• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski - odd business policy - near point (1 Viewer)

Lee. Let's not forget the NL 8x42 being a 42mm brings in 70% more light than SF 8x32 and because of its 5.25mm exit pupil versus the 4mm exit pupil of the SF 8x32 has easier eye placement. True, you have to carry more weight with a 42mm but there are advantages. Probably one reason 8x42's are the most popular format.

Maybe you should try to find an 8x60blc in excellent condition. Even larger exit pupil and even larger field of view: 160m /1000m. Maybe a tad heavy, but not that heavy. Two versions, one of them VERY watertight.

Hermann

Maybe you should try to find an 8x60blc in excellent condition. Even larger exit pupil and even larger field of view: 160m /1000m. Maybe a tad heavy, but not that heavy. Two versions, one of them VERY watertight.

Hermann

That will keep him busy for a while as the 8x60 blc are hard to come by, and also very expensive---the binos of the 19th century. They'd go well together with a WX 10x50---the binos of the 20th century. Back to the NL now....

Hi Jan,

Any further comments on the following aspects would be appreciated:
-glare control (when viewing near the sun or looking into a dark area under a still bright sky); the view thru 12x42 could be more affected by glare due to the smaller EP.
-no RB at all? Then the NL must have some pincushion distortion?
-the Rubenesque shape of the NLs looks unappealing to me, but you're positive that it improves handling a lot?
-no risk of the diopter adjuster to be inadvertently moved, also given its placement close to the focus wheel?
-do you have to press the rest harder on your forehead to further reduce shaking?

Peter

Last edited:
Photons per gram .......

.... in other words SF 8x32 gives you 32% more Area of View per unit of weight carried.

All the things we have to think of, to justify an SF.......B :)

Poor Lee;)

Yes Lee, but if we all put down our blue tinted glasses for even just a second, and if we crunch the numbers you and Dennis have provided, for the only metric worth considering ...... that is - photons.g^-1 , we will see that:-

The 8x42 NL delivers 'up to and more than' 28% more photons per gram than the 8x32 SF ...... :smoke:

Heck, even the humble Zen ED3 delivers more than 15% more photons per gram than the x32SF. I honestly don't know how the blue badge brigade will ever recover from such a body blow ! :eek!:

I am glad that we have now all found the most important practical metric to agree upon ! :cat: It should save a lot of desperate and futile posts in the future ! :-O

Chosun :gh:

Hi Jan,

Any further comments on the following aspects would be appreciated:
-glare control (when viewing near the sun or looking into a dark area under a still bright sky); the view thru 12x42 could be more affected by glare due to the smaller EP.
-no RB at all? Then the NL must have some pincushion distortion?
-the Rubenesque shape of the NLs looks unappealing to me, but you're positive that it improves handling a lot?
-no risk of the diopter adjuster to be inadvertently moved, also given its placement close to the focus wheel?
-do you have to press the rest harder on your forehead to further reduce shaking?

Peter

Hi Peter,

When I had the opportunity to look through both it was Dutch weather, so no chance for glare to pop up.

I did not notice any RB and yes, in the outer field of the image the vertical lines bend inwards (pincushion). I answered the same question to Henry and he called it barrel but later on I should have known that barrel is bending outwards and pincushion is bending inwards (if the whole world would speak Dutch we wouldn't have all these confusionsB :))

If you imagine to take a bin in both hands in front of you, you'll see that the form of your hands is oval and in 45 degrees angle. The NL has that size as handgrip and it feels natural (for me). It feels like the grip of a revolver. The weight and touch goes to the area where the thumb ends and the finger begins (in Dutch: "de muis van de hand").

The location of the diopter adjuster is not to worrie about.

The pressure of the head mount to my forehead was for me the same as on my eyebrows, it only felt much more comfy and steadier (for me).

Maybe Gijs could tune in for his experience.
Jan

Yes Lee, but if we all put down our blue tinted glasses for even just a second, and if we crunch the numbers you and Dennis have provided, for the only metric worth considering ...... that is - photons.g^-1 , we will see that:-

The 8x42 NL delivers 'up to and more than' 28% more photons per gram than the 8x32 SF ...... :smoke:

Heck, even the humble Zen ED3 delivers more than 15% more photons per gram than the x32SF. I honestly don't know how the blue badge brigade will ever recover from such a body blow ! :eek!:

I am glad that we have now all found the most important practical metric to agree upon ! :cat: It should save a lot of desperate and futile posts in the future ! :-O

Lee,

Can not stop laughing8-P

Jan

LOL I thought that might wake you up.

But you know those pesky little photons don't always behave themselves. Give them a couple of quantum opportunities and they will take half a dozen, enjoying jousts with electrons along the way.

How is your shoulder these days? Up to carrying an NL do you think? Pilates has helped my frozen shoulder a lot.

Lee

Absolutely correct Dennis and I am sure all of that went through your mind and was carefully considered just a few days ago when you chose a 32mm as your hiking bino.

Lee
That is what I figure. The EL 8x32 for hiking and the NL 8x42 for when I really want the ultimate view or in low light. When they get the NL 8x32 I will trade the EL 8x32 for that.

Hermann
Soft edges! I don't need that kind of water tightness!

Last edited:
I did not notice any RB and yes, in the outer field of the image the vertical lines bend inwards (pincushion). I answered the same question to Henry and he called it barrel but later on I should have known that barrel is bending outwards and pincushion is bending inwards (if the whole world would speak Dutch we wouldn't have all these confusionsB :))

Hi Jan,

Even when we're speaking the same language there's plenty of room for confusion. In pincushion distortion the center of the lines near the field edge bend inwards, in barrel distortion the ends of the lines near the field edge bend inwards. Which way was it in the NL?

Henry

Attachments

• distortion.jpg
    distortion.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 57
That is what I figure. The EL 8x32 for hiking and the NL 8x42 for when I really want the ultimate view or in low light. When they get the NL 8x32 I will trade the EL 8x32 for that.

...and then trade in the soap and brush kit for the new Swarovski Crystal-encrusted Shower Head for only $599.00 USD

Lots of questions abut the NL's.
-1- I did not see any RB in the short time I could use them.
-2- I had no dents in my forehead because of the head support, just press it a little against your head and it works well.
-3- the diopter wheel does not accidently change position, since the truning resistance is perfect enough to inhibit it.
-4- Chosun: we quickly counted the number of photons per gramm binocular, but I lost my calculations.
-5- I have medium sized hands and the NL fitted perfectly well in a sturdy and pleasant grip, just as Jan wrote.
-6- As I wrote in another post the image is very bright and considerably brighter then that of the 10x40EL-SV and it has an almost perfect color presentation.
-7- I found the turning resistance of the focussing wheel and its position very pleasant (I have medium sized hands).
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Jan,

Even when we're speaking the same language there's plenty of room for confusion. In pincushion distortion the center of the lines near the field edge bend inwards, in barrel distortion the ends of the lines near the field edge bend inwards. Which way was it in the NL?

Henry

Hi Henry,

According to your pics it is pincussion, but only the atmost outer edge line bends inwards.
Is that pincussion 2.0?;)

Jan

Hi Henry,

According to your pics it is pincussion, but only the atmost outer edge line bends inwards.
Is that pincussion 2.0?;)

Jan

Thanks Jan. That sounds like a departure from the EL SV pattern, which has some pincushion develop in the inner 70% of the field and then reverse in the outer 30% until lines near the field edge are nearly perfectly straight. The illustration I posted is exaggerated. No binocular would show that much pincushion. If the pincushion is mild only lines near the field edge will be bent enough to be readily noticed.

Henry

Last edited:
...and then trade in the soap and brush kit for the new Swarovski Crystal-encrusted Shower Head for only $599.00 USD
They really have those, don't they! I see some gold ones with Swarovski crystals for $4500.00! Actually my plan is to go down to two binoculars eventually. An NL 8x42 and an NL 8x32. For the time being, I will use the EL 8x32 until the NL 8x32 comes out.

Attachments

• home-design.jpg
    home-design.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back