Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hen Harrier's as we all should be able to see them.

Old Wednesday 25th July 2018, 16:49   #1
barontan2418

Hen Harrier's as we all should be able to see them.

It's taken me three visits to a well known Lancashire site but today all was proved worth while. Six harriers, more than I've seen in the England in such a long time. Four juveniles enjoying their recently earned freedom, visited occasionally by the adult female and a 5th juvenile who was showing a red/orange tag appearing once amongst then . They appeared frequently and were practicing their hunting techniques and dive bombing each other, such a wonderful sight. I just didn't want to leave. May sound sad but before I left I wished then all the luck in the world. My thoughts were just how many of them would get the chance to return to these moors next breeding season?

Written by John Denver.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 26th July 2018, 18:55   #2
Boom

I hope this is the place I'm thinking about, after quite a few quiet years, this is fantastic news. Hope they are allowed to flourish.
Old Friday 27th July 2018, 07:24   #3
wolfbirder

Sounds quite wonderful!!
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Saturday 28th July 2018, 18:39   #4
barontan2418

Wonderful indeed. I too hope they are allowed to survive

Written by John Denver.

Old Sunday 29th July 2018, 17:50   #5
wolfbirder

Too true, my best ever birding experience in 20 years of birding was watching that beautiful male Pallid Harrier in this region last Spring.
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Tuesday 31st July 2018, 20:16   #6
pratincol

News on Radio Cumbria tonight another pair have raised 4 chicks which have fledged. In a secret location in Yorkshire Dales National Park,on a grouse estate.
Apparently 9 pairs have all succeeded in breeding in Northern England this year.
Old Tuesday 31st July 2018, 21:25   #7
barontan2418

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratincol View Post
News on Radio Cumbria tonight another pair have raised 4 chicks which have fledged. In a secret location in Yorkshire Dales National Park,on a grouse estate.
Apparently 9 pairs have all succeeded in breeding in Northern England this year.
It appears several nests were on farmland and not moorland. Is this right?

Written by John Denver.

Old Tuesday 31st July 2018, 23:36   #8
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barontan2418 View Post
It appears several nests were on farmland and not moorland. Is this right?
Yep.

More details:
https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wo...england-again/
Old Wednesday 1st August 2018, 05:56   #9
pratincol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Interesting. The Radio Cumbria report didn't mention that.
Old Wednesday 1st August 2018, 07:07   #10
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratincol View Post
Interesting. The Radio Cumbria report didn't mention that.
No surprise - influence behind the scenes from vested interests of grouse moor owners.
Old Wednesday 1st August 2018, 15:03   #11
pratincol

A report from the local press about the Yorkshire birds.
Note what happened to the Red Kite.

ONE of the UK’s most persecuted birds of prey, the hen harrier, has successfully bred in the Yorkshire Dales National Park for the first time since 2007.

A pair has produced four chicks, which fledged in mid-July in the South Lakeland part of the Park.

The birds nested in a large area of rush on upland pasture primarily used for livestock grazing, with the local shooting estate having rights over it.

Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority (YDNPA) officers have monitored the nest site since early May, working closely with Natural England and the landowner. Cumbria Police has offered behind the scenes support.

Natural England has attached satellite tags to two of the birds so their movements can be tracked.

Two hen harriers attempted to nest in the Yorkshire Dales National Park last year, but both attempts were thought to have failed because of natural predation.

YDNPA chairman Carl Lis said: “It is a source of joy, and relief, that hen harriers have at last bred again successfully in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. These are magnificent birds, ideally suited to the Dales, and their long absence has shamed us all.

“Despite the brilliant news about the hen harriers, we shouldn’t forget that it has been only a few weeks since a red kite was found shot dead in the south of the national park.

“I would urge members of the public to pass on any information they might have to North Yorkshire Police.

“Grouse shooting concerns, conservation bodies, the police and local wildlife groups must continue to pull together.”
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: