• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX1 IS Super Zoom (1 Viewer)

RJM

Don't Worry, Be Happy!
A few weeks ago, I walked our local seaside park with a new friend who was using the Canon SX1 IS optical 20x super zoom. I was so impressed with the pics he was getting from such a tiny camera that I went and bought one for my wife. She likes nature photography but never wanted to carry a lens larger than a 200mm lens on her Nikon D40. Yesterday was her first day with it.

I think this camera offers a very compelling alternative to dSLRs with long telephotos lens in good light. I was especially impressed with the "trick" digital zoom between 20x-80x (80x or fl=2240mm!) that imposes no loss of image quality when shot at 640x480 rez.

Of course, the EVF and relatively slow focusing imposes some shooting penalties. But once you learn to work within the camera's limitations I think it can take some very nice pics! Even better now that Canon has announced RAW support in a firmware update due in mid-March!

The pics below were adjusted in Canon's Zoom browser. Title reflects effective focal length of the shot. Anything over 500mm used the digital zoom.

Attachments

• Grey Heron 438mm.jpg
    Grey Heron 438mm.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 533
  • Grey Heron 900mm.jpg
    Grey Heron 900mm.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 588
  • Japanese White Eye 500mm.jpg
    Japanese White Eye 500mm.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 527
  • Wigeon 700mm.JPG
    Wigeon 700mm.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 655
  • Common Teal  2240mm.JPG
    Common Teal 2240mm.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 620
These things are really getting there! Thanks for sharing. dpreview (my favorite review site) has been very slow on posting reviews lately. Hopefully they'll catch up soon but there seem to be several superzooms out there now that are very compelling!

A few more pics taken yesterday by my wife showing how well the "trick" digital zoom does. I wish she would have taken more at full rez so I could have taken some crop comparisons but it's her camera and she prefers the longer zoom capability over higher rez since she doesn't print.

Effective focal length shown in pic title. Anything over 560mm uses "lossless" digital zoom at 640x480 rez. Direct from camera with no processing.

cheers,
Rick

Attachments

• Japanese White Eye 784mm.JPG
    Japanese White Eye 784mm.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 637
  • Little Egret 1008mm.JPG
    Little Egret 1008mm.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 419
  • White Wagtail 2240mm.JPG
    White Wagtail 2240mm.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 470
Hi RJM,

Seems that the digital zoom works pretty good (which is great, because you can not add a teleconverter to the SX1). I like very much the pic with the Japanese White Eye (which is obviously an unknown species for me...).
I have a Canon PowerShot S3 IS camera (I bought it in the summer of 2007). I've used it extensively, so I suppose that soon "will died". I also have an Olympus E-520 camera, but I think that I will always need a back-up camera, and SX1 seems to be a good option... Maybe I will buy one next year...

Last edited:
Hi Cristian,

FYI, the camera also has a 2.3x digital TC function that allows full resolution shots at 2.3x the optical focal length. When enabled, the SX1 becomes a 2.3x-46x or fl=64.4-1288mm lens at full 3648 x 2736 rez.

It is this digital TC feature, and not the "trick" function, that is hyped on the Japanese SX1 website. According to the manual, "Digital zoom is fixed at the selected zoom factor, and the focal length shifts to maximum telephoto. This enables a faster shutter speed and less chance of camera shake than a shot taken at the same angle of view with Standard Zoom." No mention about loss of image quality.

Looking back at my pics, it seems to work pretty well too I think. When I first got the camera I shot some pics with the 2.3x enabled. See the pic below. Unfortunately, I had not read the manual thoroughly and had it confused with the "trick" function so shot at a lower 1600x1200 rez. This may be even better than the "trick" function since there are more pixels available for tight crops.

I should also say the lens is threaded for 52mm filters, so it could be possible to fit an optical TC, but it would literally hang by a thread and I would be worried the extra weight would strain the zoom motor.

Rick

Attachments

• Japanese White Eye 2.3x Digital TC (800x600).jpg
    Japanese White Eye 2.3x Digital TC (800x600).jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 504
Thank you for the information RJM.
Lensmate makes an adapter (58 mm) for SX1 and SX10 cameras. As you can see here:
http://lensmateonline.com/newsite/SX10SX1.html
this adapter ring could be used for a filter or for macro lens (not for a teleconverter).

I have a lensamte adapter for my SX10is -they were great to deal with and the adapter works well [it fits on the bayonet fitting that is used for the lenshood that comes with the sx10is and sx1is.

I use it for a UV and polarising filter and close up lenses
Some folk have been forcing a thread on the sx10is and sx1is. with a 52mm filter which seems to work ok [I personally wouldn't take the risk of messing it up though]. I suspect forcing a thread will void the warranty if the camera ever needs to go back to canon.

alison

A few more taken by my wife with SX1 yesterday using the 2.3x digital TC function (~fl=1280mm) handheld. The buzzard was ~120m distant too! Surprising from a camera with only a 40mm objective lens I think.

Rick

Attachments

• Common Buzzard.jpg
    Common Buzzard.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 633
  • Dusky thrush.jpg
    Dusky thrush.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 577
  • Brown-eared Bulbul.jpg
    Brown-eared Bulbul.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 460
I am very interested to know how this camera compares with the Nikon p90 and Olympus zu590, I am considering getting one to put in my car all the time. Anyone got an experience to share?

Anybody compared the sx10 to the sx1? Is the CMOS sensor much better? Does the sx10 have the same digital zoom function? And I don't understand how the digital zoom function is better than cropping on the computer. The sx1, available soon in the US, is not quite twice the price of the sx10.

Thank you Jim

Camera Labs has reviews of both SX10 and SX1. The advantages of the digital 2.3x TC function quickly become apparent in field use. Very different from cropping later in PC. Too bad the reviews really don't expand on the various digital zoom modes as they are pretty cool and don't seem to impose a significant image quality penalty when used, especially at distance <40m, unlike the digital zooms of other digicams I've used.

The 4.5 fps (fast as my D90 dSLR) continous shooting of the SX1 is a big adavantage for getting sharp pics of small, fidgety and fast moving birds like the Japanese White Eye. The HD video is very useful for me too and mitigates the want for another gadget. It will interesting to see what improvements the impending firmware update due any day now brings besides RAW.

Rick

Last edited:
Camera Labs has reviews of both SX10 and SX1. The advantages of the digital 2.3x TC function quickly become apparent in field use. Very different from cropping later in PC. Too bad the reviews really don't expand on the various digital zoom modes as they are pretty cool and don't seem to impose a significant image quality penalty when used, especially at distance <40m, unlike the digital zooms of other digicams I've used.

Can you elaborate on how the digital TC feature of the SX1 is "very different" from cropping later in PC?

The 4.5 fps (fast as my D90 dSLR) continous shooting of the SX1 is a big adavantage for getting sharp pics of small, fidgety and fast moving birds like the Japanese White Eye. The HD video is very useful for me too and mitigates the want for another gadget. It will interesting to see what improvements the impending firmware update due any day now brings besides RAW.

Rick

Rick,

The link to the camera reviews was good--very informative. For me the CMOS sensor is worth the extra cost of the SX1.

I carry an XTi with me traveling. I carry either a 300f4 for birds or a short zoom for landscape. Invariably, I carry the wrong lens. Always wish I had room for both in my roller bag, but have to draw the line somewhere. I'm looking forward to playing with this versatle camera, and I'll have room to carry my underwear. :eek!:

I sent off for the SX1. The order will be filled when the camera becomes available in the US. Thank you for the information.

Jim

I think you will like it, Jim. A year ago, I would have never bought a super zoom. They didn't have the size benefit of a pocket-cam, nor the image quality of an entry dSLR. But the technology has advanced dramatically since last Summer. With decent light and at distances under 40m, the camera can make excellent images for A4 prints and viewing on an HD rez TV. Hardest part is getting adjusted to the EVF and the slower focus compared to using a dSLR.

BTW, the RAW firmware update was released in Asia today.

cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
Your money, your decision, Jim. The price difference in Tokyo is only $100 so the additional features for $470 total were worth it for us. BTW, I think we get ~400 non-flash shots out of a set of the rechargeable Sanyo Eneloops and an 12-pack is only $15.

Playing with the RAW today, there are some compromises. All digital zoom modes are disabled and the continuous shooting speed falls off with 7 shots pausing filling the buffer. Difficult to follow any flying birds. Given how good the camera JPEG is, not sure if RAW is worth the compromises.

Upside of RAW is if you make a mistake with exposure, white balance, and color, etc. you fix it in software without compromising image quality. The camera can also record RAW + Large Fine JPEG.

The Canon Digital Photo Professional software needed to edit the new RAW format seems to be decent with lots of control. Also need to upgrade ZoomBrowser EX to v6.3.1 for it to decode the new RAW files.

All for now,
Rick

Last edited:
Your money, your decision, Jim. The price difference in Tokyo is only $100 so the additional features for $470 total were worth it for us. BTW, I think we get ~400 non-flash shots out of a set of the rechargeable Sanyo Eneloops and an 12-pack is only $15.

I am getting around 1000 shots with a set of eneloops in my SX10is .
I've been noting down the numbers since i got the camera and the battery life is fabulous. One set of eneloops gets about 1000 and the other gets over 1100.

I don't have the sony charger-i use one i had previously bought from lidl which seems to work really well.

alison

After installing the firmware update, I shot alot of RAW this weekend and think I will stick with the SX1 camera JPEGs. Frankly, I am a little puzzled as when the camera is set to take RAW + JPEG Large Fine, both the RAW file and JPEG appear to have identical quality. But the RAW alone is never as good as my own custom JPEG settings. No matter how I tweaked the RAW files in the Canon DPP RAW editor, I could not get output that was as as nice as camera JPEG. The RAW pics just lack the sharpness of the JPEG Large Superfine and Custom Contrast +1 and Saturation +1.

So unless you regularly blow the exposure, I would say there is no point in using RAW. Not worth the loss of features, slower continuous shooting speeds, huge files or the processing effort. And correct exposure should be adjusted in the field anyway. Maybe if the RAW could be processed with a different converter the results might be better.

somewhat disappointed,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back