Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Where will you be starting your 2013 list

Old Sunday 30th December 2012, 18:25   #1
Brian2

Where will you be starting your 2013 list

I have been visiting Titchwell as my annual new years day tick venue and with a day to go I'm just wondering where others plan to start their new year list.

Do you have a ritual?
Do you plan it around any rarities that have hung around for new years day?
Do you visit your patch or do you just not bother with a new list at all?
Old Sunday 30th December 2012, 19:28   #2
Farnboro John

I have a two-centre century run planned, local patch in the morning and Selsey area in the afternoon. Given decent weather I should make the hundred and pick up a few mammals to start that list off as well.

John
Old Sunday 30th December 2012, 20:29   #3
borealowl47
Darrell Neufeld

Have a ritual for a few years now,Assiniboine Park and feeders nearby.My first try at it produced a cardinal and saw-whet owl!I was hooked then on!Basic reason is a good list of species can be found here,compared to the rest of Manitoba,unless you drive hundreds of miles!A nice rarity was close by a few days back,Northern Hawk Owl,will try for it.

https://www.facebook.com/events/104905393017619/

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 30th December 2012, 22:08   #4
veagle

I will be looking for Snowy Owls and other goodies in the Pierre, SD area on New Years Day.
Latest New Mexico Bird: White-throated Swift (172)
Old Sunday 30th December 2012, 22:43   #5
Samuel Perfect

Unfortunately nowhere glamorous for me, Hilfield park Reservoir in Hertfordshire, simply because I haven't been there for a while and it's in cycling distance from the house.
Old Sunday 30th December 2012, 23:00   #6
Nightranger
Senior Moment

Elton Reservoir as soon as I surface (hangover not necessarily included but ususually present).

I am sure most people start on their local patch and therein lies the real fun because some of the tastiest ticks will be elsewhere. Here's hoping everyone has a mega on their local patch in 2013. Cheers everyone and good luck!

Ian Peters
Old Sunday 30th December 2012, 23:27   #7
csanchez7

Lucky Hammock just outside of Everglades National Park, where I will start my run for breaking the Big Day record for Miami-Dade.

Carlos
Old Sunday 30th December 2012, 23:39   #8
jacana
Will Jones

Usually I start with birding around the village and then I head in the general direction of Venus Pool. It's been a bit dead there lately so I might head up north Shropshire way to the Meres and Mosses area.
Latest World 2020: Saker Falcon (231)
Old Monday 31st December 2012, 06:16   #9
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanchez7 View Post
Lucky Hammock just outside of Everglades National Park, where I will start my run for breaking the Big Day record for Miami-Dade.

Carlos
Sounds like an appropriate place to start... best of luck with the record-breaking attempt. What is the current record?

John
Old Monday 31st December 2012, 13:09   #10
Nightjar61
ABA 600 Club

My ritual is to go to bed early on New Year's Eve so I can get up early on New Year's Day. (My days of staying up late are long gone). I usually start by spending an hour or so checking out what comes to the feeders in the back yard, and then hit as many good birding sites as I can during the day to see as many species as possible.

This will be the first time I'll be spending the first day of the new year birding in West Virginia. I have a route planned out and a target list of around 40 species. Birding this route should take most of the day. When I was in Indiana, I was usually able to see up to 60 species, but the habitat isn't as varied here and it's therefore not quite as birdy.

However, tomorrow's forecast calls for one to three inches of snow, so my plans may be foiled.

Dave
Latest Preston County Lifer (No. 243): Sanderling, 9/10/20
Old Monday 31st December 2012, 13:32   #11
Brian2

Interesting to see I'm not alone in this dilemma of where to go or even should I go?
do I have targets? surely everybody wants to see 100 on 1st Jan....or is that just me?

If asked why I couldn't begin to tell you..... why I need to see the Robin again that's been in my garden all year......it's just the nature of the hobby and I remain convinced it's just a reason for me to get up and out to some great places..the birds are there and give me the reason to go but it's much more than counting birds!

anyway..whatever you do, wherever you go...may the force be with you!
Old Monday 31st December 2012, 13:35   #12
The sniper

Seeing as I am working all night as a taxi driver I am hoping a barn/tawny or little owl will be first up on my list just after midnight
Old Monday 31st December 2012, 14:08   #13
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

I don't keep a list but I'll be heading to Penclacwydd with the children.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 31st December 2012, 15:33   #14
Geoff Brown

Well as I am in the Frampton RSPB Visitor Centre tomorrow I suppose I will start there, but I don't bother keeping any list nowadays! Not that there was ever very much on one anyway.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 31st December 2012, 17:35   #15
Gill Osborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian2 View Post
Interesting to see I'm not alone in this dilemma of where to go or even should I go?
do I have targets? surely everybody wants to see 100 on 1st Jan....or is that just me?

If asked why I couldn't begin to tell you..... why I need to see the Robin again that's been in my garden all year......it's just the nature of the hobby and I remain convinced it's just a reason for me to get up and out to some great places..the birds are there and give me the reason to go but it's much more than counting birds!
That sums it up perfectly It's like every January 1st is a clean sheet and a chance to achieve and/or catch up with whatever you missed the previous year.....and believe me, I have missed some VERY easy birds

Tomorrow will be the first New Years Day I've had off in nearly 7 years so I plan to get out at first light and stay out until dusk Can't decide whether to go to the meeting at Beadnell of my local bird club OR, as in previous years, have a day out on my own and find my own birds.....edging towards the latter Forecast is dry & sunny all day so I think I might just be heading down to Cresswell first and work my way up the coastline. I'll be happy with 50 birds......tho' wouldn't say no to more

My 2012 Year List ended on 145 but that was caused A LOT by my being stuck in a job which often had me working 6 or 7 days a week I quit 10 days ago so am now free to do a lot....an OBSCENE amount....of birding until finances dictate my scouring the job ads once more

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 31st December 2012, 17:42   #16
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

I'm taking part in the Foot It challenge so I'll be within walking distance of home all day.

Still time to register if you want to have a go. Foot It Challenge

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 31st December 2012, 18:00   #17
Brian2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Osborne View Post

My 2012 Year List ended on 145 but that was caused A LOT by my being stuck in a job which often had me working 6 or 7 days a week I quit 10 days ago so am now free to do a lot....an OBSCENE amount....of birding until finances dictate my scouring the job ads once more
Good for you..have a cracking 2013
Old Monday 31st December 2012, 18:58   #18
Tideliner

I could never see the point of keeping a list. I will be out tomorrow , keeping well away from poplar bird watching sites and anything interesting will be recorded , but making a list or chasing rare birds , I do not think so.

Last edited by Tideliner : Monday 31st December 2012 at 19:01.
Old Monday 31st December 2012, 19:01   #19
Penny Clarke

At home
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=247571

Penny
Old Monday 31st December 2012, 19:05   #20
Nightranger
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideliner View Post
I could never see the point of keeping a list. I will be out tomorrow , and anything interesting will be recorded , but making a list , I do not think so.
It's funny you should say that, I have never seen the point of keeping lists either, yet I always have. I suppose it is a way of motivating myself to do what I already enjoy but particularly on the days when it would be easier to stay in bed or watch Time Team re-runs on More4.

My New Year resolution is to go back to collecting information properly for the GMBRG and Birdtrack, which involves...keeping lists.

Ian Peters
Old Monday 31st December 2012, 19:08   #21
Farnboro John

As my memory becomes less reliable for exact dates, years etc, my notebooks become not only a mine of information but also the keys to unlock reminiscences. In ten years I haven't missed a day (they're not all complete day lists, obviously!) and I recommend doing it against your own ageing process.

John
Old Monday 31st December 2012, 19:52   #22
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Heartily agree John, I've got notebooks going back to 1988, those from before then seem to have disappeared. It is amazing how much help they are in bringing back the memories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
As my memory becomes less reliable for exact dates, years etc, my notebooks become not only a mine of information but also the keys to unlock reminiscences. In ten years I haven't missed a day (they're not all complete day lists, obviously!) and I recommend doing it against your own ageing process.

John

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 31st December 2012, 20:03   #23
Swindon Addick
BF Supporter 2020

I never kept lists until I got into using BirdTrack. Lists are kind of essential for that, and a year list pretty much writes itself. I couldn't imagine not doing it now, and eventually curiosity got the better of me and I worked out a life list by adding all the species I remembered seeing before I started with BirdTrack. Still more interested in watching birds than in ticking for its own sake, though (which is just as well given that my list isn't very long!)

Anyway, to answer the original question: the RSPB reserve at Newport Wetlands, followed by watching Newport County play football, pitch inspection permitting.

BF Supporter 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 31st December 2012, 21:46   #24
Zheljko

Quote:
As my memory becomes less reliable for exact dates, years etc, my notebooks become not only a mine of information but also the keys to unlock reminiscences.
I agree. I went over my actual notes and found that many species that I thought I saw in RL were actually in pictures pasted on FB by my birdwatching friends. We all discussed the pictures and had great fun just as if we were all at the spot together that morning (instead in different towns or boroughs).
Old Monday 31st December 2012, 22:07   #25
Gill Osborne

Quote:

John
Funny you should mention that John. After years of having various notes haphazardly left in my basic pocket notebooks that usually end up lost or fall apart and a LOT of my important dates - Lifers, First Spring Birds, First Winter Birds, Flowering Dates etc - stored here on BF, I actually went and bought a page-a-day A5 diary the other day so that I can scribble the day-to-day observations in as I see them (or at the end of the day) which HAS to be better than having to scroll through pages of my postings on BF or cursing because I cannot find a particular notebook

I will get organised

Off to bed now.....see y'all next year XXXXXX

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: