• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

[Italy] Buzzard (1 Viewer)

Grus91

Luca Giussani
Hello,
I'd like to know your opinion about this raptor seen over my house in Varese (Italy) the 9th February 2014.
Initially identified as a Common buzzard, but now i've some doubts about the original ID.
Note black carpal coverts, black trousers with white undertail coverts and lower part of vent. Note also reddish undercoverts, head and breast, absence of evident white collar (but apparently white-striped breast), very clear white area at the base of primaries and the thin subterminal tail-band with white terminal one.
There's not an evident broad black trailing edge and the tail is almost whitish.
So, simply a common buzzard or some features good for Steppe?
Sorry for the bad quality of the photos (original and lightened)!

Thanks in advance!
Luca

Attachments

• casa 09-02-2014 EG (3).jpg
    casa 09-02-2014 EG (3).jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 2016-11-20 21.40.53.jpg
    2016-11-20 21.40.53.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Juvenile vulpinus is not advisable to seperate from buteo in the field and certainly not from a photo like this....

Besides vulpinus is a longdistance migrant and would be unlikely to see in Europe in the midst of winter.

Sorry;)

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back