• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female house finch and...(Arizona) (1 Viewer)

AdAstra09

Hi, all:

Two more birds from Arizona. The first I think is a female house finch (based on beak, barring on the breast and the fact I saw a male house finch in this same tree an hour earlier. The second is of a bird that was way up in the trees in the zoo. I didn't think I got a shot of them they were moving so fast, but I was going through my stream, and lo and behold a single shot! Whatever these birds are they are tiny, yellowish green, and there are a ton of them at the Phoenix zoo. Also, I have two questions. A couple of months ago, I was seeing male and female HOSP. Now I only see groups of males wherever I go. Are the females just super discreet, or do males and females split up during the winter. And lastly, I know this is a bird forum, but does anyone recognize what kind of tree is in the last two shots? I ask because it is in my apartment complex and thus far I have seen 5 species of birds eating the seeds: house finches, house sparrows, verdin, inca dove, and one unidentified that I have not managed to photograph.

Attachments

• female house finch.jpg
    female house finch.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 76
  • zoo bird.jpg
    zoo bird.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 86
  • wildlife tree I.jpg
    wildlife tree I.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 78
  • wildlife tree II.jpg
    wildlife tree II.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 78
From what I can see, the first pic looks good for female House Finch. Second bird looks to be a Yellow-rumped Warbler of the Audubon's variety. I believe your tree is a Chinese Elm, Ulmus parvifolia. This species sets copious amounts of fruit favored by a wide variety of birds -- I've seen parrots dining on it in Australia.

Agree on the birds, but not so sure about the tree which strikes me as a little too smooth-barked for a Chinese elm, at least for the ones I have in my backyard. The seeds & leaves look good for Chinese elm, however.

Thanks for the info re: birds and tree. I like to keep note of all the wildlife friendly trees for when I finally have my own house. And I never would have guessed the the yellow rumped warbler. Just goes to show how skewed perception can be. I would have sworn that the bird was completely yellow, yet looking at my own photos it's clear the back is grey. Go figure.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back