• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Modern art. (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

Hi all,
I've recently been trying my hand at a bit of modern art mainly to try to teach myself about mixing and using colours in acrylics.......the exercise proved useful in that I was free to portray the birds how I wanted and not how they normally appear!
Here are the results.....I'd appreciate any opinions.thanks,
Best wishes,

Attachments

• Autumnal Green Woodpeckers.jpg
    Autumnal Green Woodpeckers.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Barn Owl.jpg
    Barn Owl.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 144
Interesting Ruth.
I like the Woodpeckers a lot.
In the owl I would continue with the darker lines that you have in the wings throughout the body where a color meets with another color. Does that make sense?

The work I do is very much along these lines, except I do it on pottery with only a black slip/glaze. I think it frees you up to think even more about the composition and even the feelings you want to evoke when one looks at the picture. Or I could just be getting in deep here.

Anyway, I think these two paintings are pretty neat.
Thanks for sharing!

Best
Elizabeth

It's a joy to paint without the constraint of making what you paint exactly like the image of what you're representing. In ignoring the superficial image, you tap into the essence behind the image and it is that you express. Gauguin said that you must study nature and paint an 'abstraction', rather than copy exactly what is there. Well done on two very joyful pieces.

I like them too ruth!

Those vivid colours and the stylized birds remind me of 16th century embroidery and tapestry work.Also a bit of william morris in their too!

Matt

Thanks all for your kind comments....
Yes I see what you mean re darker lines Elizabeth,thanks.
Nice quote Nick....I'll remember that!!
Glad you like it John,I'll keep trying!
William Morris!! Wow....thanks Matt!!
Best wishes,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back