually I wonder about the legs tube diameters: 25. 20. 16 mm , they are too thin maybe?
Also it's aluminium made.
I was thinking of buying this one , maybe with a Manfrotto 128RC head... but I'm actually still thinking about it.
I can't find some Benro to try in real in my area, it seems....

Last edited:
Andrea,

Manfrotto makes good tripods. In Ontario, you'll see some birders using the 190 with a full-sized scope, because of its relatively lighter weight. More often birders here are using the next size up, the 055. You can compare these two tripods in detail on the Manfrotto site.

Lots of birders like the fliplock leg system; its only downside is that the amount of necessary locking tension changes over time, and then a leg will slowly collapse through the fliplock that requires tightening. (Manfotto provides an Allen key to tighten the fliplock tension.) Usually this need to be tightened happens just as you're setting up for a good bird.

On the Benro site, it appears that there is a distributor of Benro tripods in Italy, with address and telephone. It's very common here for retailers to carry a limited inventory, based on what they think will sell. If you want something else, you need to special order it -- and then if it's not suitable, you're stuck with it. If you're near the distributor, you may want to have a conversation wth them about dropping by to look at the Benros.

Mike

Thanx again Mike, your messages are very inspiring.
Well, I live in a rather big city and actually there's someone who have some Benro stuff too, I was not accurate in my previous post.

So far I think that:
Manfrotto 190XV: Ok price, weight and size when folded, 3 sections; not too good: legs tube diameters (25. 20. 16 mm), aluminium made.
Manfrotto X 055: better legs tube diameters, 3 sections ; not too good: 2.3 kg weight; too big when folded (61 cm), aluminium made.

Benro C2580T: OK: carbon made, only 1,49 kg., ok legs tube diameters, 52 cm once folded, more regulations than Manfrotto. Not too good: 4 sections; more expensive than Manfr.
Benro C2570T: OK: carbon made, only 1,46 kg., ok legs tube diameters, more regulations than Manfrotto; 3 sections. Not too good: 64 cm once folded; more expensive than Manfr.

The next week I can try a 2580T anyway.... I'll do it if I will not buy the 190XV before!

About the head, I tried the Manfrotto 128RC which is very good, apart form the weight.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back