• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Increasing the apparent field of view of EL 8.5x42s (1 Viewer)

mpeace

Some time ago I posted a thread about using reading glasses to increase the magnification and apparent field of view of binoculars. The thread is too old now to post to, so I've had to start a new thread.

Anyway I found they made a big difference increasing the apparent field of view and slightly increasing the magnification. Since then I've experimented and to avoid having to wear them I've shaped them into circular lenses that fit snug in the eye cups when down and are held just above the eye piece lens, so not in direct contact.

Firstly there was a bit of glare, but I then blackened the sides of the lenses and that got rid of that. Getting the most easy view needed the lenses to be facing outward and the rotation of the lenses was quite critical (glasses aren't uniform).

The end result is superb for me. I've tried the bins with and without the lenses countless times to be sure, but I absolutely prefer the binoculars now with the lenses on them. I've tried all different environments and lighting and the result is the same. They are now definitely my favorite binoculars and the one I use most.

The apparent field of view of them now is 62.6 degrees. That's up from 60 degrees without the lenses. Considering the Zeiss SF 8x42 is 64 degrees it's a very noticeable increase. The magnification is now 8.80x instead of the 8.44x that Allbinos measured and the closest focus is now 1.35m.

All in all the seemingly minor improvements have amounted to a superior pair of binoculars for me. Most importantly the apparent sharpness through increased details is improved, but they remain stable keeping all of the wide field of view. I know people on this forum tend not to mess with binoculars and would rather buy a new pair than adapt an existing pair and that's fair enough. But this is one trick that's totally paid off - it's like getting a new pair of binoculars.

The main downside is the look of them since the lenses are held on with layers of gaffer tape. I'm only concerned with the view so haven't spent time making them look better.

Attachments

• IMG_0809_small.jpg
    IMG_0809_small.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0808_small.jpg
    IMG_0808_small.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 143
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back