• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

connecting to wifi with smartphones/tablets with Belkin Router (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi all

I've got a Belkin F5D8236-4 wireless router. I've had no trouble connecting tow laptops to it, but I've completely failed with my HTC smartphone and a friend has failed with a iPhone. I've just got a Nexus 7 and that won't connect either! All devices find the network, they just don't connect!

I really would appreciate any help.

Cheers

Steve

The HTC Wildfire phone I had, needed to link up by cable the first time round so the phone could download a program to the PC. Once that was done and the program was running you could then link by wifi.

Thanks Keith, the Wildfire has always connected to other wireless networks without any trouble. I can cope with the phones; it's the Nexus that's the real problem. I've just got it for my birthday and I'm unable to use it!

Hi Steve,
I don't know the Nexus or your router so this is just a guess.
First, the nexus does connect to other open wifi, your library, mates etc ?
My guess is your router is set for WPA, change this to WPA2.
The admin page for your router is probably 192.168.2.1.
My only other thought is your security is not by MAC by any chance or you have MAC plus WPA turned on ?
As I said just guessing but it should be something pretty easy to fix with a bit of a fiddle.
Have a good one.

Grahame

Many thanks for your reply. I don't know if the Nexus works elsewhere; I literally got it last night. But I'm sure it's a router problem as I've had this problem with other phones/ipods, but never with a laptop/netbook. My router was set for WPA and I've changed that to WPA2. Unfortunately still neither my Nexus or Smartphone will connect. I've attached pictures of my settings - minus password.

Regards

Steve

Attachments

• setting .jpg
    setting .jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 100
  • security.jpg
    security.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 66
Another guess bites the dust !!
My next thought was a firmware update, but you have the latest according to the Belkin site.

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/306/~/f5d8236-4-n-wireless-router---firmware

It could be worth asking them a question, links on the above page.
It's possibly the age of the router, things tec change a lot in 3 yrs.
If the HTC and an iPhone won't connect as well.
The way of the world isn't it, we update one toy which makes another toy obsolete, so we update that one and round and round we go.
The joys of a consumer society.
Happy sluthing.

I appreciate you trying! It's driving me mad. I've tried numerous searches on the internet. Ho hum, may have to get the wallet out again. It's not just the money it's the hassle. I had real trouble setting up the wireless in the first place: for no obvious reason. May try another brand. If anyone else has any suggestions I'd be most grateful!

Cheers

Steve
I am using a netgear N-300 wireless router HERE
We run 2 laptops, 3 desktops and 4 smart phones through this router without any bother. Simplicity to set up and so far extremely reliable, over 12 months old and no hiccups so far. (famous last words:-O)

Steve
I am using a netgear N-300 wireless router HERE
We run 2 laptops, 3 desktops and 4 smart phones through this router without any bother. Simplicity to set up and so far extremely reliable, over 12 months old and no hiccups so far. (famous last words:-O)

Keith

Thanks. I'm going to give it a day or two and then I may well order your recommendation.

Cheers

Steve

Keith and Grahame. Thanks to both of you for trying to help. I've decided I don't have enough time to waste any more on it and haven't ordered the router recommended by Keith.

Cheers

Probably too late to try if you have already received your new router but in the past when I've had problems with my Belkin f5d9230-4 router I would "reset" it or just disconnect then reconnect power to it. Always has worked for me when some wifi devices couldn't/wouldn't connect. :)

phil

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back