• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reptiles on the beach! (1 Viewer)

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
Had a couple of very serendipitous encounters on Newgale beach in Pembrokeshire on the final morning of our summer family holiday. Both courtesy of my son's sharp young eyes, first a very nice long tailed Common Lizard, followed soon after by a gorgeous little copper coloured Adder!

Attachments

• IMG_3233.JPG
    IMG_3233.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3246.JPG
    IMG_3246.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3265.JPG
    IMG_3265.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3286.JPG
    IMG_3286.JPG
    301.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 45
I don't know if it's a constant, but I used to see Adders almost daily on my mpatch in Russia and the tiny, juveniles were always a copper colour.

I don't know if it's a constant, but I used to see Adders almost daily on my mpatch in Russia and the tiny, juveniles were always a copper colour.

By contrast, the few neonates I've seen round here have been mostly yellow/black: and I remember being shown under a tin somewhere on Salisbury Plain where there were five Adders: one bog-standard yellow, two orange, one clay and one silver/black which last was, as an obvious male, counter-intuitively the biggest!

Highly variable species but always entertaining. :t:

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back