• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL v SLC v Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Gray C

Grumpy old bugger
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a pair of Swarovski SLC 8x42 and I am thinking about getting a pair of 10 x magnification binoculars.

Of the bins mentioned above what are the pros and cons of each binocular? I usually wear glasses, so eye relief is a consideration

I have a pair of Leica Ultravid 8x20 but have been disappointed with the service from Leica so I suppose quality of after sales service should be a consideration too.

I know trying each pair to get a feel for each one is important but I was just wanting the thoughts of others in this matter.

Last edited:
Hi Gray,

I can't do a comparison for you; what I can say is after reading Roger Vine's review of the 10x42 SLC WB it seemed just the thing for a 10x42: smallish, solid, Swarovski quality control and great contrast. So I did a risky thing and ordered one over the phone untried.

Absolutely sensational and no complaints. I have no wish even to try let alone buy another pair of 10s and suspect that feeling won't change. To me the colour is a touch warmer than most ELs, which to my taste are a bit bluish anyway. Obvious things that might bother you are that they don't focus too close, so not a great choice for butterflies and insects, and they need quite a lot of focuser turning so if you want to adjust in a hurry to follow a fast-moving bird they aren't the best choice. But the contrast and colour are superb; looking at a blackbird at about ten yards is breathtaking - they are properly black yet the detail is not lost in that blackness. I also prefer them for not having a flat field though both types of design, slight pincushion and flat field have their fans.

Possibly one of the features that clinched my happiness with the blind purchase was the small, sturdy size and comparative light weight. They are shorter and lighter than the 8x42 SLC WB.

Obviously the other two you mention are great binoculars too. So all I am doing is saying how great I find the 10x42 SLC; many might say the others are better. I know these have given me as much or more pleasure than any other binoculars AND that they have dispelled my worries about the difficulty of holding a 10x steady.

Your face, hands, preferences may all be different; so unlike me go and try them all out!

Best of luck,

Tom

Roger Vine's review http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro10x42SLCHD.htm includes a comparison with the EL 10x42. Remember he is writing from the viewpoint of an astronomer, so puts flat field as a high priority. But then again bear in mind he is very impressed by the SLC, which isn't flat field. Personally I find the image very usable and satisfying quite far out to the edge, not that doing that seems a particularly useful way of working most of the time. Occasionally when looking from a narrow window I am forced to use the edge and as said it's not disappointing by my standards.

Last edited:
Gray,

Something occurred to me: do you find your experience of the 8x42 SLC matches anything I've said about the 10s? For instance about the colour and contrast and comfortable hold?

I know they aren't the most handsome brothers in the binocular world but somehow they just feel compact, strong, and just right. Not everyone is sold on the focusers but I have no complaints; the view stops me noticing any shortcomings when I'm using them.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi

I have a pair of Swarovski SLC 8x42 and I am thinking about getting a pair of 10 x magnification binoculars.

Of the bins mentioned above what are the pros and cons of each binocular? I usually wear glasses, so eye relief is a consideration

I have a pair of Leica Ultravid 8x20 but have been disappointed with the service from Leica so I suppose quality of after sales service should be a consideration too.

I know trying each pair to get a feel for each one is important but I was just wanting the thoughts of others in this matter.

Hi Gray,

You should exercise caution because the eye relief of the 10x42 SLC (16mm) is 2.5mm shorter than the 8x42 SLC (18.5mm.) If you're farsighted like me that 2.5mm difference could be a deal breaker, particularly since you're already accustomed to the longer eye relief of the 8x42.

Ed

If I were you I would wait a couple month's and get the new Zeiss 10x32 SF. A 392 foot FOV in a 10x should be awesome and a weight of 20.8 oz. is going to be much nicer carrying all day than a 28 to 30 oz. 42mm. Most of the time you won't notice the difference in brightness between the 32mm and the 42mm especially if you are older but you WILL notice the weight. When I go birding I find myself grabbing the lighter more compact binocular's in my collection even though they might not be the very best optically. You can't underestimate the importance of compact size and and light weight in a binocular. I have heard rumor's that the new little Zeiss uses a different type of focusing lens that control's glare better so I would wait.

Last edited:
Gray,

Something occurred to me: do you find your experience of the 8x42 SLC matches anything I've said about the 10s? For instance about the colour and contrast and comfortable hold?

I know they aren't the most handsome brothers in the binocular world but somehow they just feel compact, strong, and just right. Not everyone is sold on the focusers but I have no complaints; the view stops me noticing any shortcomings when I'm using them.

Thanks,

Tom

I find the 8x42 to be excellent in all aspects. If I have a slight criticism it would be that I find the focus wheel to be a bit stiff at certain points on focusing

I would be happy to have the 10x42 SLC if they as good as my existing bins

I did have a pair of Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 on loan for a while but was not able to directly compare them with my Swarovskis

I find the 8x42 to be excellent in all aspects. If I have a slight criticism it would be that I find the focus wheel to be a bit stiff at certain points on focusing

I'd have to say the focus wheel is not quite in the league of my FL and definitely not as good as my EDG but as suggested it doesn't cross my mind when I'm using them in the field or garden (as opposed to just trying them out and fiddling about).

Regarding the eye relief I can't comment: I use mine with the eyecups fully retracted and without glasses and tend to hold them with the eyecup toucning my face where the eyebrows are.

Tom

Gray,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom

I find my 8x42 SLC to be excellent in every aspect and I find them to be comparable with the ELs through my eyes, having tested both before buying.

However, I do find them a little bit uncomfortable to hold for very long, but this not a negative aspect of the binoculars but it's because I have arthritis in my left thumb. I am experimenting with holding the binoculars slightly differently to alleviate the pain.

I did have a pair of 10x42 SF on loan for a while A

nd they didn't aggravate my thumb so much.

I wouldn't swap my SLCs for anything but I do not mind adding to my collection

To stress John's point . . .

While a 3.2 mm diameter exit pupil sounds ‘somewhat’ smaller than a 5.25 mm one, when comparing the two in terms of area:
- the 5.25 mm EP has 2.7 times more area, or alternatively
- the 3.2 mm EP has only 37% of the area

So much more viewing comfort with the larger one

John

Tom

I find my 8x42 SLC to be excellent in every aspect and I find them to be comparable with the ELs through my eyes, having tested both before buying.

However, I do find them a little bit uncomfortable to hold for very long, but this not a negative aspect of the binoculars but it's because I have arthritis in my left thumb. I am experimenting with holding the binoculars slightly differently to alleviate the pain.

I did have a pair of 10x42 SF on loan for a while A

nd they didn't aggravate my thumb so much.

I wouldn't swap my SLCs for anything but I do not mind adding to my collection

Hi Gray,

That sounds like a sensible approach. And an uncomfortable hold is something that presumably will distract you and spoil your viewing pleasure however good the instrument.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back