• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shearwater Estate, Whitburn List (1 Viewer)

Was working from home today and a treat was an Asio owl being chased through the garden by a Magpie, in the very brief initial view I thought it was a Long-eared, but seconds proved it to be a Short-eared.

61. Short-eared Owl
62. Goldcrest

Quiet in the garden over the weekend, but a call from Mark Newsome got me onto the latest addition as it hung in the air over the coastal park.

63. Common Buzzard

Eiders have been thin on the ground of late and they often pass so close as to be out of view from the house, so it was good to get 4 passing this morning.

64. Eider

The fog seems to have dropped some birds in, unfortunately I am at work so cannot see them, but advised that Redwing, Fieldfare, Brambling and Pheasant have all put in an appearance in the garden this morning. I have already heard the first three of those, just need to see them myself to add them to the list.

Hope you are at home today . . . . . . .

Unfortunately not I left for Borneo 2 hours before the Pallid Swifts were seen over the Shearwater Estate. Missed good opportunities for Little Auk too, but at least managed to add Pheasant on my return. Cannot really complain though as Borneo was great with Bornean Ground Cuckoo, 7 Pittas, 5 Frogmouths and many other good birds.

69. Pheasant

Up to 10 Tree Sparrows in the garden daily at the moment, cleaning out the feeders quite quickly, which today had the advantage of having me restocking the feeders when a Woodcock flew through the garden.

70. Woodcock

With the chance of a Little Auk seeming good I spent a couple of hours seawatching from the house this afternoon, which really turned out well. As well as the additions to the list it was great to see a couple of Blue Fulmars and Little Gulls and take my house year list to 35 species.

71. Mallard
72. Brent Goose (Dark-bellied)
73. Shelduck
74. Little Auk

Had hopes for a new raptor in nice conditions, whilst no such luck a pair of Peregrines overhead was nice. I did however get an addition to the list.

77. Sand Martin

A long overdue garden tick this morning, particularly because my parents had seen two in my garden a few weeks ago whilst they were visiting and I was out and about.

78. Siskin

The 58th species of the year was a garden tick, well it was actually it was about 500 metres away but seen from the house this morning.

79. Arctic Tern

I have been working on improving the garden for wildlife, but it is going to be a long slog. Have taken up nearly 200 paving slabs and now beginning to dig out the hard core underneath. It will be worth it when it is done, but some back-breaking work to be completed before then. Nothing new in the garden, but this morning a brief seawatch added 2 new species.

80. Puffin
81. Ringed Plover

An afternoon's gardening really paid dividends today when I saw two interesting birds coming south. Grabbed bins and could immediately see they were the best birds since I moved into the house..

82. Glossy Ibis

I missed the Barnacle Geese passing yesterday, but I did manage a flock of around 50 Canada Geese at 9.30pm last night presumably heading to Scotland to moult.

83. Canada Geese

Users who are viewing this thread

Back