• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht focus indexing (1 Viewer)

Mask of Porro

Hi, I have a new 7x42GA Habicht and was just wondering if i can index the focus wheel.

the +/- symbol is hidden behind the left bridge when the focus is set at infinity and to focus closer it moves counter clockwise and is hidden by the right bridge.
this makes the focus indexing pretty useless since the '+/- datum point' is hidden all the time.

i notice two tiny grub screws on the focus wheel. is it simply a matter of loosening these and resetting the indexing point to where i want it then re-tightening?

Welcome to Birdforum, and I have owned this model, and that is why I want to respond.

There is no reason at all for you to worry about any of the markings on the focus wheel.

You do need to set your proper IPD, "Interpupillary Distance", so get comfortable with that setting.

The next thing is to set your diopter setting to your eyes, the right eyecup is the way to get both of
your eyes in unison.
Do not loosen any screws at all on your binocular, there is no need at all.
Just spend some time and learn how to use your binocular.

Jerry

John- that's the same as mine. I want to move the zero point to about 2 o'clock when focused at infinity instead of it being at 5 o'clock like it is now.
Makes no sense to me to have the zero point hidden behind the bridges throughout its focal range.

Last edited:
Hi MoP,

As you indicate in your first post it appears to be simple, but I don’t know. Bill Cook (aka WJC on the forum) should be able to provide definitive information

It may be worthwhile to contact the local Swarovski agent, see: https://dealer-locator.swarovskioptik.com/en/dealerlocator
and then select Australia - you can phone or e-mail them

John

John:

You are trying too hard, any indexing is really useless and really not helpful
in using your binocular.

I am not a bookreader, just a user. You don't find everything useful on
the web.

It would be interesting to contact the Aus. Swarovski agent, they would laugh at the question. You would be lucky to find anyone in Absam, Tyrol, Austria that would offer any different answer. The reason is that the index shown is a simple approximation. It is not meant to really use.

Jerry

Guess it depends which part moves with the focusing element. If the inner ring with the index markings turns with the focus element then it can't be changed. Loosening the grub screws would simply let the outer ring turn and not achieve anything. If vice versa is true then it should be possible to move the index part in relation to the focusing element.

Maybe an email to Swaro....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back